The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > Legal Issues

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Legal Issues Traffic tickets | Laws | Pending Legislation

Unread 05-12-2008, 10:57 AM   #31
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiMuscle View Post
If anything i should have gotten a ticket for driving 5 under the speed limit, if theres such a law. which i wouldnt be surprised if there was after getting ticketed for this BS. The Police here doesnt even patrol the neighborhood streets anymore they are soo concerned with traffic tickets. Just last week I saw a couple of lil hoodlums no older than 15 breaking into a parked car about 3 blocks from my house, i scared them away and immediatly drove to a patrol car i passed that was stopped making a traffic stop not too far away and parked behind him to tell him what i saw. When i pulled up behind him, i turned my emergency lights on and was about to get out and he yelled at me to move and that i couldnt park there lol i then got out anyways and told him what i saw and he asked if my property was affected, i said no and he said he would look into it. It almost seemed like he didnt even care he was soo busy writting his ticket, i went home parked my car and decided to take a walk around the block incase i saw them again so that i could point them out to the police i was sure was on there way in numbers. Guess what?? about 15-20 minutes later i saw a marked patrol car make about 2 quick laps around the block and then he pulled onto Harding ave and next thing i know he was pulling someone over because i heard his siren and saw him follwing a car with his lights on as he passed the intersection i was walking on. I felt like going up to him and saying "thats it!! your giving up that fast??", but i didnt even bother, id probably get arrested for harrassing a law officer or vigilante or some other trumped up charge just to get me off his back. i bet u that officer doesnt even live in my neighborhood, youd figure they would be contributing to society, instead of being a drain on it.
It's ok Shadow, I can see I was wrong about the original poster here. He started off real cool like, but has turned into the young "Up against the terrible governement machine" victim of police harrassment since they would rather give him a TRAFFIC INFRACTION instead of arresting FELONY BURGLARS. I won't bother the direct quotes since I quoted the entire slanderous paragraph above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichZ
Calling into question the actions of a cop is not cop bashing. It is expressing my opinions of the details that were provided here.
Calling him a Wyatt Earp wannabe is in fact cop bashing / name calling which you so vehemiantly deny doing and have up to this point in legal discussions avoided. You want to say the officer was wrong based on one severly biased opinion of the original poster then so be it, but don't get all up in arms over me "calling a spade a spade".

Quote:
If YOU consider that as cop bashing, then that is YOUR observation and opinion, not necessarily having anything at all to do with FACT. I'm simply exercising MY right to call a spade a spade, based on the evidence I have viewed. You may interpret it differently, and more power to you if that is the case. But don't come here on THIS site bashing on ME because of YOUR own contrary opinion.
I didn't bash anyone, I called a spade a spade. I am exercising my right to say so as well. You are in fact the owner of the site and you say it's open to all points of view, but we'll see.. I seemed to have hit a nerve by the "how dare he say his opinion about me on my board" (Sounds like the bigger site doesn't it). You called the officer (who is not available for his side of the story) a Wyatt Earp Wannabe. If I called a docter a Quack, or a Lawyer a Shark, then we can all agree that those phrases are derrogatory in nature. When you have several members on this board who are police you have to understand that we are not going to appreciate the use of derrogatory phrases. We hear it in our professional lives from all the a$$holes we have to deal with on a daily basis. The people we deal with are usually the lower end of society, not the 90 plus percent of decent people in the world. Traffic is the one thing that causes us to interact with the decent end of society since tickets are available to anyone (including police officers who get them too. I've had some...). DUI is another traffic situation that good people get caught up in. When you appear and act as a friend to someone then turn around and start ranting and raving about the police and how we are soooo terrible by stealing all of your hard earned money for vague and out dated laws because we are a full and willing participant in the terrible government machine then I can see where the opinions are really going. You need to re-direct the sarcasm and anger toward the people making the laws, and not the troops who are given the job to enforce the laws. I'm sure you are not too happy about the Iraq war, but I don't hear you slamming the poor soldiers who are dying for the BS oil companies that started the war, now do you?

