• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

Could use some opinions

GentleBen

Hi all, new member here.

After 55 years I'm finally able to get that vette I've always wanted and am looking for some opinions. I have 20k to invest and am having a hard time deciding on a 94-96 C4 under 80,000 miles or a 97-99 C5, most in my price range have over 80,000 miles. I'm thinking the C4 would be the better investment but the C5 would have much better performance. I also worry about all those miles on a C5.

I also plan on roaming all over florida to find just the right vette. How the heck can I drive it home legally, I will have the plate off my old car, but of course it won't be registered yet. I can always bolt the plate on and cross my fingers until I get to the title office, but that wouldn't be my first choice!

Any and all opinions and thoughts would be appreciated.

My opion

Welcome to the world of Corvettes. I have both an '86 and an '03. I love 'em both. If you are thinking of showing the car the C-5 is the better choice. The engine compartment is much easier to clean and keep clean. Of course performance is a bit better in the C-5 also. If you elect to get a C-5 they came with runflats (it's 50/50 as to whether or not they are good) and a digital readout on the DIC - Driver's Information Center. If you elect to go with an early C-4 you have to deal with the all digital dash. I've replaced components in mine about 4 times.

Look at all of them and ultimately the choice is yours. Either way it's a Corvette!!! :welcome:

Generally speaking a 95/96 is a little more problem free than a 97/98.I've had an 87 and an 03 moving to an 08. I'd look for a real nice late c-4 and you'll be able to find one (or many) for $20,000 or under.

You might pop in on line to www.frontiermotors.biz A lot of people on different forums in the south swear by him.

You should be able to get into a late C4 with reasonable miles for well under that 20k:thumbsup:The market has tanked and they're just not selling like they used to:(

The C5 is a great car as well. The ride is going to be head and shoulders above the C4 and the performance will amaze you:thumbsup:

As for driving it home, thats not a problem. If you get it from a dealer, you;ll get a dealer tag. If you have your bill of sale, you're good. You can get a temp tag from your local tag office until your new one comes in unless you're using the one off the other car?

Bear in mind that age is age. Older cars will just normally have more things that go wrong simply because the materials have aged. I think the best method of attack would be to set a limit on how much you can spend, and then find the newest car you can afford.

Hi all, new member here.

How the heck can I drive it home legally, I will have the plate off my old car, but of course it won't be registered yet. I can always bolt the plate on and cross my fingers until I get to the title office, but that wouldn't be my first choice!

Any and all opinions and thoughts would be appreciated.

You can get an interim temp tag based on the bill of sale/signed over title for $5 even before its registered or insured - I had to do it with my vette two months ago so I could drive it to the DMV so they could check the VIN as I bought it out of state.

Age is age for you too! You need to decide how much you personally are willing to do. I'm 56 and have had my '61 for two months and have worked on it a LOT more than I intended. Tuning it up, adjusting solid lifters, touching up paint, replacing all the rubber connected to the gas tank, replacing interior trim, etc.

Also, don't forget good ole FLA sales tax; cost me $3K to get my car registered in the state.

thanks for all the replies guys, very helpful.

Beautiful car fdreano, worth the work I'm sure. I'm not forgetting good old florida sales tax, and it has to stay at 20k out the door. That still gives me a lot of choices.

So far two have caught my eye, a 1996 collector edition LT4 with 50k and a 1999 with 95k and a few mods. Both silver convertibles.

Decisions, decisions (I've had worse):hehehe:

I wouldn't worry too much about the mileage on the C5's. I'd be more concerned with the maintenance records. If the previous owner(s) kept good records and took proper care of the car, 90+ is not that big a deal.

My Z28 with the LS1 had 130 on it when I sold it and it ran like a top. And it didn't have the "best" maintenance either:( The LS engine is a tough platform.

Do some more research as well. Several of the years had problems specific to them, such as oil usage and this and that. A quick search at COrvetteValley (www.corvettevalley.com) or corvette forum will usually give you what your looking for. Several of the members here can help you too. Greg at AntiVenom or Tracy at Rx can probably give you some things to look out for.

Check GM's recall list as well.

hope this helps some.

You have a pm.

Gordon

I had a 95 C-4, before finding my 01 C-5 the performance is far better with the C-5. The only real issue with the C-4 is the ' optic - spark ' it is harmed by water and it is located behing the water pump. Very expensive to replace. good luck in the hunt.

Hi Ben, welcome to the world of vettes. I saw a nice 1996 C4 Grand Sport on ebay the other day. It is located in Palm Harbor Florida just south of you. It is the rare model the has red leather interior and I think it was in the low $20,000 range. If you want I can connect you with my friend, who has a repair shop and auto broker license, who picked up my 2000 C5 silver/red leather/6speed coupe vette for me at the orlando auctions for only $23.000. It had 43,500 miles. The best part is he handles all the tag and title paperwork for you. He is very honest and he doesn't buy junk at the auctions. He will call your cell phone while he is at the auction and will describe the car to you and check it out. I could not have found a better deal anywhere else. Let me know, Phil

To bad for me it must be a 6 speed. There are a bunch of auto's out there.
Ask and you shall Receive!!!!:thumbsup::D:D:D Your in Luck all I have left is 6 sp's!! Last Automatic went Last Saturday!!:dancer01:I need to sell a couple more before the Snow flies, Because when the winter Repair work comes in I'm short on Storage space!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

CLICK!!

CLICK!!

CLICK!!

CLICK!!

:welcome::welcome::welcome::dancer01:

Welcome to the most wonderful car club in the world,there's nothing like a Corvette,no matter what year it is.:thumbsup:

Whatever vette you do decide to buy, have the car throughly inspected first by a good corvette mechanic. If they find stuff that needs to be repaired or replaced (and they will find something, believe me!), you'll have better negotiating room buying the car. Auto XTC and Antivenom can help you with inspection if you live on the west coast of Florida.

My advise- go out and just drive the cars you like. Just go to dealers
and test drive to get a feel for vettes AND don't go with the idea that
your buying a car today. Do your research go to Borders the library,
READ.
Find one treat it like any used car Inspect-Inspect.
Good luck

Back