The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > General BS forum

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General BS forum I guess this will be for anything that would seem to be off topic in any other forum here. Just general shootin' the breeze kind of topics.

Unread 07-26-2007, 12:04 AM   #1
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough
Default Last man out...

Although it doesn't "offically" take place until 01 August 07, our agency (I should say the city council) has handed over the keys to the police department to the Sheriff and has closed up shop.

I was there today assisting the Chief in closing out the books and turning in my gear.

It's bittersweet.

For the full time guys (all 3 of them ) they'll pick up another 8k (+/-) a year, better bene's, a retirement plan that doesn't suck , access to better equipment, backup (we work one person on per shift ) and training and a chance to learn/do other things besides patrol
Other than the Chief (who I helped train 30 years ago in Hillsborough) none of the F/T officers have ever worked for a major law enforcement agency!

Now these guys will have an opportunity they'd never have gotten here. To move around, work different divisions and assignments and handle calls they'd probably only read about in this city (although things were starting to get more intense in the end, it still had a loooong way to go to be anywhere near what I came from.)

The Chief, the Part Time/Reserve officers were the only ones in the place with any experience. It was glaringly obvious from the quality of cases and reports (or lack thereof) Used to drive me nuts!!!

Our POS city counsel however, sold out the reserve/part timers (who basically keep that department alive) by requiring the Sheriff to write us out of the aquisition.

So essentially, all the experience just walked out the door

Due to a politcal powerplay by one of the counsel members (he apparently didn't want one specific part timer to have the opportunity to transfer over to the Sheriff's Office-and no, it's not me ), we were written out of the contract takeover agreement.
The full timers will be absorbed into the S.O. through the back door. They'll still have to go through an abbreviated in service and orientation program and I have my doubts about a couple of them, but they skip the entire convoluted, PITA hiring process. I do wish them well.

The reserves that want to go over have to go through the entire hiring process.

It's a shame when politics get in the way of good police work

For the last 16 years, I've made the 120 mile round trip to the PD several times a month to assist the agency. Filled in shifts for those who were out on vacation, injured, sick, etc, and when the hurricanes hit a few years ago, it was our reserves that mustered up and worked day in day out for a month to make sure the people of the city and surrounding areas had food/water, etc, and were safe. We patrolled out into the county where people were stopping me in the night and saying they hadn't seen a LEO in days (after the storm).

It was a great feeling being able to help Thats why I entered law enforcement 30 years ago and thats why I stayed after my retirement.

We put in literally hundreds of non-paid hours working details, doing backgrounds, training, whatever the city needed to keep it running and keep it safe.

But alas, $$$$ reared it's ugly head and it was no longer feasble to continue to operate our own police dept.

I met the Sheriff's Sgt. that's going to be running the sub-station (former PD).
Very nice guy and I know he'll do a good job for the citizens

So I turned in my gear today, and officially became a Ronin...a masterless warrior

Even if the Sheriff had waived the hiring procedure and taken us with the others, I wouldn't have been able to go. The Sheriff has a residency requirement and since I'm not moving to Polk County. So even if our POS city council hadn't stabbed us in the back, I wouldn't have qualified. And I certainly agree with the Sheriff. If he opens the door for one it opens the door for everyone, and you can't do that

So today, we filed the last chapter in the police log, retired the PD number with FDLE and turned off the teletype. Destroyed evidence that needed to be destroyed, turned over the keys to the building to the Sheriff's Sgt. and walked out...for the last time.

As Jimmy Buffett said:

"If it suddenly ended tomorrow,
I would somehow adjust to the fall...
Good times and riches and son of a bitches,
I've seen more than I can recall..."

I'm not sure yet if I'm going back elsewhere or just hang it up. I've already had some offers but I'm just not sure? It gets in your blood, but maybe it's time for a transfusion?

It's been a total of 30 years and it's been a hell of a ride ladies and gentlemen.
And although there have been more than a couple of close calls, no ones ever had to knock on the wifes door and ask her to come with them...thats a good thing

So for now, it's over...

I wish everyone that remains well and a safe journey.

Hey, Sarge...stay safe over there and take care of the place would you?

And to my forum family, thanks for letting me vent a bit.

Nine Eagle Lake...10-07...

Gordon

Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2007, 07:46 AM   #2
navy2kcoupe
!ereH nI depparT m'I pleH

Location: 25 miles south of Boston, MA. Also have a house in Dunedin FL.
Name : Andy Anderson
navy2kcoupe has disabled reputation

Gordon , what they did to you was a bunch of
I salute ALL of you guys who were treated this way and ALL for serving! Good luck with whatever the future holds for you, and as long as there's a Vette in there it won't be all bad!

