• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

Medicare Bonus

Bob Heine

Next month I qualify for Medicare so I'm going to have some extra money to spent on my therapy. I have both short-term and long-term therapy programs.

My short-term therapy program is a 1987 Convertible that I purchased used in late '91. It had the Red/Gold paint job, ground effects, wood dash and aftermarket sound system when I bought it. It also had pretty tired seat covers and carpet and a top that had been dyed tan and the dye job was showing its white roots. Installed new seat covers and carpet and did my first convertible top replacement back in '94. When the compressor ate itself alive in 2005, I replaced the entire system (shop would have been happy to just put a compressor in for $2K but for half that I replaced everything and just had them re-charge the R-12. In 2008 I installed a new sound system, bought new side and front ground effect pieces, and had the car re-painted. It puffs a little smoke on startup even though it doesn't use any oil so I'm going to put new valve stem seals in. While I'm at it, I'll throw in a set of roller rockers and some aluminum valve covers.

My long-term therapy program is a 1972 Big Block Coupe that I purchased used in 1978. Spun a main bearing on the way home from an autocross in '82 so a friend blueprinted the engine in his shop, with me doing the grunt work. After the engine and a new TCI transmission went in, the paint didn't look so good. After stripping the paint, had the brilliant idea to make some minor modifications. My wife thought my long-term therapy might be too stressful so after a two-year job assignment in Australia, she told me to go for the short-term therapy.

From the late '70s through the early '90s I belonged to the South Florida Corvette Association and had a great time. When the club disbanded in the mid-90s I stopped going to events. I retired at about the same time but had to be pretty cautious spending money on my therapy. Now that Social Security and Medicare are taking the pressure off, I'm back in "treat"-ment.

I might even slip out of the garage and go to an event near home.

Welcome aboard!

Yeah, I'm planning on retiring later this year, so looking for some projects of my own to keep boredom at bay....

Bob, welcome to the forum and to the medicare club.
Been retired seven years and one on medicare.
My corvette has been a stress free treatment for years. Enjoy!! :dancer01:
Lou

Back