• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

C5 Cove lights

Kap142

On another forum I saw where a gent had done two mods. that I think would be cool. One was installing LED's in the coves that were connected into the turn signals to that he had mid body side turn signals to go with the factory signals. Has anyone done this? Hoe did it work. Getting to the cove behind the screens I have is no biggie but I'd like to hear form forum members if this has been done.

The second was painting of the windshield wiper pan (or whatever it is properly called) to match my Electron Blue Z06. Any difficulty removing the pan? Has anyone done this to their toy?
:dancer01:

Last edited:
I did the coves on Star's '03. Sorry to say I had them done. I watched the guy do them as he hooked them up to the turn signals/driving lights. They are on when the car is on and work with the turn signals. I have no idea how he hooked them into the front recepticles. But I put led's under the rear to show off the plate between the exhaust pipes. Star's nickname is "LilBrat" and I had a plate made up at the flea market that says "LilBrat" and when the lights are on (hooked up to the license plate lights) it shines down on the plate. I used blue. Cove lights are yellow but I've seen red, green, and blue. Not sure what the law is on side lights....

Pretty cool idea(s)- the cove and rear LED lights. I've seen the rear LEDs but not the cove hook-up. I believe you need a resistor when you hook-up LEDs to directionals to prevent hyperflash.

@ Pres- LED lights in the coves? Any pics available? :thumbsup:

Pretty cool idea(s)- the cove and rear LED lights. I've seen the rear LEDs but not the cove hook-up. I believe you need a resistor when you hook-up LEDs to directionals to prevent hyperflash.

@ Pres- LED lights in the coves? Any pics available? :thumbsup:

I never took any pics, sorry...

OK guys I finally got around to finishing the project. I do love the results. On each cove I used 2 strips of red LED's One strip was 24 LEDs and one was 15 LEDs and they sit side by side adhered to the outside fender wall just in front of the cove.

The LEDs work with my brake lights, turn signals and 4-ways. They display to the rear beautifully and to the side too until you are 90 degrees to the cove itself and they disappear from sight.

My success was with great help from RedRestoredRoadster and from another friend on another forum who was kind enough to even email me his write up on the subject.

I'll try to attach a few short pics of the results. Files would not upload, durn

I think that 1 mod I might like to make is to put a flat square or oblong
"led pack", in white, under each door to light up the ground when the door is
opened. Anybody done this yet, and if so........how did you do it, and what
do you think of the results?

Another one I'm trying to figure out is mounting some low profile, directional
white leds on the inside of the halo for added light at night if you need to look
at a map or anything else for that matter. The floor lights up quite nicely, but
anything above seat level is just plain dark! Anyone been able to do something
like this?????

Andy :wavey:
Expecting MORE snow this weekend :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:
Coming to visit "JetBlu" in late March... :thumbsup::thumbsup: YIPPEE

P.S. Ken.....I bought some blue and some white leds to do the switch panels
on the doors. Gonna do one in blue and one in white then decide which ones
I like better and switch the other ones out. Direct replacement....plug and
play... whatever you want to call it, it should be simple and quick. I'll let
you know how it turns out and how I like them. Andy.....

Than sounds like a cool project. I want to see and hear about it.

In reference to a white blast of light to show the ground Look at what Carl (RedRestoredRoadster) has done. They're ground illumination in the Chevy logo. Very nice.

I always knew that LEDs are "faster" at illuminating than incandescent lamps, but until I watched those video's I never realized how much faster an LED Illuminated than an incandescent bulb.

A lot of times you can see that on the back end of the car in front of you if
they have regular lights for the brake lights and LEDs for the third brake light.
Used to watch Tom Adams' (MMC5) lights on the back of his 2000 do that
all the time!
Andy :wavey:

Back