HATE THE WAR, NOT THE SOLDIERS!!

What on earth do you ... as the absolute voice of reason in this giant world... think we should do? Should we abolish all traffic laws? How about just the "stupid" ones that YOU don't agree with? Maybe we can do like Europe (since Germany was brought up in an earlier post) and fine people based on their income? Maybe this year you have a sucessful year breeding snakes and that happens to be the same year you get caught on photo radar on the side of the road. Hell you were only caught for 9 over but because it was a good year for you your fine is now.... say maybe $4,000 dollars... for 9 over,,, because you want cameras everywhere like in UK. Then the schmuck who lives on welfare because he is to friggin lazy to get a job runs through the same radar at 20 or 25 over and he gets a $50 fine... Oh ggeezzzz... I can hear the bitchin now!!! But hey it's all on film, and there is no way to fight it because you took away the officers discretion to write or not write based on the cameras doing all the work now.... Wow that certianly is a good idea....

As Shadow said earlier the officers believe in the job they are doing. There is no lightning that will strike them if they write a grudge ticket, but I do not know or work with any officers that will write an unlawful ticket "Just because". I know that officers exist that will do that, but just like any profession they are few and far between. Eventually they get found out and are eliminated from the picture. The common perception by thye public is that they are ALL OVER THE PLACE. This is because the media doesn't print a story about the officer that pulled the suicidal person off the bridge when they were jumping (as I have done, and an FHP friend has done in a different incident) or tell the story of the officers that ran into the shooting situation where an exboyfriend was trying to kill the new boyfriend. The same situation that all too often gets an officer hurt or killed, yet on this date no officers died thankfully and only the bad guy died from a self inflicted gunshot wound (again a true story I was involved in but never saw one word of in the news). But they sure as heck will print the story over and over about the one bad officer of that department who was caught on video taking one extra poke at a suspect who fled and was tackled on the ground. Or better yet the idiot in the Hillsborough County jail who dumped the guy out of the wheel chair on video that she KNEW was there. That officer has tarnished ALOT of other badges by her juvenile and illegal behavior, and then the public believes we all do BS like that.

This is a case of one persons point of view and several others that have jumped onto the bandwagon to give the 'ol "yea I knew the officers are just big ol bad meanies",,,, and I'll tell you what It gets very old. I was a member of this board in the first few memberships and I have always thought that things stayed pretty balanced here,, but as of late I'm not so sure anymore.

I will have to sit back and see what happens here before I make any rash decisions, but it seems as though this board has gotten a bit one sided in recent conversations. I hate to limit myself to just LEO boards, but I don't want to see this garbage in my off time because I see enough of it in my on duty time. People wonder why LEO can be so click-ish but this can be a good example of why. I know this thread has not reached the level of the bigger forum's attacks, but I only surf the for sale section anymore on that site b/c of the bashing. I figure the FS section doesn't have the BS banter and I can pick up some cool stuff for my ride, so why not? Maybe I should do like most of my club and just leave the boards alone and just hang with the true friends that realize there are two sides to every story. I hear less from a fellow club member who works for the public defender's office than I do on this board as of late.

Peace out
Rant off.
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2008, 11:03 AM   #32
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road

