• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

HELP! GAS ODOR IN GARAGE AFTER FILL UP! WHY?

Electra

Every time we gas up our '02 vert and then park it in our garage, there is a lingeriing gas smell that fills the garage. What could be the cause? A dealership mechanic told us it could possibly be the crossover tube that goes between the two gas tanks. Has anyone experienced this? If so, is there a "fix"?

Any signs of leaking underneath the car? Might be worthwhile putting it up on a lift and giving it a close exam with a flashlight. I wouldn't have any open flames nearby for the duration, just in case.

My car did this at times and I believe the reason is because I'd "FILL'ER UP". Typically, I had been filling it up till NO more would go in (You know...fill.. click, fill.. click etc), which basically meant theirs gas in the Neck of the gasline. Then, When I parked the car, there was an odor of gas.:confused:

Eventually, After driving it for awhile, then Parking at home, the smell would go away, till I "Filled Up" again.:shrug01:

NOTE: I stopped filling the car so FULL at the pump and haven't smelled gas since.:thumbsup:

Or maybe your gas cap isn't sealing correctly (rubber ring worn) allowing vapors to escape.?

This is actually a point worth considering. Gasoline will expand when it gets warm. There is another thread here somewhere about this.

Point is, that when you draw the gasoline up from the underground tank, it will be MUCH cooler than it will get when exposed to the warm summertime temps. So if the tank is filled up completely to the gascap, once it starts to expand, where's it going to go? I've taken to only filling the tank till the first nozzle shutoff as well. I think that may be the best way to do it, all things considered.

All good points to consider; however, whenever the gas pump shuts off, I quit pumping. I'm sure the problem is not a simple one and will cost many $$$ to correct! Thanks for your input!

There are two tanks with a "Y" fitting between them that has leaked on some Corvettes. You want to look for leaks, however if it is leaking from the y fitting it might possibly drip on a part of the car and not the floor of your garage. Also you might want to check the DIC and see if the car has thrown any codes. If there is a problem with your fuel cap it should throw a code or the check engine lite will come on. If the smell goes away it was probably that you filled it up too much, however you might have it looked at just to be sure there are no problems. If it happens everytime you fill up I would say something is wrong. The car shouldn't smell like gas unless you spill it or there is an opening somewhere. JMO.

Go here if you don't know how to read the DIC

http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=975

It sounds like it's "venting" somewhere in the system. I take it this only happens after a fill-up? How far do you drive home after filling up? And, hopefully, you don't have a gas hot water heater in your garage!

Thanks, everyone, for all the helpful suggestions. Yes, this only happens after a fill-up. The car is then driven home, about 5 miles and parked in the garage. Thankfully, we have an electric hot water heater and not gas! Now we just have to figure out what to do with the nitrous tanks!!

Nytro, thanks for your comments. The DIC info link you attached will be most helpful. One of our club members is a Corvette mechanic at a local dealership. If he has any thoughts on this issue, I'll be sure to let everyone know. Thanks!

I also get that fuel odor after "topping off". It seems as though the excess fuel migrates to the evaporative discharge canister and overwhelms it. As others have mentioned, by filling only to the point of automatic closing of the fill nozzle, this problem can be avoided. My car has 59k showing and started doing this about 6 - 8 months ago.

We have been told that the primary tank (left side) needs to be filled virtually completely before it transfers fuel to the auxiliary tank. The fumes often escape from this crossover pipe. They resolved this problem on the 04's by pulling ahead the C6 tank revised crossover pipe height. The problem has not occurred since, to our knowledge.

Back