• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

Transmission Flush or Drain ?

Mac98vette

I took my 98 to a dealer to have my transmission serviced (50 K). He said it was better to have the transmission flushed instead of draining it and filling it with new fluid. I have never heard of this. Whats your opinion of this?:nonod:

Hello,I know with my other cars in the past,they had Flushed my tranny fluid and they hook a pump of some sort and suck the all the fluid out,when you drain it out not all of it comes out,just some it,In your case and milage I would get it Flushed out.The tranny is being filled with all New fluid and not mixed with old fluid.By the way if you don't mind if I ask,What does that run now a days?$

I agree with the flush...

To just drain the fluid isn't going to clean out the system. Flushing it will cleanse the system with clean fluid washing out what's left in the lines. Just draining the fluid, could leave any contaminates (shavings) in the lines etc. Adding new fluid w/out flushing, will mix what's left of the Old with the new contaminating it, and IMO could lead to issues sooner or later.

~Ray

call fernando at transmission physicians. the is an extremely reputable transmission shops that mainly does f-bodies & corvettes. he did my firebird formula. did a really good job with it. and hes a cool guy

I had my transmission flushed out at Crest Chevrolet in Jacksonville. There is a young guy who works there who has owned several Vettes and he's the one who recommended it. The cost was $120 to have it flushed out or it would have been $150 to have it drained. Thank you'll for your input.:dancer01:

Not knowing the history of the vette when I bought it, i elected to have the fluid flushed. The biggest advantage of flushing is that it also replaces the fluid in the torque converter. :thumbsup:

ynkedad said:
To just drain the fluid isn't going to clean out the system. Flushing it will cleanse the system with clean fluid washing out what's left in the lines. Just draining the fluid, could leave any contaminates (shavings) in the lines etc. Adding new fluid w/out flushing, will mix what's left of the Old with the new contaminating it, and IMO could lead to issues sooner or later.

~Ray
Seconded.........flushing is the ONLY:thumbsup: way to go!
Andy (w-a-a-a-a-a-y up here in cold:thumbsdown: , snowy:thumbsdown: , yucky:thumbsdown: Massachusetts where the snow is ONLY ok till it gets dirty then it S-U-X !!!)
:wavey:

Back