Quote:
[color="red"]If anything i should have gotten a ticket for driving 5 under the speed limit, if theres such a law[/COLOR]. which i wouldnt be surprised if there was after getting ticketed for this BS. The Police here doesnt even patrol the neighborhood streets anymore they are soo concerned with traffic tickets. Just last week I saw a couple of lil hoodlums no older than 15 breaking into a parked car about 3 blocks from my house, i scared them away and immediatly drove to a patrol car i passed that was stopped making a traffic stop not too far away and parked behind him to tell him what i saw. When i pulled up behind him, i turned my emergency lights on and was about to get out and he yelled at me to move and that i couldnt park there lol i then got out anyways and told him what i saw and he asked if my property was affected, i said no and he said he would look into it. It almost seemed like he didnt even care he was soo busy writting his ticket, i went home parked my car and decided to take a walk around the block incase i saw them again so that i could point them out to the police i was sure was on there way in numbers. Guess what?? about 15-20 minutes later i saw a marked patrol car make about 2 quick laps around the block and then he pulled onto Harding ave and next thing i know he was pulling someone over because i heard his siren and saw him follwing a car with his lights on as he passed the intersection i was walking on. I felt like going up to him and saying "thats it!! your giving up that fast??", but i didnt even bother, id probably get arrested for harrassing a law officer or vigilante or some other trumped up charge just to get me off his back. i bet u that officer doesnt even live in my neighborhood, youd figure they would be contributing to society, instead of being a drain on it.
It's ok Shadow, I can see I was wrong about the original poster here. He started off real cool like, but has turned into the young "Up against the terrible governement machine" victim of police harrassment since they would rather give him a TRAFFIC INFRACTION instead of arresting FELONY BURGLARS. I won't bother the direct quotes since I quoted the entire slanderous paragraph above.

Quote:
Calling into question the actions of a cop is not cop bashing. It is expressing my opinions of the details that were provided here.
Calling him a Wyatt Earp wannabe is in fact cop bashing / name calling which you so vehemiantly deny doing and have up to this point in legal discussions avoided. You want to say the officer was wrong based on one severly biased opinion of the original poster then so be it, but don't get all up in arms over me "calling a spade a spade".

Quote:
If YOU consider that as cop bashing, then that is YOUR observation and opinion, not necessarily having anything at all to do with FACT. I'm simply exercising MY right to call a spade a spade, based on the evidence I have viewed. You may interpret it differently, and more power to you if that is the case. But don't come here on THIS site bashing on ME because of YOUR own contrary opinion.
I didn't bash anyone, I called a spade a spade. I am exercising my right to say so as well. You are in fact the owner of the site and you say it's open to all points of view, but we'll see.. I seemed to have hit a nerve by the "how dare he say his opinion about me on my board" (Sounds like the bigger site doesn't it). You called the officer (who is not available for his side of the story) a Wyatt Earp Wannabe. If I called a docter a Quack, or a Lawyer a Shark, then we can all agree that those phrases are derrogatory in nature. When you have several members on this board who are police you have to understand that we are not going to appreciate the use of derrogatory phrases. We hear it in our professional lives from all the a$$holes we have to deal with on a daily basis. The people we deal with are usually the lower end of society, not the 90 plus percent of decent people in the world. Traffic is the one thing that causes us to interact with the decent end of society since tickets are available to anyone (including police officers who get them too. I've had some...). DUI is another traffic situation that good people get caught up in. When you appear and act as a friend to someone then turn around and start ranting and raving about the police and how we are soooo terrible by stealing all of your hard earned money for vague and out dated laws because we are a full and willing participant in the terrible government machine then I can see where the opinions are really going. You need to re-direct the sarcasm and anger toward the people making the laws, and not the troops who are given the job to enforce the laws. I'm sure you are not too happy about the Iraq war, but I don't hear you slamming the poor soldiers who are dying for the BS oil companies that started the war, now do you?

HATE THE WAR, NOT THE SOLDIERS!!

What on earth do you ... as the absolute voice of reason in this giant world... think we should do? Should we abolish all traffic laws? How about just the "stupid" ones that YOU don't agree with? Maybe we can do like Eourope (since Germany was brought up in an earlier post) and fine people based on their income? Maybe this year you have a sucessful year breeding snakes and that happens to be the same year you get caught on photo radar on the side of the road. Hell you were only caught for 9 over but because it was a good year for you your fine is now.... say maybe $4,000 dollars... for 9 over,,, because you want cameras everywhere like in UK. Then the schmuck who lives on welfare because he is to friggin lazy to get a job runs through the same radar at 20 or 25 over and he gets a $50 fine... Oh ggeezzzz... I can hear the bitchin now!!! But hey it's all on film, and there is no way to fight it because you took away the officers discretion to write or not write based on the cameras doing all the work now.... Wow that certianly is a good idea....

