• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

Ran this over this morning...

MADN3SS

While driving home from work yesterday, I decided that today I would take a different route home because of road paving. I hate all the gravel that kicks up! Anyway, wouldn't you know it. I ran this over. Pulled over to the side and the air was coming out pretty good. I pulled this piece of metal out and it stopped. I had some tire slime plus my air compressor, but I decided to take my chances. Had no problem all the way to the tire shop. I'm guessing I should replace the tire? Don't know if the patch will hold. I'll probably leave it on until after the Ultimate Corvette Party, then switch back to my stock wheels and tires.

DSC02190.JPG

If it was stuck in the tread area, the tire shops have a high speed patch that really works. Had two tires with them on and held up for a couple years. It's a combination of an inside patch and a stalk that goes thru the hole to the tread area.

Went out to take a picture of the tread and I didn't realize I got a picture of the gash.
Upper left corner.

DSC02196.JPG

I don't know if its repairable, but if it needs replaced, always replace in pairs, left and right.

MADN3SS said:
Went out to take a picture of the tread and I didn't realize I got a picture of the gash.
Upper left corner.

DSC02196.JPG
That tire is lookin pretty weak i would replace L & R tires:yesnod:

9T8Vette said:
That tire is lookin pretty weak i would replace L & R tires:yesnod:

Weak? Doesnt look like it's met the wear bars to me..... If you replace them then smoke 'em on the way to the tire shop!:dancer01:

hell yes!!!

Z06 Rocket said:
Weak? Doesnt look like it's met the wear bars to me..... If you replace them then smoke 'em on the way to the tire shop!:dancer01:
Now there's a good idea:thumbsup:

Z06 Rocket said:
Zo6 Rocket with that cut in the tire he better have a Flatbed follow:eek:

9T8Vette said:
Zo6 Rocket with that cut in the tire he better have a Flatbed follow:eek:

Oh I don't know. Maybe a burnout would cauterize the cut... :rolleyes:

Sorry guys, there is more tread to these tires than it looks in a picture. What's the easiest way to measure it? I wonder if I can find out how deep the tread is when they are brand new. I'll have to call the Tire Rack.

I'll tell you one thing. If I burn them up, I'm gettin' video!!! :thumbsup:

MADN3SS said:
Sorry guys, there is more tread to these tires than it looks in a picture. What's the easiest way to measure it? I wonder if I can find out how deep the tread is when they are brand new. I'll have to call the Tire Rack.
We'll be waiting :thumbsup:

MADN3SS said:

Madness, I believe the standard way to measure tread depth on tires is to use a tire tread depth gauge, which, when placed on top of the tread of the tire, will measure the depth of the tread left in 32nds. i.e., 7/32's, or 4/32's and the legal limit for use on the road is 2/32's-unless this has changed in the past 2 or 3 years since i last used to do this line of work-Auto Appraiser for Insurance companies or body shops, until I went full time in the Army in 2003 from the Reserve.
Hey, I'm also going to the Ultimate Corvette Party-will you be going over on Friday nite and staying at the hotel? Me and a few club members from my club will be doing just that. Let me know.
Sal:dancer01:

MODVETTE05 said:
Madness, I believe the standard way to measure tread depth on tires is to use a tire tread depth gauge, which, when placed on top of the tread of the tire, will measure the depth of the tread left in 32nds. i.e., 7/32's, or 4/32's and the legal limit for use on the road is 2/32's-unless this has changed in the past 2 or 3 years since i last used to do this line of work-Auto Appraiser for Insurance companies or body shops, until I went full time in the Army in 2003 from the Reserve.
Hey, I'm also going to the Ultimate Corvette Party-will you be going over on Friday nite and staying at the hotel? Me and a few club members from my club will be doing just that. Let me know.
Sal:dancer01:

No, I won't be going over early. I'll be at work Friday night and Saturday night. So I won't be able to stay all day either. I have to get some sleep sometime.

Dontcha hate it when that happens? I picked up a friggin' fender bolt in the RF tire 3 weeks after taking delivery of the Ghost Machine. Looked to be a 10mm head, with washer attached... sheesh... probably fell off of a Ford!:D

Back