The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 09-13-2010, 11:53 AM   #421
Bob K
Deceased

Name : Bob Korreck
Bob K has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevXtreme 1 View Post
I've been tuning & modding GM cars for 6 years and the only time a warranty was canceled was when a C6 owner changed is own spark plugs at Cox chev here in Bradenton.

Otherwise I have yet to have a customer, or talk directly to one tha had GM go into the PCM to look for a tune flash. I'm sure they do with caasrophic drivetrain failure, but it takes far to much effort to check every car in for service.

Here is a good thread looking for anyone tha has experianced wha you are so adamant happens all the time:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104741
I don't know how else to say it Tracy. My tranny has been replaced. GM doesn't care as long as it's not abused and that's hard to prove on a tranny. If I turn it up to 7000 RPM and blow the engine now I got a problem. I'm just trying to help some brothers with info but I'll quit.

Also remember GM asked me to flash mine. A dealer cannot modify a program.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 12:03 PM   #422
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I've been tuning & modding GM cars for 6 years and the only time a warranty was canceled was when a C6 owner changed is own spark plugs at Cox chev here in Bradenton.
Damn.... I hope they don't try to pull something like that on me because I am changing my own oil and filter on the cars.

Anyway, back to the real topic of this thread....

I'm not going out to Chris's till tomorrow (Tuesday). He said everything is back together and he got the idle tune finished. Today is going to be to clean up the car. Tomorrow afternoon it will be put on the dyno and run up the revs a bit.

I'm guessing the bigger throttle body needs to be put on there sooner or later to see what happens with it in place. He's still concerned about the at rest gap being so wide on that thing.
Unread 09-13-2010, 12:12 PM   #423
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Otherwise I have yet to have a customer, or talk directly to one tha had GM go into the PCM to look for a tune flash. I'm sure they do with caasrophic drivetrain failure, but it takes far to much effort to check every car in for service.

Here is a good thread looking for anyone tha has experianced wha you are so adamant happens all the time:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104741
In that short 2 pager, there wasn't much in the way of substance; however; in the end, they did have a warranty denial.....

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 03:48 PM   #424
RevXtreme 1
www.revxtreme.com

Name : Tracy Lewis
RevXtreme 1 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
In that short 2 pager, there wasn't much in the way of substance; however; in the end, they did have a warranty denial.....
And I can find a few others with catastrophic drivetrain failures, but you know how many vettes I have modded through the years (even for a dealer owner who is very mod friendly when it comes to warranties) and even today, I have yet to run into any unreasonable denials except the plugs at Cox.
Unread 09-13-2010, 04:29 PM   #425
vetteguy61

Name : Mike Elmore
vetteguy61 has disabled reputation

Good thing you didn't go out to see Chris today Rich. I got there at 1:30 and the shop was closed up.
vetteguy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 04:32 PM   #426
Rich Z

Quote:
And I can find a few others with catastrophic drivetrain failures, but you know how many vettes I have modded through the years (even for a dealer owner who is very mod friendly when it comes to warranties) and even today, I have yet to run into any unreasonable denials except the plugs at Cox.
I guess I would be curious as to WHY the plug change caused a warranty denial. It's not like GM could reasonably claim that only an authorized GM dealership can do ANY work on a warranted car, can it? Perhaps the wrong type of plug was used which could have semi-reasonably been claimed to cause an engine failure.
Unread 09-13-2010, 04:39 PM   #427
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteguy61 View Post
Good thing you didn't go out to see Chris today Rich. I got there at 1:30 and the shop was closed up.
Hmmmm........

Well, according to Chris, my car was being flatbedded to the local body shop so they could buff out some scratches that have shown up on the finish from being out there at the shop too long. Nothing major, but I guess he would prefer a professional to fix them.
Unread 09-13-2010, 04:45 PM   #428
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I don't think I'm understaning what you are saying Tracy?

Are you saying that this whole warranty denial thing as a result of tuning, and mods, is bull?

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 06:16 PM   #429
RevXtreme 1
www.revxtreme.com

Name : Tracy Lewis
RevXtreme 1 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Hmmmm........

Well, according to Chris, my car was being flatbedded to the local body shop so they could buff out some scratches that have shown up on the finish from being out there at the shop too long. Nothing major, but I guess he would prefer a professional to fix them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
I guess I would be curious as to WHY the plug change caused a warranty denial. It's not like GM could reasonably claim that only an authorized GM dealership can do ANY work on a warranted car, can it? Perhaps the wrong type of plug was used which could have semi-reasonably been claimed to cause an engine failure.

He thought it was because he was constantly bringing it in for problems....and I was not there, but he can jump in if he likes. He is on here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
I don't think I'm understaning what you are saying Tracy?

Are you saying that this whole warranty denial thing as a result of tuning, and mods, is bull?
Absolutly not. If there is a catastrophic failure of the drivetrain, and the dealer strongly suspects modifcations done, then GM will request a flash count. But if you are in for service, or are in for an unrelated warranty issue they do NOT scan for it as the time & effort it takes. The hype that is spread on "Never tune, they will cancel your warranty" is just that, hype. The dealer does NOT scan every car under warranty that comes in for the purpose of denying warranties. But if the car openly appears to be modded and there is a trans, motor, rear diff failure then yes, expect them to check.

And for those that want to buy a second ECM to "trick, or fool" the dealer to collect on a warranty that you shouldn't, I am against that. In my book that is fraud, or cheating. Mod your car because you want the power and be prepared to take care of any failures due to it on your own. Just like when we put the vette into the wall at the drag strip. Had several tell me "claim you git a guard rail on the road or something". No, you go on the track by your own choice, you wreck you pay.

I just wanted to clarify that there is so much did-information out there. A tune or a CAI or Headers/exhaust is NOT cause to be in fear of a warranty being canceled or voided, but a heads/cam/twin turbo is. They DON'T check every car just to see.

:cheers:
Unread 09-14-2010, 01:28 AM   #430
CorvetteJohn
Deceased

Name : John Robinson
CorvetteJohn is on a distinguished road
Default Class Act

Getting back to the original post I see that the shop has taken your car to a body shop to detail it. This tells me that the shop owner recognizes the frustration both of you have shared in getting this build done. I hope this takes some of the problems along the way and makes them go away in your mind. Don't be afraid to drive it for fear of what might fail. I bet you don't think about that with the new car which basically has a hand built engine in it also.

A note on fear or worry

Worry or fear is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but you don't go anywhere
CorvetteJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
427, aaron scott, chris harwood, rhs block, south georgia corvette, xtrememotorsports