The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > General Corvette Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Corvette Discussions Just general "shootin' the breeze" types of discussions related to Corvettes.

Unread 04-24-2008, 08:16 PM   #11
alyssa4039

Name :
alyssa4039 has disabled reputation

Thank you guys, You all have been a great help

God bless!
alyssa4039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2008, 08:19 PM   #12
alyssa4039

Name :

By-the-way, doesn't the 96 and 95 have the same motor?
Unread 04-24-2008, 10:59 PM   #13
gmjunkie
Corvette,GM Classic Freak

Name : I'm Not Post'n in BOI
gmjunkie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssa4039 View Post
By-the-way, doesn't the 96 and 95 have the same motor?
Purdy much,92-96 LT1's are purdy much the same other than some of the electronics!
Unread 04-24-2008, 11:13 PM   #14
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

So, what would happen if you used Dexcool in an earlier vehicle's cooling system? It thought a major reason for the switchover was because the older style coolant was certain death to any animals who ingested it?
Unread 04-25-2008, 12:10 AM   #15
gmjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
So, what would happen if you used Dexcool in an earlier vehicle's cooling system? It thought a major reason for the switchover was because the older style coolant was certain death to any animals who ingested it?
Actually Rich,there is allot of controversy over this!!The change was because it was supposed to be more environmentally Friendly and Last 5 years or 150,000 miles!!It won't do it!! From my experience if you leave it in your engine for 5 years you will probly replacing Aluminum Parts!!I've replaced Lots of Intakes,Radiators and Thermostat housings with the Dex-Cool!! Any vehicle I get for resale that has it in it,Gets Flushed and Reg. Ethylene Glycol first thing on the list!
As soon as my 03 went off warranty,The Dex-Cool came OUT!!

PS There have been several Law suite's over Dex-Cool!

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...m_dexcool.html

http://www.injuryboard.com/topic/dexcool.aspx

http://www.injuryboard.com/topic/dexcool.aspx

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/05/23/g...action-status/

Last edited by gmjunkie; 04-25-2008 at 07:50 AM.
gmjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2008, 03:10 AM   #16
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Well, that's just GREAT...... I recently had a DeWitts radiator installed in my C5Z. Maybe I should have converted over at that time......

Interesting quote in one of those links:

Quote:
Dexcool is a formulated antifreeze/coolant used in over thirty-four million vehicles sold by General Motors. Used by GM since 1996 in most car and light truck models, Dexcool is manufactured and distributed by ChevronTexaco, Equilon and ChevronTexaco Global Lubricants.

Although Dexcool is marketed to last 5 years or 150,000 miles, consumers say the product is defective and damages vehicles. Dexcool has been linked to corroded and clogged radiators and radiator caps, eroded water pumps, rotten radiator hoses, leaky cooling system gaskets, chronic overheating and engine damage.

A nationwide class settlement in this matter has already been reached by GM and the affected parties. If your car uses AC Delco's Dexcool as an engine coolant, it is suggested that you have your mechanic flush your cooling system. Dexcool degenerates into a nasty sludge after a sustained period of use, especially when mixed with other non-Dexcool coolants or exposed to oxygen. Dexcool will corrode the entire cooling system, causing overheating and other serious damage to your automobile.

InjuryBoard is no longer reviewing Dexcool leads as of January 2008. If you are currently using Dexcool, we urge you to see your mechanic to have a complete system flush. Dexcool breaks down into a gooey mess in engines after sustained use, and should be replaced with a more durable, longer lasting coolant.
BTW, does anyone know the amount of fluid a cooling system with a DeWitts radiator in a C5Z will hold?
Unread 04-25-2008, 07:01 AM   #17
alyssa4039

Name :

Does those circumstances apply to the prestone dexcool too ,or just the AC Dexcool? What other options do we have?
Unread 04-25-2008, 07:07 AM   #18
alyssa4039

Name :
Red face

Sorry, I didn't mean to open up a can of worms with this topic.
Unread 04-25-2008, 07:32 AM   #19
alyssa4039

Name :

Hey GMjunkie, doesn't the red stuff contain ethylene glycol also. I checked out the ingredients on both of the items and the big difference appears to be that the green stuff has silicatates and some type of defoamer.

So, can one conclude that the green stuff is better than the red, or is the red just as good as long as you replace it every two years.

What do you guys think?

P.S.

I read some the articles you recommended. One said that if you have dex cool already in your system you should not flush it and replace it with traditional coolant.

You said you have done this. Any problems with the practice?
Unread 04-25-2008, 08:33 AM   #20
gmjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssa4039 View Post
Hey GMjunkie, doesn't the red stuff contain ethylene glycol also. I checked out the ingredients on both of the items and the big difference appears to be that the green stuff has silicatates and some type of defoamer.

So, can one conclude that the green stuff is better than the red, or is the red just as good as long as you replace it every two years.
Yes,they both have Ethylene Glycol in them,but what percentages and other chemical differences I haven't a clue, I'm no Chemist, I'm a Technician!!And in my Honest opinion the green is better thats why there isn't a vehicle around here that has Dex-Cool in it!! I've seen First Hand the Clogged Up Reeds in Radiators,Heater Cores,Ate Up Thermostat Housings,Water Pumps and other cooling system parts,the Red Sludge in the cooling systems that looks like someone has been using Georgia Pond Water for Coolant!!