• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

Got ticket, I think I need a lawyer????

guno89

Well I live here in Florida, I have NY plates on my car. I roll a stop sign in my complex for my job, get pulled over by a motorcycle cop. He knows I work here i'm in a office complex. I say I moved here 2 weeks ago. He threatens to take me to jail since I have a NY license.

Now I rolled this stop sign going 3-6mph, he says well there was a car behind you. (There was about 40-50ft) he says you have no regard for his property or the property around you). He writes me a "reckless driving" ticket.

He puts on the ticket I been here 2 weeks so I had no choice to get my Florida license. Since then I got my Florida license, I didn't get the plates yet I will in the next week or so.

This happened in St. Pete, do I need a lawyer for this since it's a criminal offense? I have never been to court here yet so I am unfamiliar w/ the process. I wasn't driving the Vette when this happened I was in my Mustang.

Not sure what the laws say but reckless driving sounds pretty harsh for rolling a stop sign. So does threatening you with jail. Maybe the cop was having a bad day.:shrug01: You might want to get a lawyer and see what he says. Reckless driving will probably be a higher fine and points than just failure to stop.

Don't tell me you got tagged by the only damned motor cop SPPD has:lmao: If it was FHP, he should be ashamed of himself:( He should know better!

There's nothing "reckless" in the actions you described. Even "careless" is a stretch. You ran a sign, failed to obey a traffic control device, thats it;)

Here's a link to the apolicable Florida statute governing drivers licensing:
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0322/SEC031.HTM&Title=->2007->Ch0322->Section%20031#0322.031

Two (2) weeks ain't gonna cut it. 30 days is the rule:thumbsup:

Here's the link to the "reckless driving" statute:
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0316/SEC192.HTM&Title=->2007->Ch0316->Section%20192#0316.192

Did your actions cause anyone to brake, swerve, slow down or take other evasive action to aviod you?

The cars to the rear have absolutely no bearing on the matter. That is, unless you were backing up through the intersection:lmao:

Sounds like our buddy was having a very bad day. With an attitude like that though, it could get much worse very quickly.

There's no need for a lecture. Just write the ticket and move on. sure, I've given a few lectures, but did not follow them up with a ticket.

Forget driving school, take this one to court.

If his actions were unprofessional on the scene, call IA.

As a retired motor officer, I prefer those that do the job correctly and professionally. John Wayne is dead...leave him there!

When I moved to Florida, In titled both my vehicles and got both our driver license the first week. I thought the law was if you work & live in Florida you have to have a Florida Tag and License?

When I moved to Florida, In titled both my vehicles and got both our driver license the first week. I thought the law was if you work & live in Florida you have to have a Florida Tag and License?

If you file homestead exemption, have children in school, or become gainfully employed, you have 30 days to obtain the proper documentation.

Guno89, We need more details please. No offense but I see your a new member. You have 4 posts to your name and you come to a Corvette site looking for avice on a Criminal Ticket. I understand that you own a Vette too, but the resorces you have chosen seem suspicious to me.

I also have a problem with the story itself. Any motor officer you meet has been on the job awhile. They do not make rookies motor officers so I would venture to say that the poor interpretation of the law (ie 3-4 mph running a stop sign) turning into a reckless driving (a willfull and wanton disregard for the life safety and property of others) not sounding right. The statute book is very thick, and there are some statutes that can fit different offenses, but this seems overboard. I also know that motor officers know that traffic statute section by memory, and don't make simple mistakes like that. The motor guys can be VERY dry on humor if they have any at all, but they also know traffic statutes very well.

Until we hear more I'm calling BS on this one. Either this is a poke at police with a mostly false story or it's an April Fool joke since the original post is 04/01/08. :rolleyes:

Excellent point Rocket:thumbsup:

We didn't make rookies motor officers, but sometimes we sure had our share of 'tards:(

We really need to screen the applicants better all the way around.

But you're right. Our junior motor officer when I was there had at least 10 years on except our "token" female (don't get bent over that comment-she really was). She went through motor school (barely) rode maybe a month, and got reassigned to training:rolleyes:

After that, the only time we saw her was when the sheriff needed a female presence.

...I would venture to say that the poor interpretation of the law (ie 3-4 mph running a stop sign) turning into a reckless driving (a willfull and wanton disregard for the life safety and property of others) not sounding right

:iagree:

The statute book is very thick, and there are some statutes that can fit different offenses, but this seems overboard. I also know that motor officers know that traffic statute section by memory, and don't make simple mistakes like that. The motor guys can be VERY dry on humor if they have any at all, but they also know traffic statutes very well.

