The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > The Ranting Room

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

The Ranting Room Got a gripe about life? Want to sound off about the unfairness of the universe? Does something just REALLY piss you off? Well, come on in and talk about it!

Closed Thread
Unread 03-01-2011, 07:51 AM   #1
Bob K
Deceased

Name : Bob Korreck
Bob K has disabled reputation
Default Privacy

When you sign up and become a member of a message board do you expect your personal information to remain private? I realize that some people don't care and like myself they'll use real names but what about those of you that want to remain private?

My opinion is that it is a right to expect privacy and I cannot think of a more serious violation of your right to remain private when your personal information is posted on a board without your permission.

One example would be someone involved in law enforcement. I know several members are working in that field. As such, I'm sure they run across vindictive people that would just love to get some of their personal info.

Any comments?
Unread 03-01-2011, 09:01 AM   #2
C6Flatfoot

Name :
C6Flatfoot has disabled reputation

I believe that it has become a common and dangerous trend for people to put too much of their personal information out on the internet.

As popular as Facebook and some other sites are, the bad guys are able to learn enough about some folks to use the information for scams and worse. Con artists and sexual predators love Facebook and chatrooms, and Craigslist, and other sites, and use them to find potential victims.

Once your "stuff"is out there, you can't take it back.

Just in the short time that I've been a member of this online club, I've seen a couple of posts that made me think, what or where is this guy coming from?, and what is he even looking at or posting on this forum for?

We all need to be careful about putting out too much personal info and that is just my .02 cents opinion about it.
Unread 03-01-2011, 09:16 AM   #3
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
When you sign up and become a member of a message board do you expect your personal information to remain private? I realize that some people don't care and like myself they'll use real names but what about those of you that want to remain private?

My opinion is that it is a right to expect privacy and I cannot think of a more serious violation of your right to remain private when your personal information is posted on a board without your permission.

One example would be someone involved in law enforcement. I know several members are working in that field. As such, I'm sure they run across vindictive people that would just love to get some of their personal info.

Any comments?
Sure.

It depends?
Why post someones full name without thier permission?
If it's done vindictively, there could be issues.

Under Florida law for example, the public disclosure of undercover officers informatrion is a felony.

I believe (I'd have to go back and research), that releasing certian other personal information on most officers in general, may have criminal ramifications as well.

If it's "generally" done in conversation, that's a whole other game.
No harm no foul.

For me personally, I sometimes use my first name on this and other boards, and on maybe one or 2 occasions, have used my last.

My friends here know my full name (and phone number and some, even my address), but they are friends and I've choosen to provide that information to them.
Again, I choose not to repeatedly make that information public.

All that aside, yes, unless I request or authorize it's dissemination, I want it to remain private.

Even when I sign onto other message boards, I either don't fill in my DOB or alter it significantly.

If I'm required to use a 'full name", it's usually an initial and a partial name. If I can't get on any other way, I don't belong there.
I don't want to take the identity theft risk.
It's a personal thing, nothing else.

There may be some sites where that option isn't available.
Then the member has to decide.
No one is there with you, and most don't really verify. Short of being in the same room, there's really no 'real' way to verify.

As with our own BOI, I made a personal decision not to post there, simply because I didn't want to have my FULL NAME constantly in front of the internet world while doing so.

Security and family safety issues (personal retaliation by the "offended party") aside, I own a couple of business.

Not everyone is going to agree with my position on some things, and my comments in a BOI type thread, could be misconstrued by a casual reader and cause me serious problems.
Since we couldn't seem to find a better solution, I simply chose not to participate.
It was a personal decision for me, and nothing to do with the site or the way it was operated.

As a mod, it was probably not the best decision I could have made, but it was one I was willing to make and stand behind

As a member, I believe it's your right to choose.

I don't put my first name in one post, and my last name in another
I use my first name and that's about it.
As I said, I may have used my full name once or twice around here and other places, but not as a rule

I agreee 100% with the above.

Too much personal information out there now that can do harm if in the wrong hands.
I don't have facebook, myspace, or a twitter account and I'm doing just fine without them

IMO, ANY voilation, would be a violation of the persons trust.
JMHO

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Unread 03-01-2011, 11:11 AM   #4
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

You two sure seem to be walking in lockstep lately. One could come to the conclusion that you both are partners or something.....
Unread 03-01-2011, 08:08 PM   #5
donzee

Name :
donzee is on a distinguished road

Rich,, thanks for answering my ?? how forums work.
I never realized that there was that much involved.
Unread 03-01-2011, 08:55 PM   #6
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by donzee View Post
Rich,, thanks for answering my ?? how forums work.
I never realized that there was that much involved.
I guess it does look easy at a casual glance. Hope it was helpful..
Unread 03-02-2011, 12:45 AM   #7
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
You two sure seem to be walking in lockstep lately. One could come to the conclusion that you both are partners or something.....
I'm a little confused Rich. I apologize, but I wonder why you are still angry enough at Shadow and or Bob to keep the argument going (even in different threads). I think (an I am not telling you what to do on your own board here) but maybe you should just ban Shadow and anyone who has ever agreed with him on any topic ever and just let the web site be a more peaceful place for you.

Are you ok? Seriously, is there anything we can help with as friends on the board?
Unread 03-02-2011, 01:11 AM   #8
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Rocket View Post
I'm a little confused Rich. I apologize, but I wonder why you are still angry enough at Shadow and or Bob to keep the argument going (even in different threads). I think (an I am not telling you what to do on your own board here) but maybe you should just ban Shadow and anyone who has ever agreed with him on any topic ever and just let the web site be a more peaceful place for you.

Are you ok? Seriously, is there anything we can help with as friends on the board?
Hint: You may not know the WHOLE story....
Unread 03-02-2011, 01:50 AM   #9
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Rocket View Post

BTW, while I am thinking of it, isn't YOUR bias showing a bit in that you didn't make note that Bob (along with Shadow in his response) brought this topic HERE (even though it BROUGHT the topic here from another thread), and not ME? So in effect someone else brought the topic here, and yet YOU are blaming this on me. But I guess that's a different kettle of fish, eh?
Unread 03-02-2011, 06:50 AM   #10
Bob K
Deceased

Name : Bob Korreck
Bob K has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Hint: You may not know the WHOLE story....
Why don't you tell us cause I don't have a clue what you're talking about.
Closed Thread