Welcome Room Member introductions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 03-27-2009, 04:10 PM   #1
banter
Saving for it...

Name :
banter has disabled reputation
Default Hello everyone...

I guess I should start out by saying that I don't own a Corvette (yet). I fell in love with Corvettes ever since I found out what they were and the love hasn't faltered a bit since. I'm planning on getting a Corvette within the next year (or two depending on how the economy effects my job), but I've got my mind set on it so I'm going to do it. I've got a pretty good knowledge of cars in general. I've owned 3 cars so far in my short life (I'm only 22): a '91 eclipse (worst car ever), '99 camaro v6, and my current '07 cobalt.

The eclipse was $600 and I bought it off of my brother just so that I would have a car to get to my job. I told myself that my next car would be an f-body and 6 months later the eclipse died. I soon discovered that being 17 years old and wanting an f-body didn't go together very well. The v8 was out of the question as state farm wanted to charge me $475 a month for insurance. So I found a nice 5 speed '99 camaro v6 and that was my car knowledge learning tool. Today, I'm glad that I got a v6 then and not a v8 as I probably would be dead right now. Anyways, I modded the crap out of that camaro; everything from headers, 4.10 gears, and eventually a relatively large camshaft (all of which I installed myself with some friends). I was always ridiculed for modding a v6 camaro but I have no regrets. The car was pretty quick when it was all said in done, and I managed to get it in a forum's yearly calendar. I was young and stupid at the time (well, I'm still young just not as stupid) and street racing a bit and managed to beat a few LS1 camaros after the cam was installed. A few months later, I had quit racing altogether (legal or not) and got a job that had a 30 mile one way trip. Needless to say, a cammed v6 doesn't quite get the 32mpg on the highway like it did before the cam. So I ended up selling the camaro and buying a 2007 cobalt a little over 2 years ago. It's not a bad car, gets amazing gas mileage (I average 36mpg mixed), but it certainly has no power. I'm still very into cars and miss modding them like crazy.

Sorry for the long intro, but I figured I'd share a little of my car history. I'm signing up here because I am determined to get a Corvette as my next car. The way things look now (financially) I'll be looking for a c5 z06 or an ls2 C6, but I'm basically here to learn a bit more about Corvettes so that I won't be completely clueless by the time I do own one. Also, I'm hoping you guys will be able to give me some things to look out for when it does come time to buy one as well. I tend to ramble (like right now) and I'm pretty unbiased when it comes to car stuff, and I look forward to hanging around this forum.

-Corey
banter is offline   Reply With Quote