Andy
VIETNAM VETERANS CORVETTE CLUB - FOUNDING MEMBER #1
https://sites.google.com/site/vietna...scorvetteclub/
navy2kcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2007, 08:23 AM   #3
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

10-26 Brother. 10-87.
85vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2007, 08:32 AM   #4
sandman

Name :
sandman is on a distinguished road
Wink

I agree. I spent 18 years in the military and it is hard to let go sometimes. I have been in the sandbox more then i have seen grass(the kind You walk on ) You will know deep in your heart whether to pick something else up. take a deep breathe and grab your keys and do a few burn outs and take a cruise and just relax. Look at what this beautiful state has to see.
Thank You for your service . You will know what to do. It will just come to you. So keep your head high (looking up that is. LOL ) Heck look into private investigation if that is your cup of tea. It is actually fascinating to me. Anyways thanks we'll be thinking of ya.
sandman
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2007, 10:13 AM   #5
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
I agree. I spent 18 years in the military and it is hard to let go sometimes. I have been in the sandbox more then i have seen grass(the kind You walk on ) You will know deep in your heart whether to pick something else up. take a deep breathe and grab your keys and do a few burn outs and take a cruise and just relax. Look at what this beautiful state has to see.
Thank You for your service . You will know what to do. It will just come to you. So keep your head high (looking up that is. LOL ) Heck look into private investigation if that is your cup of tea. It is actually fascinating to me. Anyways thanks we'll be thinking of ya.
sandman
I own a business here now. Used to do PI work but put the business in an inactive status to stay certified and active (even part time) in law enforcement.

I may reactivate it, I'm just not sure at the moment?

I'm really not bitter about the change. It's for the betterment of the full timers that work there

And I hold NO animosity toward the Sheriff. He just responded to the City councils request for a proposal. I do kind of wish he's had the sack to tell this POS that it's his way or the highway Oh well, thats the way it goes.

The only part that really torques my jaw, is how this one, no load, diplodink, POS city councilman specifically demanded that the Sheriff keep us out of the negotiations

But everything happens for a reason

Personally, I'll save a ton of $$ an time not driving 120 miles round trip and putting off work to be there

Now, speaking of torque, I'm thinking it's about time this weekend to grab the keys and clear the head (safely of course).

Not even going to explore my options for a few weeks.

Thanks guys

85, 10-04 my friend, 10-04!

And Sandman, thanks for your service in the sand brother....
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2007, 10:24 AM   #6
sandman

Name :
sandman is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow
I own a business here now. Used to do PI work but put the business in an inactive status to stay certified and active (even part time) in law enforcement.

I may reactivate it, I'm just not sure at the moment?

I'm really not bitter about the change. It's for the betterment of the full timers that work there

And I hold NO animosity toward the Sheriff. He just responded to the City councils request for a proposal. I do kind of wish he's had the sack to tell this POS that it's his way or the highway Oh well, thats the way it goes.

The only part that really torques my jaw, is how this one, no load, diplodink, POS city councilman specifically demanded that the Sheriff keep us out of the negotiations

But everything happens for a reason

Personally, I'll save a ton of $$ an time not driving 120 miles round trip and putting off work to be there

Now, speaking of torque, I'm thinking it's about time this weekend to grab the keys and clear the head (safely of course).

Not even going to explore my options for a few weeks.

Thanks guys

85, 10-04 my friend, 10-04!

And Sandman, thanks for your service in the sand brother....
It was my pleasure. Well Didn't have a choice but if I did I would have gone anyway. I went there more times then Osama it seems like it. Every 15 months back to the sand box we'd go. But what the heck. I learned a lot.
get your keys and grab the wife or not and just hithe road brother. Clear your mind and have fun. Name:  partytime2.gif
Views: 116
Size:  1.8 KB
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2007, 11:08 AM   #7
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Aw hell, Gordon. Things tend to happen for a reason. It feels like you got crapped on now, but probably a year from now you'll be saying it's the best thing that could have happened to you. You'll land on your feet and make the best of it, I'm sure. Every change, even the ones that really suck, can be an opportunity to make things better.

Good luck, bro....
Unread 07-26-2007, 01:22 PM   #8
Mark Dalton

Name : Mark Dalton
Mark Dalton has disabled reputation

I kind of know where you're coming from Shadow. Although I've never been in law enforcement, after 24 years in the Air Force, it was very hard taking off my uniform for the last time. I gradually came to understand that it was just time to go, but with no regrets. I'm sorry the city council treated you guys so poorly. Maybe if they had been able to walk in your shoes.... Things do happen for a reason though, even if you don't know what the reason is right away. In the meantime, keep your head up, and I hope the future has good things in store for you.
Mark Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2007, 05:15 PM   #9
Kap142

Name :
Kap142 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
It was my pleasure. Well Didn't have a choice but if I did I would have gone anyway. I went there more times then Osama it seems like it. Every 15 months back to the sand box we'd go. But what the heck. I learned a lot.
get your keys and grab the wife or not and just hithe road brother. Clear your mind and have fun. Attachment 1448
Gordy, we spent our entire careers adjusting to and adapting to anything that was thrown our way. It's what we did and what we will continue to do.

No one said the world is fair, it's not, and always remember what a friend of mine (Dr. Bobby Smith former LA State trooper who was shot in the face with a 12ga in the line of duty) said "Orginazations have no soul, their just big business".

But brother I'm with you all the way. Let it go and press on, like we have an option.

Ken
Unread 07-26-2007, 05:25 PM   #10
larrybroga
Vett'n since 1961

Name : Larry Broga
larrybroga is on a distinguished road

After I retired it didn't take long to realize that we never go 10-7 just 10-10.

Growing old is inevitable !
Growing up is optional !!!!
larrybroga is offline   Reply With Quote