The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > Legal Issues

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Legal Issues Traffic tickets | Laws | Pending Legislation

Unread 05-13-2008, 12:28 PM   #41
Qman

Name :
Qman is on a distinguished road
Default careless driving

Well all I know is these cars can get you in serious trouble. At 47 years old I still find myself on the gas hard once in a while. Then when I get home I cant believe how fast I was driving and it freaks me out for a couple of days. I need to become more mature and respect the laws of the land, if not ill end up in jail if I dont kill myself or someone else. thanks for listening.
Qman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2008, 04:37 PM   #42
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
Just curious, you appear to have a vast knowledge of law enforcment operations in your area. .................................................. And as for having to prove that you violated a law in court, the fact that you received a citation is my proof. I have been to court many times before the traffic judge and I have not ever committed perjury. The judges know me and know that I am not there to tell a lie. So basically when you challenge me in court over a speeding ticket, the judge will check to see if my radar certification is valid. Finding that to be in order, the violation stands.

Very well said 85vette. Although I agreed with your entire post I edited the quote to eliminate taking up extra space. That is a different way to put it and I feel it was very acurate. Thank you.
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2008, 09:54 PM   #43
MiamiMuscle

Name :
MiamiMuscle has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
Just curious, you appear to have a vast knowledge of law enforcment operations in your area. How is it that you know that "The main majority of cars I've seen pulled over have been for very minor offenses"? And "and rarley do they let you off with a warning, even if they dont find any open containers or DUI". Why should they be let off with a warning if they were stopped for a legitimate (traffic infraction) reason? I can understand you being able to recognize that "some are in their 60's", but how do you determine the extent of their education and their occupations? Do you interview these people on the street while the traffic stop is being conducted to gain all of this insight, or is this just mere presumption on your part? How do you know what the purpose of the traffic stop is on a random individual without your being present?

Because the people i mentioned are family and neighbors in my neighborhood. My dad and uncle are doctors, my neighbors a tow truck driver......plus they tell me storiesof thier friends and the feeling i have is all mutual with every single one of them.
MiamiMuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2008, 11:02 PM   #44
MiamiMuscle

Name :

Originally Posted by 85vette
Just curious, you appear to have a vast knowledge of law enforcment operations in your area. .................................................. And as for having to prove that you violated a law in court, the fact that you received a citation is my proof. I have been to court many times before the traffic judge and I have not ever committed perjury. The judges know me and know that I am not there to tell a lie. So basically when you challenge me in court over a speeding ticket, the judge will check to see if my radar certification is valid. Finding that to be in order, the violation stands.

MiamiMuscle: the judge doesn't know you, he's just familiar with you from seeing you in court for so many years. So your saying everyone who has been arrested deserved it. So no one is falsley accused of crimes and everyone in jail is guilty of something? The ticket I recieved was not for speeding, it was a judgement call where the officer in this case was dead wrong. Writing on a ticket that i was racing just because i had a tuner connected to my car and I accelerated hard from 0-30 does not mean i was racing. I have stock tires and are only 225mm wide and very bald (have a pair of new nittos on the way) and i have my traction control turned off using my diablo predator, If i was racing or even floored the pedal my tires easily go up in smoke or even chirp. None of that happened and in honesty it was more sound from my catback exhaust than anything and ive seen minis accelerate faster than my car in the presence of police cars and nothing. The only thing that might of given him the impression i was racing was another car took off pretty fast off the line also but they were in the right lane and made a turn at the next light (his lane was even a dedicated turn lane with a right turn arrow painted on the street). To even suggest or think i was racing a car in a turn lane is ludicrous. Then i had to sit thru a lecture about how everynight theres a fatal motorcycle crash due to racing, because of my damn tuner. But whats the point of fighting this ticket, if according to you, the judge is always going to take your word over mine. All he's going to do is read "tuner" and "racing" and theres nothing i can say to sway his decision. I guess the same perception i have of police officers in my area, seems to be the same perception you guys have of tuners and muscle cars with performance exhausts.
Unread 05-13-2008, 11:38 PM   #45
Guro305
Heathen

Name :
Guro305 is on a distinguished road

Yes man, I'm telling you! I'm trying to save your a$s!!!!

Go online to http://www.ticketclinic.com, fill out the form and pay. Six months later (since we are talking about Dade) either the ticket is gone and/or worse case scenario it's adjudicated. Ticket gone, no more money to spend. Adjudication, you gotta pay court costs and a small fine. Yeah, it's more then the ticket, however, no driving school, no points, no insurance premium increases and best of all you don't miss anytime from work for this bulls#!t!!!!!

