• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

Tell me not true

Wouldn't surprise me a bit:rolleyes:

If you're driving an econobox, then 55-65 is usually the "sweet spot" for ultimate fuel economy.

The vettes and other performance vehicles seem to do better at slightly higher speeds from what I can determine. Of course we're talking cruise speed not 1/4 mile:rofl1:

Where did you hear this about the 55 mph limit?

I belive it was on CNN last week and then I heard it on talk radio MPB yesterday.I like to hear it from more than one source before I start to believe it.:D As you know everthing you read ,see,or if it's on the internet it has to be true.

I would think that with the overdrive transmissions of today, which is in all light vehicles, it would not be beneficial to drive at 55 mph. Back in 1973 (correct me if I'm wrong on the year) there were no overdrive automatic transmissions and many cars were using 3:73 rearend gearing and lower.

I read an article this morning in the Ft. Myers News-Press about this. I think it was just Senator Warner from Va., that is questioning whether it makes sense to go to a national speed limit of 55 MPH. It did not appear from the article that there was a move in the Senate, just this one Senator raising the question. But, with everyone so focused on the current oil situation, it would not surprise me that this issue gets more momentum.

I agree with 85V that the times and automotive technology are different today than they were in the early seventies, but I am not sure whether this would be lost on the people that currently reside in the House and Senate. JMO.

Rich

So what would be the purpose of lowering the max speed limit? To save gasoline? Which would be to save people money? Well hey there congress critters, how about rescinding all those BLASTED taxes you all have levied on every gallon of gasoline we use. Do 'ya think that might help us poor slobs?

Instead of lowing the speed limit, which will only realistically get more people having to pay for speeding fines (which means spending MORE money), and further inconveniencing us all by making our trips take longer than they should take, do something REALLY beneficial and tighten your own belts for a change instead of asking us to do that all of the time. We can't just go running to the printing presses when WE run out of money like you guys can do...... :rolleyes:

IMHO, of course.....

They talk about money problems, just think of what it would cost to replace several million speed limit street signs, make them, install them,,,, BILLIONS

They talk about money problems, just think of what it would cost to replace several million speed limit street signs, make them, install them,,,, BILLIONS

The first couple of weeks enforcing the new lower speed limit will pay for that EASILY with the revenue generated...... :rolleyes: Couple of automated ticketing cameras alongside the interstates would do it easily.

I don't mean to sound trite here but does it really matter? I'm driving the way I want as fast or cautious as I want and just trying not to get caught living la vida loca. Seems we can spit and sputter all day about what congress will or won't do but as a performance sports car owner I'm going to be enjoying my throttle and trying to find my sweet spot on what is one of the last vestiges of legal or illegal enjoyment left to me.

I guess I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

While that is certainly true, there could be a substantial difference in the penalties between doing 100 mph in a 70 and doing 100mph in a 55.

It's just a goofy statistic to play with when they talk about lowering the speed limit to save gasoline or save lives, or whatever. How many lives or gallons of gasoline would be saved if no one could drive at all? :shrug01:

I CAN'T DRIVE 55:peelout 1:

Me either. I'd be quite a hypocrite if I said I could. I think I spend as much time thinking in terms of not being caught as I do enjoying the feel of the need for speed on my bike or the Vette. I don't mean to disrespect the law enforcement folks here on the forum but I find I like what I like.:ack2:

Me either. I'd be quite a hypocrite if I said I could. I think I spend as much time thinking in terms of not being caught as I do enjoying the feel of the need for speed on my bike or the Vette. I don't mean to disrespect the law enforcement folks here on the forum but I find I like what I like.:ack2:
Well said.:thumbsup:

I would hope that the public, SEMA and some others would get involved in the debate this time and set these knuckleheads straight!

Once the facts are made evident, that the move will not save fuel, and since the statistical data relative to saving lives turned out to be BS, I'd think they'd have no chioce but to turn down the suggestion or face serious consequences at the polls from thier constituents.

At least I hope....

I've tried this experiment over the last few days and it's all B.S. Between 55-75 the inst. mpg did not really change at all.

On the upside of the interstate it would go down significantly to anywhere between 22-18mpg. On the downside it would go up anywhere from 32-38mpg. On the straight away it would stay roughly around 26-28mpg. Again, this was done at 55mpg, 60mpg, 65mpg, 70mpg, 75mpg. Nothing changed between all speeds. Like 85vette said, with todays trannies it's not really that beneficial.

Rich is right. You want to save money? How about repealing the sixty plus cents a gallon that we pay now. That would surely save money!:thumbsup:
It's all just a ploy to make more money handing out tickets.:thumbsdown:

I guess I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Lloyd Bridges, "Airplane".

I heard today that Sen. Dirkin, wants to spend 17 Million(?) on a Congressional Inquery to the "benefits" of "reducing" the national speed limit. We need to contact our elected officials and voice our opinion on this matter.

The problem with todays gas prices is not the because the American motorist is wasting millions of gallons of fuel by driving at a comfortable speed on the highway, more so by the sitting in traffic at "0" mpg.

Do not allow politicians to focus and penalize us taxpayers for a failed plan to secure and provide a stable economic commodity. It has been over 30 years since the last commercial refinery was built, mostly due to government subsidies, but the environmental goofies have a hand in this as well.

Today there are millions of acres of land held by the Oil Companies. If they didn't think there was money to be made then why hold the land leases.

We need to rethink America. While the oil and gas was cheap coming from poverty stricken third world countries, those countries are still poverty stricken, but they certianly are not third world. They control the economies of nearly all the governments today.

We need a plan to make the U.S. independent of foriegn commodities. Energy, Food, Clothing, all of these are imported far beyond anything we produce here.

"Made in America" used to mean something.

In one generation, from my father to me, we have degraded from the worlds largest exporter to the worlds largest importer, from power to pleading.

We would not need a multi-trillion national health care plan of we put people back to work, if we started producing instead of importing.

Oh Crap, this was about speed limits...

Don't get me started.

You do have to wonder if giving China the Panama Canal was a necessity to keep them from calling their debt due........... :rolleyes:

It's bad enough seeing all the merchandize in this country labeled as "Made in China". But it's going to be even sadder when the USA in total will bear the label "Owned by China".

Back