As Shadow said earlier the officers believe in the job they are doing. There is no lightning that will strike them if they write a grudge ticket, but I do not know or work with any officers that will write an unlawful ticket "Just because". I know that officers exist that will do that, but just like any profession they are few and far between. Eventually they get found out and are eliminated from the picture. The common perception by thye public is that they are ALL OVER THE PLACE. This is because the media doesn't print a story about the officer that pulled the suicidal person off the bridge when they were jumping (as I have done, and an FHP friend has done in a different incident) or tell the story of the officers that ran into the shooting situation where an exboyfriend was trying to kill the new boyfriend. The same situation that all too often gets an officer hurt or killed, yet on this date no officers died thankfully and only the bad guy died from a self inflicted gunshot wound (again a true story I was involved in but never saw one word of in the news). But they sure as heck will print the story over and over about the one bad officer of that department who was caught on video taking one extra poke at a suspect who fled and was tackled on the ground. Or better yet the idiot in the Hillsborough County jail who dumped the guy out of the wheel chair on video that she KNEW was there. That officer has tarnished ALOT of other badges by her juvenile and illegal behavior, and then the public believes we all do BS like that.

This is a case of one persons point of view and several others that have jumped onto the bandwagon to give the 'ol "yea I knew the officers are just big ol bad meanies",,,, and I'll tell you what It gets very old. I was a member of this borad in the first few memberships and I have always thought that thigs stayed pretty balanced here,, but as of late I'm not so sure anymore.

I will have to sit back and see what happens here before I make any rash decisions, but it seems as though this board has gotten a bit one sided in recent conversations. I hate to limit myself to just LEO boards, but I don't want to see this garbage in my off time because I see enough of it in my on duty time. People wonder why LEO can be so click-ish but this can be a good example of why. I know this thread has not reached the level of the bigger forum's attacks, but I only surf the for sale section anymore on that site b/c of the bashing. I figure the FS section doesn't have the BS banter and I can pick up some cool stuff for my ride, so why not? Maybe I should do like most of my club and just leave the boards alone and just hang with the true friends that realize there are two sides to every story. I hear less from a fellow club member who works for the public defender's office than I do on this board as of late.

Peace out
Rant off.
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2008, 01:19 PM   #33
Lou G

Name :
Lou G is on a distinguished road

Z06 Rocket and Shadow, God bless you gentlemen and thank you for all you do to keep us safe. My son is a Fed 1811 and I am very proud of him.
Lou
Lou G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2008, 02:20 PM   #34
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Rocket View Post
This is a case of one persons point of view and several others that have jumped onto the bandwagon to give the 'ol "yea I knew the officers are just big ol bad meanies",,,, and I'll tell you what It gets very old. I was a member of this board in the first few memberships and I have always thought that things stayed pretty balanced here,, but as of late I'm not so sure anymore.

Peace out
Rant off.
Be that as it may, I expressed my opinion of the issue as stated by a member here in relation to the facts as expressed by his point of view. If those facts are accurate, then I DO stand by my assessment of that particular officer's actions. If YOU choose to interpret this as a general bashing of ALL cops, then perhaps you are jumping to conclusions that are just not warranted. I am not bashing YOU for your opinions, and I would appreciate YOU not bashing me for mine. If you would prefer limiting yourself to sites that put blinders on everyone and only allows a strictly enforced point of view about certain topics, then by all means, enjoy yourself there. That will not be the case here. Just about all topics are openly invited, within reasonably broad limitations concerning good taste and socially acceptable topics. With the stated limitation that openly bashing other members will actively be discouraged in the process of discussing controversial topics. That is an atmosphere I would prefer to not have on this site.

Sorry, but I am just not going to create some rule stating that complaints about law enforcement will NOT be welcome on this site. Quite frankly if the incident shows that the shoe fits, then the person(s) involved certainly should wear that shoe, not hope that the administration of a site will just sweep it under the carpet for them. If there are some rogue cops out there, and a member chooses to mention it here, then quite frankly, I can see no logical reason at all why I should inhibit such a discussion. To be perfectly frank, if it is the goal of law enforcement to weed out such problem LEOs, then how better to help that process then by bringing it to light?

