The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > On The Road in Florida

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

On The Road in Florida Cruising | Scenic Routes | Speed Traps | Cool Places To Visit | Interesting Experiences in Florida

Unread 06-01-2006, 01:57 AM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Where to park?

OK, whenever I take the Z out and have to stop somewhere, I am faced with this dilemma. Where do I park? In my BC days (before Corvette), I used to try to park in the shade of the trees handy on any parking lot, but now my attitude has changed. All trees seem to drop sap. Not only that, but birds LIKE to sit up in trees and seem to delight in aiming for a shiny surface when engaging in certain biological functions. But sitting out in the direct sun for a couple of hours can get the inside of the car darn hot. Yes, I have a sunscreen for the windshield, which does help, but still it can get uncomfortably hot sitting in the afternoon Florida sunshine. But is that better or worse then getting splattered by bird droppings on pine and oak sap dropping from the trees?

I noticed some pics of various Corvette shows and see many people parking under the trees. Does each show have a sniper assigned to whack any birds that come nearby? Or does everyone have detailing spray and a bucket of water at the ready constantly?

Yeah, sometimes I do yearn for those BC days, I guess. I can't believe I now slow down to a crawl when I come to a stretch of road that has water running across it from some sprinkler system nearby. One of these days I'm going to have someone plow into the back of me who won't be paying attention when I hit the brakes suddenly for apparently no reason at all....
Unread 06-01-2006, 02:44 AM   #2
exile

Name :
exile is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Or does everyone have detailing spray and a bucket of water at the ready constantly?
That's the ticket Rich. I go nowhere without "waterless wash" and/or detail spray and MF towels ...............Tom
Unread 06-01-2006, 07:36 AM   #3
Zach

Name :
Zach is on a distinguished road

I don't usually go for the trees. I tend to park where there are at least 3 spaces to the left and right of me open in which I am somewhat far away from the crowd of cars.
Unread 06-01-2006, 07:54 AM   #4
MADN3SS

Name :
MADN3SS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by exile
That's the ticket Rich. I go nowhere without "waterless wash" and/or detail spray and MF towels ...............Tom
Same here. I usually keep my Adams detail spray in the Z.

A lot of times I park where I could possibly have the least amount of cars around me. Usually an end up against the curb. I try to allow for the maximum door swing. Some people don't pay attention and swing their doors all the way out. On a bad note, I parked next to a curb recently and wasn't paying attention and ran over the curb when I pulled out! Ouch! I paid for that mistake to the tune of $400.

'01 QS Corsa Touring exhaust with Tiger Shark tips. LG LT headers with X-Pipe, Hurricane intake w/ CF HF Power Duct, L.E.D. tail lights and shorty antenna. Lowered on stock bolts. Black Motorsports. FRC TOM tuned. NCM member 36741
MADN3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2006, 08:58 AM   #5
c5inparadise

Name :
c5inparadise is on a distinguished road

I park as far away as possible, but not out of sight. My gf doesn't mind because she knows I'd go into a catatonic state, before the inevitable rage outburst, if anything ever happened. Can't help it...
c5inparadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2006, 12:35 PM   #6
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Heck, I'm used to the hike now. My wife always parks about as far away as you can from the place we are going to. So my acting that way too, doesn't bother her at all. Heck, sometimes I can even SEE the place we are going to!

Anyplace we go to that has shopping carts, we also try to pick the high ground so carts won't roll down hill to us. Seriously we were at a Publix once and actually saw some woman just push her cart away from her car when she was done unloading it and it rolled downhill until it finally hit a curb. She couldn't have cared less about what it hit. Sad thing is that I would have been the one to get thrown into jail if my thoughts had turned into reality.....

Actually here in north Florida I'm not worried too much about someone opening their door and glomming my car. In many cases, the pickup trucks are jacked up so high that their door would completely clear over my roof line. I get an excellent view of their universal joints while driving down the road next to them...
Unread 06-01-2006, 06:43 PM   #7
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
Anyplace we go to that has shopping carts, we also try to pick the high ground so carts won't roll down hill to us. Seriously we were at a Publix once and actually saw some woman just push her cart away from her car when she was done unloading it and it rolled downhill until it finally hit a curb. She couldn't have cared less about what it hit. Sad thing is that I would have been the one to get thrown into jail if my thoughts had turned into reality.....
Same here Rich. The woman couldn't have cared less. (And ironically at a Publix as well)
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2006, 04:37 PM   #8
2Vettes

Name :
2Vettes is on a distinguished road

Like most vette drivers I park where I hope most people won't park but not under a tree if I can help it.
Madness....ouch! Wonder where that curb came from, huh??
Unread 06-03-2006, 04:16 PM   #9
pewter99
This place cracks me up

Name :
pewter99 is on a distinguished road

always park out in "Goofy"
pewter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2006, 04:28 PM   #10
SebringBill
Car Parking Attendant

Name :
SebringBill is on a distinguished road

I try to park in an end spot - that way the dofs (dottering old fahrts) can only get me from one side. I never take two spots; that's (IMO) a) inconsiderate and b) asking for a keying.

Years ago, when I had my 58 Corvette I parked in an end spot at least three rows away from any other car at the mall. When I returned some schmuck in a Lincoln had parked not only next to me but actually had two wheels in my spot! There were still no other cars for the same three rows so I had to assume this was intentional. Well, I opened the trunk and retrieved my valve stem remover cap, then leaned down to "tie my shoes" by both left side tires. When I left you couldn't hear the air leaking out (I'd just "loosened" both valves) but I was smilin' big time.

"Sebring"Bill Herron
2 Vettes -- 11 speeds
1957 #3143 (2nd owner - driven like I stole it!)
1997 #0993 (Jim Schefter's original ACAR)
Down the Road: 2000 #1090 (Kerbeck's least favorite Vette)
NCM Lifetime #49 ~ SACC #229 ~ NCRS #4638 ~ C5R #Y4418
SebringBill is offline   Reply With Quote