:iagree: again:thumbsup:

...Either this is a poke at police with a mostly false story or it's an April Fool joke since the original post is 04/01/08.

You know, I've never gotten into this whole April Fools mess:thumbsdown:

You might just have a point:thumbsup:

Want to give us more details?

Feel free to PM me or rocket the officers name or the citation control number:thumbsup:

Guno89, We need more details please. No offense but I see your a new member. You have 4 posts to your name and you come to a Corvette site looking for avice on a Criminal Ticket. I understand that you own a Vette too, but the resorces you have chosen seem suspicious to me.

I also have a problem with the story itself. Any motor officer you meet has been on the job awhile. They do not make rookies motor officers so I would venture to say that the poor interpretation of the law (ie 3-4 mph running a stop sign) turning into a reckless driving (a willfull and wanton disregard for the life safety and property of others) not sounding right. The statute book is very thick, and there are some statutes that can fit different offenses, but this seems overboard. I also know that motor officers know that traffic statute section by memory, and don't make simple mistakes like that. The motor guys can be VERY dry on humor if they have any at all, but they also know traffic statutes very well.

Until we hear more I'm calling BS on this one. Either this is a poke at police with a mostly false story or it's an April Fool joke since the original post is 04/01/08. :rolleyes:

I wish it was a joke, and I only posted here cause I saw this section after I signed up since I was looking for some one to detail my car. Witch I did find and use.

The officer gave me crap cause I had NY plates. I have a very relaxed/whatever I don't give a shit attitude. I knew I was getting a ticket, I didn't kiss his ass i didn't yes sir yes officer him. He didn't even bring up the car behind me disregard for property until he came back to my car after he took my license registration and insurance. Thats when he says i'm citing you for reckless driving. I will go to court no biggie.

I wish it was a joke, and I only posted here cause I saw this section after I signed up since I was looking for some one to detail my car. Witch I did find and use.

The officer gave me crap cause I had NY plates. I have a very relaxed/whatever I don't give a shit attitude. I knew I was getting a ticket, I didn't kiss his ass i didn't yes sir yes officer him. He didn't even bring up the car behind me disregard for property until he came back to my car after he took my license registration and insurance. Thats when he says i'm citing you for reckless driving. I will go to court no biggie.

If what you're saying is correct and complete, you'll likely win. There's NO RECKLESS BEHAVIOR in your actions as you describe them.

The judge could reduce it to careless (still not the correct charge) or correctly amend it to the proper violation of failure to obey a traffic control device.

Let us know what happens.

I went to court, the judge offered me no points $300 fine. Obviously i was pissed I knew I was going to pay. I seriously thought about not taking it. I just don't want to go back to court. Good thing for the free $$$$ the gov is giving us. Half mine has been spent...

I went to court, the judge offered me no points $300 fine. Obviously i was pissed I knew I was going to pay. I seriously thought about not taking it. I just don't want to go back to court. Good thing for the free $$$$ the gov is giving us. Half mine has been spent...

So, you got a withold, no point and a fine, right?

It's unfortunate that we've come to this in our system of jurisprudence:( It's lets make a deal time, or better yet, EXTORTION time! Take what I'm offering (that way all the agencies get thier piece of the pie, or come back and take your chances...fat chance unless you lawyer up.

Gotta fill those county coffers somehow:(

The shame of it all is that such incidents force people to lose respect for those people wearing the badge and entrusted with enforcing the law. When laws are made solely to generate income for the state, and the people hired to enforce those laws do so basically as hired mercenaries, what will there be to respect? LEOs will simply become a class of people to avoid at all costs, because you know they will be evaluating YOU as their next victim to shake down for revenue.

:nonod:

Just to put these kind of incidents in perspective, first off, not all LEO's are like this. The old saying, "bad news travels fast", often applies here. The guy that gets an undeserved ticket is going to tell twice as many friends about it as the guy that got caught speeding but was let off with a warning. You (the public) always hear about the bad stuff cops get caught doing, and I realize that these things do happen, but that is from a small percentage of LEO's. The reasons behind the bad behavior vary. Bad day at work, little or no sleep, divorce, or just someone who never should have been a LEO to begin with. I'm not making excuses for these people, but these, and other things do factor in occasionaly. Please don't judge all LEO's by the behavior exemplified by the few who choose to misuse their position of authority.

Back