And while I am thinking about it, if there are a LOT of sites that engage in LEO bashing, as you say, then isn't that perhaps telling you something? Is there even the smallest possibility that perhaps the problems are more widespread than you would care to admit? Am I reading you wrong or are you blatantly stating that you believe that ALL LEOs, no matter what the circumstances, should be exempt completely from any public criticism? If that is the case, sorry, but I am not going to try to muzzle members here about such topics. Seriously, how much of the world going around him do you think an ostrich sees when he sticks his head in the sand? And if you wish to surround yourself solely with people who act, think, and talk just like you do, then isn't that exactly what you are doing?
Unread 05-12-2008, 07:10 PM   #35
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
And while I am thinking about it, if there are a LOT of sites that engage in LEO bashing, as you say, then isn't that perhaps telling you something? Is there even the smallest possibility that perhaps the problems are more widespread than you would care to admit? Am I reading you wrong or are you blatantly stating that you believe that ALL LEOs, no matter what the circumstances, should be exempt completely from any public criticism? If that is the case, sorry, but I am not going to try to muzzle members here about such topics. Seriously, how much of the world going around him do you think an ostrich sees when he sticks his head in the sand? And if you wish to surround yourself solely with people who act, think, and talk just like you do, then isn't that exactly what you are doing?
Alright guys, come on! I think everyones getting a bit thin skinned here. Some places would have had this locked and/or deleted by now. One thing I like here is the freedom to be open.

That said, I have to take exception with the first sentence.

I don't think the problems are widespread.Statistically I'm certain the numbers are quite small compared to the number of LEO's doing the job on a daily basis.

What I see more frequently are problems with public perception. The public believes what it percieves. As Rocket said, good deeds generally don't make huge press

The idiot in the jail will be news for years. Let one cop save a life, it'll be evening news...maybe...then it's never heard from again

I understand where you're coming from Rich, mainly because we've hung out together a bit. Rocket, Rich really doesn't have a cop hater bone in his body

But painting all LEO's with a such a wide brush is what a lot of guys get tired of. I can't disagree with that either.

I come here to enjoy the cars, the friendships and the interaction. I come here because these are people, unlike the larger national forums, that I'm more likely to see on a regular or semi regular basis.

I'm a member of a club but don't involve myself with it. Why? Don't have the time

So this is my main interaction with the vette community.

I not sure how the OP had a "victim" attitude? I see how he would get the perception that the police in his jurisdiction are only there to write tickets and create an income for the agency. It's the same with WALDO and some other small towns. The police tend to bring these things on themselves.
IF I had been in his shoes, I'd probably think the same thing!
Some times we just bring this crap on ourselves.

I do not frequent cop sites anymore. I did for a short while and was very disapointed with what I read Childish, us against the world attitudes and even bashing among the agencies. When full grown men started referring to themselves as "star man" and "star men" like they were comic book charachters, I'd had enough!! Instead of using that one site in particular to share information that may keep a brother alive or bring a criminal to justice, instead of using the site to vent to keep the BP down and instead of supporting one another regardless of the uniform or jurisdiction, they would demean and belittle other agencies, especially the smaller ones and talk of "takeovers" abounded

Got pretty sickening and I just never went back.

As one who has worked for both MAJOR (4th largest in the country) and minor (freaking Mayberry,-even had Barney...I swear it!), I can tell you first hand that the risks are the same and the level of dedication is there regardless of what you wear on your chestThe difference? When things went to hell in a handbaket in a small town, you'd better be well equipped mentally and physically to handle them....BY YOURSELF!!

In the larger agencies, I still see 3-4-5 + officers on scene of a DUI or other arrest. I'm happy to see that, but again, don't put down the little guys either.

Anyway, after witnessing all the COP BASHING on the LEO sites, I just never went back...

I don't want to see that happen here. It's pretty prevelent on the nationwide Corvette Sites and I'd like to think, maybe because we can actually get together and see each other on occason, that we are better than that.

I don't want to see us like other sites. Over moderated and "edited" for correctness. It's pretty sickening when a person, regardless of thier perspective, can't voice thier opinion

But I don't want to see friends and associates going at each other either

My final comment....PLEASE-state your opinions, try to support them with facts when possible, and try to keep the name calling to a minimum. Maybe the Wyatt Erp Wannabe statement could have been prefaced with "the officer in question" At least that doesn't throw all of them in the same pool.

Thanks guys/
Gordon
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2008, 07:27 PM   #36
Shadow

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou G View Post
Z06 Rocket and Shadow, God bless you gentlemen and thank you for all you do to keep us safe. My son is a Fed 1811 and I am very proud of him.
Lou
Thank you Lou, but the honors for this one go to Rocket

I'm no longer active in the field. I've retired and then, after 15 years as a fully certified part timer, I'm gone again.

Might go back somewhere near the end of the year. Had a few offers and really enjoy the work, but some of the political BS, well, not sure I want to keep putting up with it. I'm pretty "old school" and feel getting the job done means more than keeping some "suit" happy

But thanks for the kudos anyway, it's truly appreciated and tell you son to stay safe out there

Gordon
Unread 05-12-2008, 07:34 PM   #37
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
My final comment....PLEASE-state your opinions, try to support them with facts when possible, and try to keep the name calling to a minimum. Maybe the Wyatt Erp Wannabe statement could have been prefaced with "the officer in question" At least that doesn't throw all of them in the same pool.

Thanks guys/
Gordon
Actually, my "Wyatt Earp wannabe" statement, taken in the context of the post it was made in was SPECIFICALLY concerning the officer in question and related to the stated evidence presented by the original poster:

Quote:
Don't let some modern day Wyatt Earp wannabe take away your enjoyment of driving your car. Make him PROVE his claims in court. Not just toss out some half baked suppositions and assumptions that he can't back up with hard data. MAKE him show data indicating how rapidly you got from point A to point B and how fast you were going at the time. If he doesn't have PROOF, then he doesn't have a case. Matter of fact, since you were apparently data logging with your tuning software, YOU do, in fact have PROOF to show to the judge. That data should show everything you need in order to prove your case. It SHOULD show engine RPM, throttle positioning, and vehicle speed related to time. ALL of those factors will indicate your acceleration at the time the officer claims you were violating HIS (possibly flawed) interpretation of the law.
How someone could interpret that statement to mean a broad brushed general cop bashing tirade is beyond me. Sorry about that perception, but it certainly was not my intent. My comment stands, as is, concerning that particular officer in THIS incident. If the original poster posted the truth and unembellished details of the situation then it is my OPINION that the cop was being overly ambitious, abusive, or simply mistaken in how he chose to enforce the law in this particular case. Perhaps there were extenuating circumstances not divulged here, but pending any other evidence to the contrary, that is MY opinion formulated from those details at my disposal.
Unread 05-13-2008, 01:29 AM   #38
MiamiMuscle

Name :
MiamiMuscle has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
I not sure how the OP had a "victim" attitude? I see how he would get the perception that the police in his jurisdiction are only there to write tickets and create an income for the agency. It's the same with WALDO and some other small towns. The police tend to bring these things on themselves.
IF I had been in his shoes, I'd probably think the same thing!
Some times we just bring this crap on ourselves.
Ok I admit that I might have gone a little bit overboard in making those 2 or 3 assumptions, but honestly its how I truly feel based on what I witness on a daily basis. Some police officers on the charger forums have suggested that its probably the result of being in proximty to South Beach and that they are just helping get drunk drivers off the street. This might be one of the reason, but from my personal experience drunk drivers tend to drive eratic, swerve and usually drive more than 8 miles over the speed limit. The main majority of cars I've seen pulled over have been for very minor offenses (not all, a few deserve it) and rarley do they let you off with a warning, even if they dont find any open containers or DUI (from personal experiences, friends, family and neighbors). This is not a "young vs. the man" mentality, in fact everyone I have previously mentioned feels the same exact way I do and beleive me some are in their 60's. Some of these people are all very educacted individuals from doctors, professors to blue collar workers like tow truck drivers. I hate to say this but I have very little respect for the Police in this area and let me clarify this...I do not share this negative sentiment to the rest of the hard working police officers in dade caounty and elsewhere who I am aware are mostly underpaid and overworked. I know this might sound likea very harsh statement and might come off as being bitter because of my recent ticket but let me explain something that really rubs me the wrong way. During the daytime, especially on the weekends, there is a lot of foot traffic, with pedestrians crossing the street on Collins and Harding heading to the beach. During this time you rarley see a police officer enforcing traffic anywhere in sight and have seen some very close calls that have made my blood boil. Then soon as the sun comes down and everyone has gone home and theres not a soul in sight, u start seeing police cars everywhere parked in side streets or setting up radar guns on tripods (surfside) or parked at the bottom of the steep bridge (bal harbour) trying to catch speeders going 10 over (40mph) when theres not a pedestrian in sight. I have even seen cops speed at least 45-50mph speeding to set up postion at that bridge, its like a big game of cat and mouse.