And nowadays, you don't have to waste gas getting to the courthouse just to get a court date. Take it from me, four tickets up and four tickets down through Ticket Clinic. And again, in Miami-Dade they are only $60.

-C5 Chevy Corvette - Torch Red
-Gen 3 Pontiac Trans Am - Pearl Black
-B14 Nissan Sentra GXE - Pearl Black
Guro305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2008, 12:45 AM   #46
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Just out of curiosity, I took my C5Z out today and accelerated from 0 to 30 mph while in first gear. RPMs went to over 4,000 and I would bet BIG money that anyone who HEARD me but did not SEE me would have concluded that I was FLYING down the road. But I never exceeded 30mph and I never broke the tires. But the engine was SCREAMING like a banshee.

Just out of curiosity, WHEN did you actually see the cop? I suspect he didn't even see you at first but only HEARD you and then noticed you, probably after you let off the accelerator. So his assessment of the situation was likely triggered by the sound of your car and his seeing the tuner simply reinforced his assumption of what you were doing without actually OBSERVING any wrong doing on your part.

Just a guess on my part, mind you, but I believe a VERY plausible one.

Heck, I got pulled over once because the cop HEARD me but didn't see me and just ASSUMED that my car was the one he heard. I had passed someone going 52 or so in a 55 zone and did so in a very *ahem* expeditious manner. Obviously I was the only vehicle around that COULD have made all that racket, so it was an easy call for him, and I didn't deny it. That one turned out better than your situation did, but it does make me wonder if it would have turned out differently had I had my laptop running data logging that day. I never realized that it might be such a liability on the street.
Unread 05-14-2008, 03:25 AM   #47
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Dude, he (85) never said everyone was guilty. He said he never lost a (civil) traffic case and only one (1) DUI. Sounds to me like he's making good quality cases to me

I don't recall where he said he worked but I do recall it being "relatively" small as compared to say Miami or Tampa. That said, yes, the judge probably DOES know him Hell, even here in Tampa, while working as a motor cop, all the judges that I spent time in front of knew me!! I'd see them out of the courtroom and they'd call me by name, come over and say , or whatever. When you spend that much time in court, they get to know you, the "quality" (or lack thereof ) of both your cases and your charachter.

We had one guy who couldn't win a case on a betJudges knew he was hot tempered and full of st

BTW, here's an idea since we're on the subject of "evidence." Save the data and take the lap top tuner to court with you!
There's your "evidence."

This is traffic court not a homicide case and you'd be surprised what the judges and magistrates will allow introduced

Besides, all this Ass-U-Ming is getting old. None of us were there.

Either you did it or you didn't?

Either go to court, pay the ticket, go to school or do the ticket clinic...but do something...

As a fellow (retired) LEO (it'sw like a disease, it's hard to get out of your blood), please don't assume the worst of all LEO's. We have a lot of long time members on this board that are well respected and good, hard working officers. I don't care to insult themSouonds like your department might need a little "sprucing up." I told you how to effect that change. Believe me, $$ talks especially in a small town. Sounds like your family and friends have the HP (no pun intended) to get the job done, but again, let's not paint everyone with the same brush.

Thanks,
Gordon
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2008, 04:20 AM   #48
MiamiMuscle

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
As a fellow (retired) LEO (it'sw like a disease, it's hard to get out of your blood), please don't assume the worst of all LEO's. We have a lot of long time members on this board that are well respected and good, hard working officers. I don't care to insult themSouonds like your department might need a little "sprucing up." I told you how to effect that change. Believe me, $$ talks especially in a small town. Sounds like your family and friends have the HP (no pun intended) to get the job done, but again, let's not paint everyone with the same brush.
Thank you once again for putting things into perspective. I appreciate the advice and fair role you have played in this discussion by not taking sides and allowing me to see things from the officers perspective. My intentions were never to portray all cops in a negative light and i understand that many of you are just trying to earn a decent living just like the rest of us. Sharing a hobby such as performance cars, with some people who may consider you the enemy is hard enough and i never intended to further sway some peoples already negative perception against you. I apologize if i came across this way and will make an effort to direct my dissatisfication towards the lawmakers and not the police officers who are only following orders and trying to do their job. Im just very unhappy with the current system and Shadow has opened my eyes as to the proper approach to take in order to at least get some public awareness among those that are dissatisfied with the system also. I dont know about you, but by airing out our differences, i truly feel that this discussion has helped us understand each other a little bit better. I respect all the hard work the "good" officers do on the street to keep us safe, i know its no easy task, especially in this crazy world we seem to be living in nowadays. I hope no hard feelings or grudges will result from this post and theres enough trouble in the world today for us to be fighting also. Remember Lets enjoy our cars while we can, because the way things are going, it wont be long before v8's go the same route as the dinosaurs. Is it me or does it seem like its 1972 all over again....

