The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 01-07-2007, 07:31 PM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default The FIRST oil change on a new vette..

Well, I've looked in the manual and can't find anything about this.... Seems to me many moons ago the procedure on a new car was to change the oil after about 1K miles or less after initial break-in. The logic is that with the motor breaking in, there is much more likelihood of particulates being suspended in the oil as the bearing surfaces all get broken in under use and that metal being removed during breakin gets floated into the oil and filter.

Matter of fact, now that I am thinking of it, I thought I read back then that the manufacturers recommended that you NOT use synthetic lubricants until after the motor had broken in properly. Now that the vette comes standard with synthetics, have the goal posts changed? Certainly if the manual tells me to keep the speed under 55 mph for the first 500 miles, there certainly must be SOME sort of break-in wearing of the lubricated bearing surfaces.

So I'm thinking maybe I should change the oil right after that 500 mile goal post as well. Certainly can't hurt anything, but I'm surprised the manual doesn't say anything about this. Or maybe it does and I just overlooked it? Or doesn't that apply any longer in modern engines?
Unread 01-07-2007, 09:16 PM   #2
Gannet

Name :
Gannet is on a distinguished road

Your reasoning is exactly correct. I would change the oil immediately, change it again at 500, and again at 1000. Then go by the oil life monitor from there out.

The engine is full of assembly trash, plus whatever high spots have been worn off initially. The oil is now an abrasive slurry, to some extent. Change it.

Synthetic/non-synthetic? The only reason to specify non-synthetic for initial break-in in Ye Olden Dayes was to help the rings seat. You're already past that stage, plus C5/6 rings are designed to seat with synthetics. In all other respects, synthetics are superior, especially with new engines.. If it were mine I'd just stick with Mobil 1.
BC3/Quicktime/DSS/Pfadt/Carbotech/Quantum/Muffler Mod/PS2 ZPs, Atomic Orange, Dark Titanium 3LZ, Q8A.
Gannet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2007, 09:24 PM   #3
Mark Dalton

Name : Mark Dalton
Mark Dalton has disabled reputation

I changed my oil, for the 1st time, the day after I drove it home from the dealer. It just seemed like the logical thing to do, synthetic or not.
Mark Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2007, 09:38 PM   #4
Rich Z

Yeah, I think I'll do that. It's got around 155 miles on it right now, and we're not going to be taking it out again until maybe Tuesday, so I'll see about getting the oil and filter changed then.
Unread 01-11-2007, 08:54 PM   #5
Rich Z

Went to the local dealership today and got the oil and filter changed in Connie's C6. I thought for sure someone would question me about changing the oil with so few miles on the odometer. Guess they figure it's money in their pocket, so why question it.

Interesting thing happened, though. When they had it up on the rack, the oil change tech noticed that the front tires were on BACKWARDS! The tread was facing the wrong way. The assistant service manager I was talking with said it was probably lucky I didn't get caught in a heavy rainstorm with it like that because those front tires could have caused me some problems with hydroplaning as it forced the water on the road towards the center of the tire instead of out towards the edges. Luckily they just had to switch sides and it wasn't the matter of being a WRONG tire completely on one of the sides. Sheesh....... Probably an error right at the factory? I doubt the dealer I bought it from had any reason to take off the wheels before selling it. It only had 4 miles on the odometer when it came off the truck here.

After that, I think I may have the alignment looked at next time I have it at the dealers place. It has a very slight pull to the right while driving on a level road. I guess if the tires could be wrong, anything would have to be suspect if something doesn't seem quite right....