I think Shadow hit the nail on the head when he said " I think they brought this upon themselves", if not then why dont i feel the same about the police in unincorporate dade or other parts of south florida? and beleive me ive had my fair share of tickets over there in my high school days, but at least i feel i deserved everysingle one of them for driving like a jackass.

I have a serious question for all of the law enforecment officers on this forum:

How are traffic citation revenue allocated? where does all this money go? to the individual departments or the state or both? and what would happen if no one sped and ticket revenue was $0 for a whole year, would this affect department funding and would dpet. be forced to reduce wages, hours and equipment? I want a truly honest answer with no dancing around the question please. Im not trying to play lawayer here, its just that ive never truly known the answer to this and i suspect it funds the dept directly and that this is a huge conflict of interest, but rather than make an assumption, I'd prefer to know facts from the source itself.
MiamiMuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2008, 05:19 AM   #39
Shadow

Name :

Go to the stiuicky at the top of the page in the legal section (where we are now). Click on the link to the statutes, go to the top left and click on the blue highlighted area.

From there scroll down to f.s.s. 318.14.

You should find everything you need there.

From experience, most DUI's actually drive BELOW the posted speed limit. That's one of the indicators I used to look for. Trying like hell to remain "inconspicuous"

If those on the Charger forums are as you mention, they chould have the "clout" (read that $$$) to effect change

Contributions to thier elected officials campaigns aside, strong, well worded and factual letter and e-mail writing campaings (make sure you use certified mail with snail mail and a "read reciept" with e-mail) can also work wonders.

Voice your concerns calmly and professionally. States facts and save the venting for the corner pub

Show up at city council meetings. Who do you think funds the PD and who do you think can start the ball rolling to make it go away? I've seen at least five (5) small police agencies in the last several years go away due to budget or internal problems. Might make it better, might make it worse. Never know, it's a coin toss.

Anyway, just don't think we're all alike please. Again, most of the guys and ladies I know in the field are truly dedicated individuals that just want to do thier job with a minimum of interference by the suits and go home in one piece at the end of the shift

