The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 08-22-2007, 01:23 AM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Cracked plug wire

A little while back, I was told that one of my plug wires was cracked from laying up against one of the header tubes....

So, I decided to just replace all the wires and while at it went for something different. Noticed in the Mid America Motorworks catalog that Granatelli had made spark plug wires with solid stainless steel wire centers...

http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette.html?frame=1.6327

Now back in the old days, this used to be the hot ticket for getting some extra perky throttle response. Take off those resistive carbon core wires and replace them with copper cored wires. Of course, they played hell on the radio, but I guess you can't have everything. Not sure what sort of interference these will make, but they are supposed to be compatible with the late model Corvette electronics.

While I was at it, I went and put on cool socks over all the spark plug wires and boot on the plug itself...

http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette.html?frame=1.2932

I figure they might help to keep these wires from getting burned by the header tubes. Some of them run mighty close to those tubes.

It sure is a tight squeeze trying to work on getting those spark plug wires off and on. Especially on that number 7 spark plug. Not much room to work in there. I've got small hands, so I have no idea how someone with big mitts could do that. Only drew a little bit of blood off of one knuckle, so it wasn't too bad, I guess.

Hope I have everything snugged up. The number 1 cylinder wire doesn't feel like it snapped in on the coil, but darn if I could do any better with it after fiddling for a while. Guess I'll see if it comes loose while I am driving. That dirt road I live on should be a good test for it. When I started it up, everything seemed to be working OK.

Taking the car for a drive tomorrow, so I'm curious to see if there is any noticeable seat of the pants difference with those solid core wires. I kind of doubt there will be, simply because those wires are so darn short that it is unlikely that resistance of the wires will have any significant impact. But heck, I needed to replace a wire anyway, so why not try something like this?
Unread 08-22-2007, 09:52 AM   #2
gmjunkie
Corvette,GM Classic Freak

Name : I'm Not Post'n in BOI
gmjunkie is on a distinguished road

I don't think they will give you much radio noise,there not that long and the electronics is much more Refined now days!!! That one was Definitely arcing though!!!
Unread 08-22-2007, 02:15 PM   #3
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Hi Rich, just saw you on 319 near the Library. I would have stopped you and said Hello, but I had someone waiting in my office. Good looking Vette, that banner on your windshield really stands out! Did the plug wires do the trick? I'll get up with you later, take care.
85vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2007, 06:39 PM   #4
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :
98 softtail will become famous soon enough98 softtail will become famous soon enough

I guess that plugwire would be Snap,Crackle and Pop.
98 softtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2007, 03:06 AM   #5
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette
Hi Rich, just saw you on 319 near the Library. I would have stopped you and said Hello, but I had someone waiting in my office. Good looking Vette, that banner on your windshield really stands out! Did the plug wires do the trick? I'll get up with you later, take care.
Hey Jeff! I thought that might have been you. I think I saw you flip on the lights when you passed me. I waved but you might have been past me before I reacted to your wave. Would have been funny as hell if you had pulled me over. Connie would have been thinking I was finally getting that speeding ticket she's been waiting for me to get....

Yeah, the plug wires seem pretty solid. Car seems somewhat crisper in throttle response and pulls stronger even in the tall gears. Turned on the radio for a short spell and there was absolutely NO interference that I could detect.

I'll have to pop the hood tomorrow to see if any of the boots on the coils are coming loose. That #1 just didn't click in like the others.....

I finally broke down (not literally...) and bought a 160 degree thermostat when I got the ignition stuff. I'm thinking maybe I should just go ahead and get the radiator flushed out internally and new hoses put on as well. When I was down at AntiVenom's last time, Greg blew out a lot of gunk out of my radiator cooling fins and it runs a lot cooler now. But you can tell that the stock thermostat is keeping the temps up around 195 degrees even with plenty of airflow.