The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > General Florida Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Florida Discussions Anything related to Florida in general. From "natives" talking about things they know about, to visitors asking about details to make their visit more pleasant.

Unread 11-30-2021, 12:08 PM   #31
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Overnight low was 30.7 degrees last night. Forecast low of around 37 tonight and then a warming trend.
Unread 12-01-2021, 12:42 PM   #32
Rich Z

Overnight low last night (Tuesday) was 32.4 degrees.

Looks like we will be in for some pleasant temps for maybe the next two weeks.
Unread 12-09-2021, 12:01 AM   #33
Rich Z

It got up to 81 degrees here today (Wednesday). Quite a change from a week or so ago.
Unread 12-23-2021, 05:54 PM   #34
Rich Z

Had a low of 30.9 degrees overnight last night.

Things will be warming up again for the next week or so.
Unread 12-24-2021, 08:00 PM   #35
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Just got back home from 7 weeks on the road. We dodged the worst weather (so far) this year, but we'll be back out in January so I'm sure the snow and ice are waiting for us.

Not terribly cold so far. Some teens but we haven't encountered the single digits yet. We have avoided I-80 like the plague so that's our only saving grace.

Wyoming is brutal this time of year. The weather warnings said to get off 80 before Wednesday this week or you might be spending Christmas there!

Merry Christmas to all!
Unread 12-25-2021, 12:10 AM   #36
Rich Z

Merry Christmas to you, too!

I sure don't envy you driving up north in the Winter months. I am sure the scenery covered in snow is beautiful, but I'll settle for just seeing it in pictures.

Drive safe in your travels.

Oh yeah, it got down to 34.5 degrees last night (Thursday). We left the pineapple plants covered all day on Thursday because we drove over to Destin so Connie could visit with her sister. It was too cold in the morning when we left to uncover them, so what the heck. I am sure they didn't mind the tarps being on them all day long. And when we got back, it was starting to already feel cold again. Of course, with this Florida blood we now have, mid 50s feels like well below freezing to us.
Unread 12-25-2021, 11:47 AM   #37
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

We bought this house (mansion) in Georgia last January and the yard is full of pecan trees, peach trees and pears along with a Satsuma, Lemon and a Kumquat.

After we went on the road after the closing apparently the temps got cold enough to kill the graft in the Satsuma and this year the fruit is un-edible. And they were SO GOOD last year! And this was a large well established tree too, probably 30-40 years old.

It stands about 12-15 feet tall so covering it would not have been an easy task had we been home to do so. I really wonder how it lasted as long as it did. It has gotten quite cold in SW Georgia in the past few decades.
Unread 12-25-2021, 12:03 PM   #38
Rich Z

Hmm, satsumas are actually quite cold hardy. We haven't covered any of our citrus for a few years now and they are doing fine. Even in the earlier days we never covered the satsumas and they didn't even get any leaf burn in some pretty cold nights. How cold does it normally get there on the coldest nights?

Yeah a 15 ft. tall tree would be a struggle to cover properly. You would also need a frost cloth between the tree and the tarp, so it could be hard to do. And it would get old if you have quite a few nights you would need to do that. And with you guys traveling so much, certainly you wouldn't be able to keep up with it.

Sounds like you are just eating fruits from the graft now. Perhaps it has some branches that grew from the root stock that are the ones that survived? They are pretty nasty. They smell really sweet, but one bite will be your last.

But I guess your peach trees will like the chill hours and do well for you. Hope you don't have a lot of varmints there, because they will really tear into the ripe peaches.
Unread 01-02-2022, 12:54 PM   #39
Rich Z

We reached a high of 81.9 degrees already today. Then for tomorrow the high is predicted to only reach 54 degrees.

Damn, I was getting used to this early Spring weather we have been having here lately. I am even wearing shorts and sleeveless T-shirts.
Unread 01-03-2022, 01:47 PM   #40
Rich Z

Yesterday (Sunday) the high temp was 81.4 degrees. Today it is not going to make it to 50 degrees. Temp got up to 49.6 degrees and is dropping. We will have to cover Connie's pineapple plants tonight as they are calling for possible frost with a low around 34 degrees. Hope the wind dies down, otherwise going to be tough keeping those tarps in place over the plants.

Temp just dropped to 48.6 degrees since I started typing this.