The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > General Corvette Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Corvette Discussions Just general "shootin' the breeze" types of discussions related to Corvettes.

Unread 10-01-2009, 06:00 PM   #31
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

The concrete guy and crew showed up today and got right down to business. That is until they hit the "stump from hell" that was right where the corner foundation footer pad needed to be. He was using a backhoe and the deeper he dug trying to get underneath that darn stump, the BIGGER that stump appeared to be. I was beginning to think it went all the way down to China. He dug around it as far as he could go with his equipment and the best he could do trying to pull or push on it to get it loose was to make it move maybe a quarter of an inch. So I had to call Welch Land Clearing and ask if he could get this stump out for me. I watched the video of the guy tackling that tree, and it appeared the tree snapped off just below surface level and the guy just didn't realize there was a humongous stump still down there.

So Alan did as much of the digging and frame up as he could and left around 2:30 or so. Mr. Welch showed up about 10 minutes later, and within 15 minutes had the stump out of the ground and backfilled in the hole to pack it down nice and firm. Seemed pretty dicey there for a while. Believe me, that stump was HUGE! But in the video, the tree wasn't really anything that would have led anyone to believe what was underneath the soil. The guy did struggle with it for quite a while while the land clearing was going on, but still it was quite a surprise.

But in any event, that stump is out of the way, so Alan can come back tomorrow to finish up the framing. Then I need to get the termite guys out here to spray before the other stuff can do down on the ground.
Unread 10-01-2009, 08:48 PM   #32
mickeystoysz16
I have stripes

Name :
mickeystoysz16 is on a distinguished road

How deep was it and how well did they compact the backfill? You may want to do a little extra compaction if you can, because it is at a corner and you could get some settlement.
mickeystoysz16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2009, 01:35 AM   #33
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoysz16 View Post
How deep was it and how well did they compact the backfill? You may want to do a little extra compaction if you can, because it is at a corner and you could get some settlement.
The guy pounded it down at several layers using the bucket from the backhoe. It was shaking the ground, so I think he packed it down pretty well. At least I hope so.... I really don't know what more I could do about it at this point anyway.
Unread 10-07-2009, 06:57 PM   #34
Rich Z

Here's a short video showing that stump I mentioned earlier....

The concrete has been poured and is now hardening off before the building arrives on 11/04. Not quite 30 days, but close enough. After the building is erected, then Allen Dunlap will come back and put in the apron for me in front of the building. After that, all I need to get done is the electrical work.

Getting there.......
Unread 10-10-2009, 05:22 PM   #35
Rich Z

OK, so maybe I'm just picky about such things, but I just measure the outside edges of my "4 inch" slab and I am only measuring 3.5 inches thick. Did I get short-changed a half inch of concrete?
Unread 10-10-2009, 06:12 PM   #36
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Have you measured a 2x4 lately? Probably the same principle.
Unread 10-10-2009, 07:56 PM   #37
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
Hmm, well I wish I had known that when I wrote out the check. If 4 inches is really 3.5 inches, then the $8,000 payment should really be $7,000.
Unread 10-11-2009, 12:25 AM   #38
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

I hear ya!
Unread 10-11-2009, 01:21 PM   #39
mickeystoysz16
I have stripes

Name :
mickeystoysz16 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
For 2x4's yes for concrete NO!!!!!!!! Even driveways are 4" thick your yours is going to have a building on it with a permanent dead load that you foundation needs to support and distubute. I would recommend having the building engineer review the calculations you may have a problem. If the plans called specifcally 4" of concrete, and your slab is only 3.5 your concrete contractor screwed you and pocketed the difference. This is common contractor practice to short owner on materials and still charge full price thinking no one noticed or knows any better. My guess is that you don't have the right amount of steel reinforcement either unless an inspector checked it before it was poured.
mickeystoysz16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2009, 02:37 PM   #40
Rich Z

Well this is a fine kettle of fish.... Just got a call today from a guy who does building erections to let me know that he got a call from G&L asking him to take over the erection of my building because they are closing their doors.

On top of that, Friday I got an email from SteelMax telling me that the louvers will be delayed being delivered for a week after the building is supposed to get here. Now I can't figure out why that would be since the garage was originally supposed to be delivered on 10/07, so one would think those louvers would have been available back then.

I dunno.... maybe I should just say to hell with the garage and convert that slab to a roller skating rink for Connie....