• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

C6 Check Engine Light

Lou G

Three weeks ago I was on the road and saw the "Check Engine Light" on and a message on the dic "Check Gas Cap". I stopped, opened the gas cap, reset the message and went on but the check engine light stayed on.

Took the car to a Chevy dealer and was told that in fact it was the gas cap. Charged me $70 or so dollars and I was on my way.

Yesterday, the check engine light came on again, but no dic message.
I made an appoinment to bring the car in on Wednesday to see what's going on. By coincidence, both times, I have been low on fuel. I wonder if something more than the gas cap is creating a problem.

Anyone had this problem or heard anything about it?

Lou

If memory serves me correct which I hope its working, if your low on fuel and its hot the tank/s will pressurize and push on the gas cap causing the light to come on. Someone mentioned to me the fuel keeps the pumps cool which when creating less heat, less pressure.

I dont see why the dealer charged you 70 bucks, my mom had the same problem on her 04 Impala couple months ago, with no extended warranty, they replaced it for free.

What he said.

70bucks:ack2:

Yeah! That was for labor, checking the engine light code and a new gas cap.
I am out of the 3yr. warrantee but have the GM extended warrantee with a $100 deductible unless the charge is less than $100.
Going to the dealer tomorrow. Will let you what they say or do.

You didn't happen to see what code came up did you?

Just got back from the dealer. Today it was a 40 or 440. Supposed to be a bad vent solenoid. They don't have it in stock so I have to go back next week to get replaced. The previous code was a 39 or 439. I overheard them talking but not sure of the number.
I'll find out when I go back next week.
Thanks.
Lou

Well if it turns out to be a bad solenoid Id be asking for your 70 dollars back for the supposed "bad" gas cap. I love places that charge you for the off the top of head problem, then its something else which theyll want to charge you for as well. If they dont, Id be calling the customer service line.

Lou, I confess to having a self interest in your problem, or should I say our mutual problem. I am getting the check engine light that my mechanic cleared and said if it comes on again, he will look more but the code was for a solenoid in the evaporative emissions system. He likes to wait on minor stuff before chargin in, that's why he has been my mechanic for over 20 years. Anyway, I also had the DIC check gas cap warning a few weeks before and it cleared when I adjusted the gas cap. The funny thing is that the check engine light has never come on when I am driving, only when technicians are driving - happened twice and both times some one else was driving. I Googled evaporative emissions check engine and found the problem is GM wide and also on some imports - the thing about our Vettes is some of the system is buried deep within the body. I think the canister (someone please chime in and help) is located on the rear starboard (passenger) side and that may be where the solenoid is. I also came across several instances of the plug to the solenoid being the problem so make sure it is not the plug. There is some procedure where they blow "smoke" in the evap emis system to see if there is a vacuum leak, the dealership was quick to suggest that. I called them because there was a statement that GM had an extended warranty on emissions systems that went to 80,000 miles and they do but it only covers the cat converter, SOL again.:banghead:

So, I am hoping it is the solenoid that can be easily reached, or plug, and that cures the problem, otherwise to find a leak in the system, I think you will will have to pull the left rear wheel and take out the liner to get to the hoses that connect to the gas fill.

Sorry for the long winded rant, Please let me know what happens and I will do the same

Will
:wavey:

Thanks Wilzer. Got a call this morning that the part is in. Going tomorrow to have it replaced. Will make sure to mention to check the plug to the solenoid.
Will get back here and let you know what took place.

Well, it is fixed (or so they tell me) solenoid replaced.

When I dropped the car off, I asked if I would get credit for the gas cap they replaced three weeks ago and the service manager said that he would look at it.

I paid $70 three weeks ago and today's bill was for $103. Giving me credit I would have been happy to pay $30 (I have $100 deductible extended warranty) but the service manager wished me a good afternoon and said he would take care of the difference.

I could not ask for more. Well, maybe that the check engine light doesn't come back on for the same problem.

By the way, the codes were P0440 the first time and P0449 the second time.

Lou

Well, it is fixed (or so they tell me) solenoid replaced.

By the way, the codes were P0440 the first time and P0449 the second time.Lou
Glad to see you were successful this time and hopefully it will stay off. Checked mine today and it is P0449 so I take it in next week to Tony to fix. Really appreciate your feedback - Thank You
:wavey:

By the way, I looked at the bill and the part cost was $23 and change.
$75 for labor plus tax. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Lou,

Thanks for all your help. Took it into Tony (my longtime mechanic) last week and he pulled the solenoid off and being Tony, had to make sure it was bad - he won't just replace parts untill he finds the problem. Well the solenoid showed an open circuit on VOM and he connected an external 12V power and nothing happened so solenoid is dead. Then there were none of these solenoids around, reconnected the hoses leaving out the solenoid while we got the part. July 4th interveened and today I took it in and finished the job. Light is off, let's hope it stays off.

Also had the differential fluid changed while he had it up since the rear end was making an ungodly chatter. This has to be one of the most remarkable fixes there is. Went from constant grinding to total quite - hope it stays that way. I did the mandatory 10 turns left & right in a parking lot immediately to distribute the new grease (maybe I did 12 for good measure) No chatter!

Again, your info was the key to making it simple - Many thanks
Let me know if I can return the favor

Will

My pleasure. All is well that ends well.
My check engine light has stayed off. Like you, I hope it stays that way.
Lou

Check engine light still off - thanks to everyone:wavey:

Great Will. mine has remained off also.

Now I am having a problem with my left rear tire. It looses about a pound of pressure per week. I was thinking of going to a Goodyear shop to have it looked at but I am worried about them scratching the wheel.
I am going to keep an eye on it and hang on until, or if, it gets worse.

Back