• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

I Hurt my car ......

JCswm

On my way to work...one minuite I'm cruising along around 90 or so...... Then I hear a KaPOP!!! and I'm sideways on I 275N in the high speed lane
momsPictures002.jpg

at least 80% tread left on a 3 yr old tire

You (and your car) are pretty lucky all things considered:thumbsup:

Very sorry about your car, but it can be repaired. You on the other hand, can not be replaced:(

I've seen much worse at lower speeds. Good thing you caught it when you did:thumbsup:

Stay safe and try to have a good Holiday anyway bro:thumbsup:

I'm so sorry to see what happened to your car:nonod:
But as others have said, the car can be replaced, you, on the other hand cannot be replaced. Thank God you are ok!
Just look at it like you got your bad luck out of the way, and the rest of the holidays can rock:thumbsup:

Cat

Man, glad you are OK. What brand tires are those? If it were me, I'd have those other three replaced along with the popped one. The next one blowing might not have you walking away from it.

Cooper cobra GT tires in excellent condition with approx 80% tread left

in all fairness to cooper tires.....
These tires have made SEVERAL 300 mile high speed trips without issue (tampa-Tallahassee in the middle of the night) at times hitting 130mph without issue. I'm certian it was a road hazzard issue not a "junk tire"

I Know, I Know..... Flame suit on for driving like an idiot

Ouch:eek: Oh Sh*t:eek: and those things. I agree with all above reference your safety but vintage glass damaged will cause me to go drink a beer in her (the vette) and your honor.

Sounds like you handled the emergency well. I sure sign of a skilled driver in a great car.:thumbsup:

If that is all the damage, blowing a tire doing 90,

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

Trust me...I've seen aftermath MUCH WORSE after a blown tire ... i do consider it a gift!!!

it still SUCKS though!!! some of my last minuite gift $$ now gets spent on repairs!!!

Sorry to hear about blowing the tire. But better it was a rear tire than a front at those speeds. I agree with RichZ, I would replace all four tires if it was my C3. Good luck with the repairs.

Rich

I'd have to agree with you JC. It was more likely road hazard than catastrophic failure. Even then, do a little research and see if there have been any other cooper tire failures similar to this (ie: the Fire stone and Goodyear fiascos!) just to be on the safe side.

I jumped to an uninformed conclusion or speculation.

I did some research for you (posted below). Please take a look at it and govern yourself accordingly bro:thumbsup:

Here's a little info for you:

http://www.vehicle-injuries.com/tire-failure-cooper.htm

http://www.farrin.com/personal-inju...-investigated-for-excessive-failure-rates.php

http://www.tirefailures.com/coopertire/

Attorney Bruce Kaster’s recent settlement with Cooper Tire & Rubber Co. marks the latest in a series of successful lawsuits against major tire manufacturers. Cooper Tire was sanctioned for shredding documents by Federal District Court Judge George Howard. This was the first time that a major tire company has been caught destroying documents in legal proceedings

http://www.tiredefects.com/defective-cooper-tires-unsafe-production.cfm

"I've seen everything from a watch cured into a tire, to a time card, to a soda can, to you name it. Aluminum foil - I've seen chicken bones," said Martin Mahan of Texarkana, a 24-year employee.

Asked if any tires with embedded foreign objects made it past inspectors and into stores, Mahan said, "I would be willing to bet my life on it."

Employees routinely used a repair method requiring them to puncture air bubbles in tires with an icepick-like tool and used a solvent that, if applied improperly, could eventually cause tires to fall apart, the workers said.

Cooper workers, chatting on coffee breaks, sometimes worried shoddy manufacturing practices would one day cause a fatal highway accident.

"Everyone would say, 'This company is in for some big trouble one of these days if we don't change our practices,' " said William Douglas Eaton of Okolona, Miss., who worked at the Tupelo plant for 13 years

(THIS ONE LISTS ALL RECALLS BY COOPER TIRE)
http://www.tiredefects.com/cooper-tire-recall.cfm

http://www.texastriallawyer.com/news/news_page.php?ArticleID=201
Cooper Tire Recall Models Include:

Cooper Trendsetter A/W Tire Recall

Cooper Trendsetter SE Tire Recall

Cooper Radial XL Tire Recall

Cooper Durasteel Tire Recall

Cooper Dean Galaxie GT Tires Recall

Cooper Dean Alpha IV Season Tire Recall

Trailcat All Season Tire Recall

Cooper Falls Roadmaster IV Tire Recall

Cooper Starfire Flite-line A/S Tire Recall

CooperLaramie Tempra Year Round Tires Recall

Cooper Sentry Deluxe Classic LX Tire Recall

Cooper Premier II All Season Tire Recall

Cooper Cordovan Centron Tire Recall

Merit Four Season 75
Size: P205/75R14

I realize that most of the recalls are for light truck and SUV's but it ought to make you go huuummm?????

