• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

FAST Autocross - Tampa Bay Downs - June 15

shakedown067

Sinister C4
Here's the info for the June event at FAST. June 15th at Tampa Bay Downs

Just have to sign the insurance waiver, get a wrist band, and you can ask around for ride-a-longs. I'm certainly more than happy to have passengers. Looks like it's going to be a fun course! Event is closed for new drivers though.

Course Map

Come out, say hi, take some pictures, see how it all goes down.

All corvettes, at least C4-C7 are in S1 (Stock Street Tire 1). Although your real enemy are those stinking S2000s.

Last event results, although I wouldn't be concerned with results right away.

For reference, I'm in M1 (Modified Street Tire 1).

You get to replace those old hard tires yet?

I found a set of wheels to fit the car but the fronts are 17 x 9.5 and the rears are 17x 11.
Should I get all the same size? Will it hurt to have smaller front tires?

The 17x9.5 and 17x11 is the most common combo. Otherwise I'd actually recommend 18x9.5 for all for corners, but I don't know anyone that makes the correct offset for the rears. The reason that's probably all you can find is the 17x11 for the 84-87 cars is the same offset as the ZR-1s. I do recommend the verdestein ultrac senssontas that I run. Great dry and wet traction. Do not get anything with sumitomo on it. They suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you know of a local place I can find used wheels?
I've been searching on craigslist but that's hit or miss...

The trouble there will be finding anything in a 17 or 18 that will have the current rear backspacing. Personally, I'd swap out the rear knuckles from an 88-96...but I'm not sure what all is involved with that. I know the parking brake is completely different, and I think you could reuse everything else. But if it's that easy, it seems more people would do it.

The best place I know of locally for used Corvette Parts is the The Corvette Shop on Dale Mabry in Tampa.

The trouble there will be finding anything in a 17 or 18 that will have the current rear backspacing. Personally, I'd swap out the rear knuckles from an 88-96...but I'm not sure what all is involved with that. I know the parking brake is completely different, and I think you could reuse everything else. But if it's that easy, it seems more people would do it.

The best place I know of locally for used Corvette Parts is the The Corvette Shop on Dale Mabry in Tampa.

There is one pad to consider, Hawk HPS. It's an advanced street pad. I think the HP+, which I run, would just be too much for you right now. They dust A LOT!

Give Van Steel a call, 727-561-9199. They are here in Clearwater and typically ship same day. Or, you can call (to make sure they are in stock) and just drive down to pick them up if you feel like going for a cruise.

For tires, if you go with the 17x11s out back, I highly recommend the tires I run. Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta. Heck, I'd probably recommend these for you anyway, as it's a great blend of track and street compound. And are FANTASTIC in the rain...which I'm always concerned about. I don't like "having" to slow down due to the tires. Just FYI, the treadwear rating is 280. For some reason no one lists that rating on their site.

There is one pad to consider, Hawk HPS. It's an advanced street pad. I think the HP+, which I run, would just be too much for you right now. They dust A LOT!

Give Van Steel a call, 727-561-9199. They are here in Clearwater and typically ship same day. Or, you can call (to make sure they are in stock) and just drive down to pick them up if you feel like going for a cruise.

For tires, if you go with the 17x11s out back, I highly recommend the tires I run. Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta. Heck, I'd probably recommend these for you anyway, as it's a great blend of track and street compound. And are FANTASTIC in the rain...which I'm always concerned about. I don't like "having" to slow down due to the tires. Just FYI, the treadwear rating is 280. For some reason no one lists that rating on their site.

Looking around, it looks like these tires like to run better on LOW air pressures. So I'll be trying a very low 30f/29r next event!

I don't think it'll really help. It's not that the rubber has hardened, it's more of finding the optimal contact patch. Some tires start to actually pull UP in the middle of the tire when too much air is let out. But it looks like Vredestein is built well enough to run a very low air pressure...which is a good thing. Most slicks, like the Kumho 710s, run under 30psi HOT. I think I started at 28/26 and usually had to knock it back down out of the 30s after a few laps. Funny enough, I do have a can of VHT from when I had the 710s, as they had sat in a garage for sometime. Man where those a blast to drive on!

I found a set of zr1 reproduction wheels that are 9.5 wide front and rear. The guy has them mounted on an early 90s firebird. Will the fit my 85?
Joe

That'll be for the 88+ offset, so the rears will sit inward too much. The rear offset on those 84-87s is really odd. If you went with those I'd just get one-piece adapters on the rear. Probably cost around $125-150. I have these on my truck running C6 wheels and they are SOLID.

photo-60.JPG

Back