• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

GPS

Pres712

Pres712
Does anyone know anything about the Lowrance 250C GPS unit? I was at a party last night and we were talking about GPS units and some had a Garman but one of my "techies" told me the Lowrance is less expensive and a better unit. Garman is around $500 and the Lowrance is $200. I e-bayed them and got prices. Unless anyone knows something I don't, I'm going for the Lowrance? :shrug01:

Lowrance has been used in the maritime industry for decades and has proven itself very reliable and dependable.:thumbsup:

My son bought me the laptop version of Garmin last year and I love it too. I've only had a couple of issues with it's realiability (it took me to the Gulf when i was trying to find an inland street...I guess it really knows me:rofl1: ).

A buddy of mine from Melbourne, Fl. also had his Garmin totally screw up his route to and from Bradenton the other day. Not sure how it happened but it did. I finally had to get him to turn it off and listen to me. Took him right where he wanted to go:thumbsup:

If the Lowrance is cheaper, I'd probably go that route.

I've been using DeLorme's Street Atlas with the GPS USB antenna for years now and always take it on trips. Couldn't see the sense of a standalone unit when I normally take my laptop anyway. Works fine for me. Plus the larger screen on the laptop is a definite plus.

I have the Garmin 340 and have had no problem with directions, but it kept losing calabration and would not hold a charge. I sent it back to Garmin and they replaced it.
While it was out I bought Microsoft Streets & Trips with the USB GPS. As Rich mentioned the larger screen it great. When I am on the road by myself it is fine. But in the Vette with the wife it becomes bulky because of my 17" screen.

When a GPS mis-routes you. Is it the GPS unit or the Satallite? Do they each write their own software?

I'm about to by something.The Garmin 340 at Wal mart is a lot less than at Best Buy.

I'm about four weeks from purchase so keep us posted.

Back