Gordon

Cooper Cobra GT:eek:

http://injury.findlaw.com/defective-dangerous-products/recall.feeds/nhtsa/1999/03/pr032999.html

TIRES

Cooper Tire & Rubber Company
Models: Cooper Cobra Radial G/T P215/70R14

Number Involved: 216
Dates of Manufacture: November - December 1998
Defect: This recall involves Cobra Radial G/T P215/70R14 tires (Serial Number 3DHYC28468, 478, 488) manufactured from Nov. 15 through Dec. 5, 1998; and Viper Radial GT P215/70R14 tires (Serial Numbers 3DHYUDN468 and 478) manufactured from Nov.15, through Nov. 28, 1998. These tires may not have adequate rubber coverage of the belt edge due to low tread gauge under the shoulder slots. If separation is not detected, continued use can cause the ply cords to break and the tubeless liner to tear, which will allow the air to escape and the tire to become flat.

Remedy: Dealers will replace these tires. Owner notification is expected to begin during March 1999. Owners who are unable to receive the free replacement tires within a reasonable time should contact Cooper Tire at 1-800-854-6288.

[NHTSA Recall No. 99T004/Cooper Tire Recall No. 107]

Later recall on Cooper Cobras:

http://ohio.adtaker.com/recalls/info.aspx?mk=COOPER&i=COOPER+COOPER+COBRA+RADIAL+G/T

COOPER COOPER COBRA RADIAL G/T - Campaign #06T016000
Summary: TIRES:TREAD/BELT
Defect:
CERTAIN COOPER TIRES OF VARIOUS MODELS LISTED ABOVE MANUFACTURED BETWEEN AUGUST 6 AND AUGUST 19, 2006 (DOT SERIAL WEEKS 3206 AND 3306.) SOME OF THE SUBJECT TIRES MAY HAVE BEEN PRODUCED WITH NON-CONFORMING BELT WIRE COAT STOCK. IF PLACED IN SERVICE, THE SUBJECT TIRES MAY DEVELOP A BELT SEPARATION DUE TO A REDUCED ABILITY TO PREVENT CORROSION OF THE STEEL WIRES IN AN INSTANCE WHERE MOISTURE REACHES THE STEEL BELT.
Consequence:
A BELT SEPARATION COULD RESULT IN A VEHICLE CRASH.Corrective action:
COOPER TIRE WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND REPLACE THE DEFECTIVE TIRES FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING OCTOBER 2006. OWNERS MAY CONTACT COOPER TIRE CONSUMER RELATIONS AT 1-800-854-6288.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Defect:
CERTAIN COOPER TIRES OF VARIOUS MODELS LISTED ABOVE MANUFACTURED BETWEEN AUGUST 6 AND AUGUST 19, 2006 (DOT SERIAL WEEKS 3206 AND 3306.) SOME OF THE SUBJECT TIRES MAY HAVE BEEN PRODUCED WITH NON-CONFORMING BELT WIRE COAT STOCK. IF PLACED IN SERVICE, THE SUBJECT TIRES MAY DEVELOP A BELT SEPARATION DUE TO A REDUCED ABILITY TO PREVENT CORROSION OF THE STEEL WIRES IN AN INSTANCE WHERE MOISTURE REACHES THE STEEL BELT.
Consequence:
A BELT SEPARATION COULD RESULT IN A VEHICLE CRASH.
Corrective action:
COOPER TIRE WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND REPLACE THE DEFECTIVE TIRES FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING OCTOBER 2006. OWNERS MAY CONTACT COOPER TIRE CONSUMER RELATIONS AT 1-800-854-6288.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Defect:
Consequence:
Corrective action:

Please have the DOT numbers checked on the remaining tires for NHTSA compliance or recall....please...

Later recall on Cooper Cobras:

http://ohio.adtaker.com/recalls/info.aspx?mk=COOPER&i=COOPER+COOPER+COBRA+RADIAL+G/T

Defect:
Consequence:
A BELT SEPARATION COULD RESULT IN A VEHICLE CRASH.Corrective action:

Defect:
Consequence:
Corrective action:

Defect:
Consequence:
Corrective action:

Please have the DOT numbers checked on the remaining tires for NHTSA compliance or recall....please...

ONLY THE SHADOW KNOWS!

Back