On a final note i want to remind everyone to keep it safe out there and make it easier on the police officers by not speeding excessivley or do anything stupid that might jeopordize the life of an innocent pedestrian or driver. With the economy tanking, we need every officer available preventing crime and robberies, by us causing havoc on the public roads, we are only diverting their attention from more serious problems.
Unread 05-14-2008, 04:50 AM   #49
MiamiMuscle

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Just out of curiosity, I took my C5Z out today and accelerated from 0 to 30 mph while in first gear. RPMs went to over 4,000 and I would bet BIG money that anyone who HEARD me but did not SEE me would have concluded that I was FLYING down the road. But I never exceeded 30mph and I never broke the tires. But the engine was SCREAMING like a banshee.

Just out of curiosity, WHEN did you actually see the cop? I suspect he didn't even see you at first but only HEARD you and then noticed you, probably after you let off the accelerator. So his assessment of the situation was likely triggered by the sound of your car and his seeing the tuner simply reinforced his assumption of what you were doing without actually OBSERVING any wrong doing on your part.

Just a guess on my part, mind you, but I believe a VERY plausible one.

My windows arent tinted because i like to have the most visibility possible, even if that means roasting my arms in the scorching Florida sun. So I can tell u without a doubt in my mind that the officer was at keast 4 cars behind me if not more. As to wether he heard me or saw me first, i cant answer that question, but im pretty sure my exhaust had a part in swaying his decision to pull me over. I remember the day i got my catback and stage 2 afe cai, i felt that my car was a lil slower for some reason. But this was not the case because my 0-60 seemed to improve by a whole half second. Then i realized one day that the feeling was probably because it sounded faster than what i was really going. The not so funny part is that i decided not to go the header and high flow cat route, to keep the sound down to a minimum and not attract any unwanted attention. I even have a catback with 2 mufflers and 2 resonators, but it still gives off a mean growl when i get on it. Ill probably eventually swap in some headers one day, especially if im going to start going to the track on a regular basis. This ticket isnt going to sway me to quiet my system down any more, since the exhaust note on a nicley tuned V8 is one of the reasons why i dont mind paying $4 a gallon. Not so far into the near future, when everyone is driving little hybrids and electric cars, we are going to look back and think, damn i miss the purr our gas guzzlers made.

Thanks for getting my back Rich, u wrote the words i was thinking and put them down better than i could of ever done. I wanna apologize if i helped cause any friciton between you and some of your members, i really hope we can all shake hands and come away from this discussion with a better understanding of each other. Im not going to let one bad judgement call taint my view and to the officers who feel Rich and I may have offened, i hope you guys can do the same.
Unread 05-14-2008, 06:54 AM   #50
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I hope no hard feelings or grudges will result from this post and theres enough trouble in the world today for us to be fighting also.
None here

Quote:
On a final note i want to remind everyone to keep it safe out there and make it easier on the police officers by not speeding excessivley or do anything stupid that might jeopordize the life of an innocent pedestrian or driver. With the economy tanking, we need every officer available preventing crime and robberies, by us causing havoc on the public roads, we are only diverting their attention from more serious problems
Could not have stated it better...thanks man

Quote:
I wanna apologize if i helped cause any friciton between you and some of your members, i really hope we can all shake hands and come away from this discussion with a better understanding of each other.
Ths nice thing about this place is we're all friends and many of us see each other regularly. Even the ones that don't will occasionally meet up at an event or outing somewhere.

We strive to be different by being open minded and willing to debate (not argue or name call)

The folks I have met through this site are some of if not THE best people I've met on the vette-net websites bar none!

Being able to agree to disagree and move on to the next topic is one of the traits those folks bear.

I think you'll find that most here are pretty resonable folks. No hard feelings her.

Stay safe...

Gordon
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote