The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 04-24-2007, 03:06 PM   #1
Kap142

Name :
Kap142 is on a distinguished road
Default Too much sound

Hey guys, ya know the BB I drive? The 72 454? Well by the time I got back from Bradenton Sunday I think I was deaf. Any suggestions as to maybe going away from the mufflers I run (whatever the heck they are) to something a bit more reasonable sounding. Love um to roar when I get into the accelerator but my single remaining brain cell can't hear it self think and let me tell you at sustained 80 MPH I can't even hear Buffett on the CD player. Now that's just wrong.

Just for background exhausts have been wrapped and lots'a extra insulation/sound deadening was added when I did the new interior.

Ken

Last edited by Kap142; 04-24-2007 at 05:34 PM.
Kap142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2007, 04:10 PM   #2
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

You might just need to drive faster. Breaking the sound barrier would probably help........
Unread 04-24-2007, 05:03 PM   #3
"Backyard Mechanic"

Name :
"Backyard Mechanic" has disabled reputation

You know what they say.
"If it's too loud,Your too old"
My Nova was also very load,But I did not mind it at the time,When your 20 years old it can't be too Loud.But you may want to try some Flowmasters,I only said that brand because I have used them before on other Loud cars,They have many types to choice from,Mild to wild.They are great mufflers and there prices are low,and most muffler shops carry them,you will not lose any hp or tq using them.You will never get the sound of your exhaust to quiet because of how the car is built.Good luck in your search.
And if that don't work you can always take out your hearing aids.
"Backyard Mechanic" is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2007, 10:41 AM   #4
Kap142

Name :

Thanks Rick, I like that option, not sure FHP would but.......and come to think of it they'd be able to find me at every gas station along the way.

Rob, that'll cost ya, sometime, some place and quit breaking trophys and you know it was my vote that got you the trophy in the first place.

Ken
Unread 04-25-2007, 12:13 PM   #5
72ragtop

Name :
72ragtop is on a distinguished road

ken, no way to get around the sound, Well maybe ear plugs. i dont even attempt cell phone usage while driving, cant hear anything.
the nature of the beast. I've had 4 Big Blocks and 1 Small block over the yrs. From stock exhaust to headers and straight pipes. its just the way the C-3's are.
72ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2007, 03:11 PM   #6
Kap142

Name :

Okie dokie. I'll just have to sing louder and turn Buffett up more. Thanks for the input

Ken
Unread 04-25-2007, 04:11 PM   #7
Rich427
'69 Vert/'01 Vert/'04 Z16

Name :
Rich427 is on a distinguished road

Ken,

I don't necessarily agree with the other comments that you have received, but I just had a break here at the office and don't have the time to go into details at the moment. When I get home this evening I'll give you some additional options.

Rich427
Rich427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2007, 06:54 PM   #8
Rich427
'69 Vert/'01 Vert/'04 Z16

Name :
Rich427 is on a distinguished road

Ken,

When I bought my '69 BB convertible 18 years ago it had a pair of old glass pack mufflers. The sound was not bad, but the fit was terrible. So I started looking around for some thing that would sound good and fit well. I wound up buying a welded exhaust system from Allen's Stainless Exhaust. The fit was great, looked just like the stock off road exhaust and the price was right, under $400. I ran this exhaust system for over 10 years and finally decided that it was just too quiet for me. This system would not create a problem driving highway speeds for any length of time.

I then bought a set of Magnaflow mufflers from Corvette Central, under $200 for the pair. Instead of these being welded to the rear exhaust pipes they are clamped, which is not original. But since the Magnaflow's were not original either, I did not worry about it. These mufflers came with the appropriate mounting bracket welded to the rear of the mufflers to be bolted to the stock hangers. This has a nice mellow sound that is closer to the sound of side pipes, but not that loud. I can cruise down the road and hear the big block purring but the sound is not annoying at all. Both of these setups worked well and served a purpose at the time. My Magnaflows have been on for about 7 years with no problems at all.

Here are the two sites if you are interested.

http://www.allencorvetteexhaustsystems.com/

http://www.corvettecentral.com/

I hope this helps!

Rich
Rich427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2007, 07:43 PM   #9
Nytro
Delta House Member

Name :
Nytro is on a distinguished road

Too loud ???? Sounds to me like you need to convert to sidepipes. Too loud, yellow wheels, right side mirror, has Ken been kidnapped by aliens from Honda ? Just messing with ya Ken.

www.adamspolishes.com

Authority forgets a dying king
Nytro is offline   Reply With Quote