The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > Legal Issues

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Legal Issues Traffic tickets | Laws | Pending Legislation

Unread 04-23-2007, 02:43 PM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Cell phone jammers

Earlier today the wife and I were talking about cell phones and the thought of a cell phone jammer in our workplace came up. Well I did some checking around and was surprised to find this law on the books:

Quote:
The operation of transmitters designed to jam or block wireless communications is a violation of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended ("Act"). See 47 U.S.C. Sections 301, 302a, 333. The Act prohibits any person from willfully or maliciously interfering with the radio communications of any station licensed or authorized under the Act or operated by the U.S. government. 47 U.S.C. Section 333. The manufacture, importation, sale or offer for sale, including advertising, of devices designed to block or jam wireless transmissions is prohibited. 47 U.S.C. Section 302a(b). Parties in violation of these provisions may be subject to the penalties set out in 47 U.S.C. Sections 501-510. Fines for a first offense can range as high as $11,000 for each violation or imprisonment for up to one year, and the device used may also be seized and forfeited to the U.S. government.
Sounds pretty severe to me. So it is not against the law for the cell phone companies to subject ME to all those various radio frequencies, yet it is illegal for ME to block them? Pretty obvious how much pull those cell phone companies have in Congress.....
Unread 04-23-2007, 02:52 PM   #2
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road

Yep.

They probably base the law against jamming the signals on safety though. If you own a Walmart for example, and an emergency happens inside, help cannot be called as quickly. If you get a severe situation like a hostage situation then you may not be able to get to a real land line to call 911.

Just a thought.....
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2007, 06:02 PM   #3
Rich Z

Well heck, I just want to block the darned signals from my reptile building. I have employees who are apparently addicted to text messaging and that sort of crap and sneak the things in their pockets even though we tell them to leave the cell phones out in their vehicles.

As for an emergency in Walmart, heck most of the people wouldn't even notice it because THEY would be to preoccupied with yacking it up on their cell phones....
Unread 04-23-2007, 09:35 PM   #4
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Well I'm not so hot under the collar for cell phones, but if you can figure out a way to jam all that hip hop, bumpin crap that some people call music, I'm sure you could market it. There is nothing more annoying than having some idiot pull up behind you at a red light with that crap turned up so loud you can't even hear your own stereo.
85vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2007, 07:50 AM   #5
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

I don't believe (haven't done the research) the federal law applies to blocking a cell phone signal.

The law as I recall was submitted to prevent or discourage the use of any equipment that would jam or disrupt military and government radio facilities and public broadcasts such as television and radion stations. The occasional pirate radio stations that will over ride and broadcast over public airwaves are more recenet examples.

We are not "licensed" stations as cell phone users due I believe to the frequencies they use. Maybe someone with a HAM operators license could chime in on that part. They are "licensed radio stations."

Some businesses are currently using jammers to prevent or obstruct cell phone use in thier place of business.

Although I agree there should be some modicum of decency and discipline in the use of cell phones in certain businesses and facilities, I think the ones that block them altogether are asking for trouble if/when the sheet hits the fan.

As for me, block my signal, I don't care. When all hell breaks loose, just follow the sound of gunfire!
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2007, 12:46 PM   #6
Rich Z

Trust me, no one on my property has any worries if firepower will save the day for them while they are here.......... There is no one they can call on the cell phone who will have more firepower at hand. Well, maybe excluding the Department of Defense, I guess.....

So if a cell phone jammer IS legally available, anyone got any sources?
Unread 04-25-2007, 12:40 AM   #7
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
Trust me, no one on my property has any worries if firepower will save the day for them while they are here.......... There is no one they can call on the cell phone who will have more firepower at hand. Well, maybe excluding the Department of Defense, I guess.....

GOOGLE bro. They're all over the place. Seem to run between about $150.00 on up to the 3-4k range.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2007, 12:21 PM   #8
RevXtreme 1
www.revxtreme.com

Name : Tracy Lewis
RevXtreme 1 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z

Rich,

Many Hotels use them so customers are forced to use & pay the charges for their phone service, so they are available. We finally had to let an employee go who spent more time on his than working.
RevXtreme 1 is offline   Reply With Quote