Later,

Gordon
Unread 05-13-2008, 09:47 AM   #40
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Ok I admit that I might have gone a little bit overboard in making those 2 or 3 assumptions, but honestly its how I truly feel based on what I witness on a daily basis. Some police officers on the charger forums have suggested that its probably the result of being in proximty to South Beach and that they are just helping get drunk drivers off the street. This might be one of the reason, but from my personal experience drunk drivers tend to drive eratic, swerve and usually drive more than 8 miles over the speed limit. The main majority of cars I've seen pulled over have been for very minor offenses (not all, a few deserve it) and rarley do they let you off with a warning, even if they dont find any open containers or DUI (from personal experiences, friends, family and neighbors). This is not a "young vs. the man" mentality, in fact everyone I have previously mentioned feels the same exact way I do and beleive me some are in their 60's. Some of these people are all very educacted individuals from doctors, professors to blue collar workers like tow truck drivers. I hate to say this but I have very little respect for the Police in this area and let me clarify this...I do not share this negative sentiment to the rest of the hard working police officers in dade caounty and elsewhere who I am aware are mostly underpaid and overworked. I know this might sound likea very harsh statement and might come off as being bitter because of my recent ticket but let me explain something that really rubs me the wrong way. During the daytime, especially on the weekends, there is a lot of foot traffic, with pedestrians crossing the street on Collins and Harding heading to the beach. During this time you rarley see a police officer enforcing traffic anywhere in sight and have seen some very close calls that have made my blood boil. Then soon as the sun comes down and everyone has gone home and theres not a soul in sight, u start seeing police cars everywhere parked in side streets or setting up radar guns on tripods (surfside) or parked at the bottom of the steep bridge (bal harbour) trying to catch speeders going 10 over (40mph) when theres not a pedestrian in sight. I have even seen cops speed at least 45-50mph speeding to set up postion at that bridge, its like a big game of cat and mouse.

I think Shadow hit the nail on the head when he said " I think they brought this upon themselves", if not then why dont i feel the same about the police in unincorporate dade or other parts of south florida? and beleive me ive had my fair share of tickets over there in my high school days, but at least i feel i deserved everysingle one of them for driving like a jackass.

I have a serious question for all of the law enforecment officers on this forum:

How are traffic citation revenue allocated? where does all this money go? to the individual departments or the state or both? and what would happen if no one sped and ticket revenue was $0 for a whole year, would this affect department funding and would dpet. be forced to reduce wages, hours and equipment? I want a truly honest answer with no dancing around the question please. Im not trying to play lawayer here, its just that ive never truly known the answer to this and i suspect it funds the dept directly and that this is a huge conflict of interest, but rather than make an assumption, I'd prefer to know facts from the source itself.
Just curious, you appear to have a vast knowledge of law enforcment operations in your area. How is it that you know that "The main majority of cars I've seen pulled over have been for very minor offenses"? And "and rarley do they let you off with a warning, even if they dont find any open containers or DUI". Why should they be let off with a warning if they were stopped for a legitimate (traffic infraction) reason? I can understand you being able to recognize that "some are in their 60's", but how do you determine the extent of their education and their occupations? Do you interview these people on the street while the traffic stop is being conducted to gain all of this insight, or is this just mere presumption on your part? How do you know what the purpose of the traffic stop is on a random individual without your being present?

From my experience, people from all walks of life are guilty of traffic infractions from time to time. Yes, even cops speed! I'm not standing up for the rogue officers that you may or may not have encountered because I don't know them. But I do know that perception is very often flawed. And for you to have made these various statements leaves little doubt in my mind that much (if not all) of your observations have been perceived. Could this have been influenced by traffic citations you have received?

As for not having traffic enforcement during the day, I can't speak for that, other than the old addage "where's a cop when you need one". As for "Then soon as the sun comes down and everyone has gone home and theres not a soul in sight, u start seeing police cars everywhere", more crime occurs at night, thus the reason for more cops at night. Also, a major deterent to crime is the use of red and blue lights.

As for the revenue generated by traffic citations, it all goes into a pool, and at the end of the year we all have a big party and get our Christmas bonuses! Actually, very little revenue is allocated to the originating agency. I believe, out of a $118.50 citation, our agency receives $12.00.

In summary, there are bad cops out there. And you may or may not have had dealings with one. But, as Shadow said, the number is very few. My agency is small and we could spot one in a heartbeat. But even in the bigger agencies, they don't last long. Trust me when I say that I stay busy enough that I don't need to generate more work by making bogus traffic stops.

And as for having to prove that you violated a law in court, the fact that you received a citation is my proof. I have been to court many times before the traffic judge and I have not ever committed perjury. The judges know me and know that I am not there to tell a lie. So basically when you challenge me in court over a speeding ticket, the judge will check to see if my radar certification is valid. Finding that to be in order, the violation stands. In the last six years I have never lost a traffic case, and only one DUI.
85vette is offline   Reply With Quote