• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

Clogged Converter

Richard Vyse

I think my catalytic converter may be clogged and this is why. The exhaust is limited and spotting when exiting the exhaust pipes with no real force behind it. The car runs a bit hotter (210 plus range) than I think it should even though it has a 160 thermostat. It has a new radiator, new hoses, and a new water pump with good antifreeze flow. My gas mileage is horrible and it runs funny until I get the RPM's are up a bit.
It still had the original converter on it and all my research indicates this may be the issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtAbu_IqoHs

I think my catalytic converter may be clogged and this is why. The exhaust is limited and spotting when exiting the exhaust pipes with no real force behind it. The car runs a bit hotter (210 plus range) than I think it should even though it has a 160 thermostat. It has a new radiator, new hoses, and a new water pump with good antifreeze flow. My gas mileage is horrible and it runs funny until I get the RPM's are up a bit.
It still had the original converter on it and all my research indicates this may be the issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtAbu_IqoHs
Rich, there are vendors that sell "test pipes" for that very issue. Unbolt the cat, bolt in the "test pipe" and see if there is any difference. If there is, replace the cat, or leave the test pipe in. Leaving it in is not advised as it is illegal and could land you in hot water. Check Ecklers, Mid America, and some of the others.......
Andy :wavey:

Rich, there are vendors that sell "test pipes" for that very issue. Unbolt the cat, bolt in the "test pipe" and see if there is any difference. If there is, replace the cat, or leave the test pipe in. Leaving it in is not advised as it is illegal and could land you in hot water. Check Ecklers, Mid America, and some of the others.......

Exactly, However your Air fuel ratios are going to change so I would Dyno tune it or at least have it tuned after putting on the test pipe.

Just get rid of the cats. Florida doesn't have any inspections so that won't be a problem. I have a C5 2001 that I removed the cats in 2003 when i put on headers. No problems at all. You will notice a louder exhaust when driving.

i gutted cats when installed headers. the install was a huge pain in the arse. slp shorties are not an easy install in the c5. by the time i got to that part i just put in the x pipe and didnt bother with cutting out the cats and welding in straight pipes. in hind site, i wish i had taken the time to put in straight pipes (test pipe). i told myself id go back later and do it right. you know how that goes.

Well I "Cut the cat" yesterday and installed a fill in pipe. The exhaust flow improve tremendoulsy and it runs so much better. As I picked up the convertor and stood it up on end, all these white flakes came out. It may not have been totally clogged but it certainly did not allow the exhaust to flow properly. After all, it's been in there for 34 years.
Next step is to have it tuned.

Thanks ya'll!

Well I "Cut the cat" yesterday and installed a fill in pipe. The exhaust flow improve tremendoulsy and it runs so much better. As I picked up the convertor and stood it up on end, all these white flakes came out. It may not have been totally clogged but it certainly did not allow the exhaust to flow properly. After all, it's been in there for 34 years.
Next step is to have it tuned.

Thanks ya'll!
SWEET!!!! :thumbsup:
It's really a blast when they're running GREAT!:yesnod:

Back