• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

Surf will be up on the east coast Sunday..

Rich Z

Internet Sanitation Engineer
Staff member
Anyone catch this news brief? -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5378

8 to 10 foot waves on the east coast of Florida on Sunday. Any ideas on what is causing that? I don't see anything tropical out there.

Might be some nasty undertow situations, though.

High winds are expected this weekend and warnings are already out about possible flooding on the east coast of Central Florida.

The weather will be beautiful at the beach for Friday and Saturday, but beach patrol officers are warning that conditions could change dramatically for Sunday.

Forecasters are expecting high winds and massive waves anywhere from 8 to 10 feet high. The National Weather Service has issued a Coastal Flood Warning for Volusia, Brevard and Flagler counties that will last from late Saturday night through Monday evening.

The high waves could mean more beach erosion is on the way. One area that is particularly susceptible to damage is New Smyrna Beach. There is also a history of beach erosion in Daytona Beach near the boadwalk. The beach patrol will be closely watching those areas.

The beach patrol said it would also be taking some proactive measures to get ready for the high winds and waves.

They will be removing signs and conservation posts from the beach to prevent them from washing out to the ocean or flying away.

Beach patrol said they have concerns for next weekend. They said the high wave action this weekend might change the makeup of the sand underneath the water and could create dangerous rip currents for the following week.

IDK? Maybe this has something to do with it?
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/srh/tropicalwx/tropical.php

Those look too far away to be having this effect here. Just strikes me as odd. 8 to 10 foot swells seem like pretty substantial waves for this part of the Atlantic without a big storm whipping them up. Guess the surfers will have a chance to do some surfing in Florida.... :shrug01:

Connie was reading somewhere that red tide was being a problem in the Fernandina Beach area. Figures, we were talking about taking a drive out there pretty soon.... It's not that big of a deal, but the smell of dead and rotting fish everywhere sure ruins the atmosphere...

Those look too far away to be having this effect here. Just strikes me as odd. 8 to 10 foot swells seem like pretty substantial waves for this part of the Atlantic without a big storm whipping them up. Guess the surfers will have a chance to do some surfing in Florida.... :shrug01:

Connie was reading somewhere that red tide was being a problem in the Fernandina Beach area. Figures, we were talking about taking a drive out there pretty soon.... It's not that big of a deal, but the smell of dead and rotting fish everywhere sure ruins the atmosphere...

Thats what I thought also, but it was the only system i could find that was pushing any type of front into the area.

Be interesting to see whats behind it?

vettt Boy, that "brown water" is due to the sediment being kicked up by the severe riptides.

Don't want to be anywhere near that stuff:(

vettt Boy, that "brown water" is due to the sediment being kicked up by the severe riptides.

Don't want to be anywhere near that stuff:(

Yeah... They tell you that you should swim parallel to the shoreline to try to get out of the riptide. But in VERY heavy surf, there is a chance that the riptide can extend for quite a long distance. All the while you are being pulled out farther into the sea. Not a good thing to get caught up in. Even the best swimmers can drown sometimes.

Yeah... They tell you that you should swim parallel to the shoreline to try to get out of the riptide. But in VERY heavy surf, there is a chance that the riptide can extend for quite a long distance. All the while you are being pulled out farther into the sea. Not a good thing to get caught up in. Even the best swimmers can drown sometimes.

Dad taught me that when I was a kid, and it works. The hardest part is trying to stay calm while being pulled out.

The good thing is, they ride generally doesn't take you out that far. A
few 100 yeards at best for the most part:thumbsup:

Back