• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

Help with bushing????

kip younger

I'm currently in the process of replacing the crossmember bushings, and the trailing arm bushings. However, now with the crossmember pried lose, and the old bushing clearly visible, they look fine. They are not collasped, crushed, split or dry rotted - actully after a closer look, it appears they have been changed before, in that the tabs seem to be bent over but not welded. They look as good as the ones I've ordered to put in. In checking the trailing arm bushings, the one on the driver's side is new (shining and clean) and the one on the passenger side is obviously very old. I had some read end work done earlier and appearently he only changed one of these bushings.

So, the issue is that the rear of the car swishes badly when accelorating or slowing, if its not the crossmember bushings, could one bad trailing arm bushing do this?????

Someone had mentioned to check the diff yokes. There are new universal joints on both ends of both half shafts; if these are what would have to be bad, to allow the car to swish, they appear fine, and I cannot feel any movement in them.

Before I go any further with removing the crossmember from the car (it's not been a great time getting this far) I sure would like to know what else could allow the car to move in the rear. Thanks for any ideas as to what to look for. :shrug01::shrug01::shrug01::shrug01: Kip

First I am guessing you have a C3. My experience with my C4 was that the rear end swishing (to use your description) was caused by the inner U joints on the half shaft. I am assumeing that the C3's have u joints on both ends of the half shaft. You might want to recheck all the U joints for looseness.

Another idea check the wheels for play on the hub bearings. I am thinking that since you say it happens under acceleration and deceleration that it is play in something that gets torque loaded.

Back