• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

Need advice on buying a 1977 Corvette

haZZmaTTaZZ

New to this board, hope this is the right forum for this.

I have the opportunity to purchase a 1977 C3 from an individual. He says that the engine was rebuilt about 1k miles ago although the engine compartment is quite dirty, imo, for a fairly new rebuild. "Performance enhancements" include intake, cam & carb. Supposed to be original engine, L-48 according to the VIN, but haven't checked numbers yet.

The doors and hood alignment are off and noticeable rust in the door frame. The car has been repainted and is flaking with some orange peel in the rear. Speedometer cable was disconnected for some work and just never put back. Minor leak on rear of tranny pan, oil sender and alarm non-functional. There is no belt for the a/c. The brakes were replaced recently but pull when braking. Says it needs bled which he will take care of before someone buys the car. Car registration is out of state.

All in all, it would make a good project car. Asking price is $8200, thinking of offering $7000. Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks!

Ask to see receipts for everything he says was done to the car, especially the engine rebuild. Believe only what you can see with your own two eyes. Expect you are being lied to unless proven otherwise.

Sorry if I sound negative, but "telling the truth" seems to be a rare event with many people these days.

Ask to see receipts for everything he says was done to the car, especially the engine rebuild. Believe only what you can see with your own two eyes. Expect you are being lied to unless proven otherwise.

Sorry if I sound negative, but "telling the truth" seems to be a rare event with many people these days.

And I understand about being negative. Or at least cautious. The disconnected speedo cable was the first flag to go up.

But no, he probably won't have receipts. The owner before him did the rebuild. He has a garage with several 'works in progress'. Just in over his head right now with too many.

Go with your gut feeling. Obviously you are asking here because you are uncomfortable with your thoughts about this deal. So I guess it depends on what you consider your restoration experience level might be and how badly you think you might get burned by biting off more than you want to chew.

Offer him what you really think the car would be worth to you and settle for his answer as being your answer.

IMHO.

Yeah, just wanted to get an idea if it might be worth it. The more I think about it and compare, I don't even think it would be worth half of what he's asking.

I hope that perhaps we gave you enough time and incentive to think it through before making an offer. The right one will come along sooner or later. It's never a good idea to be in a rush for something like this.

Good luck on your search.

1976 corvette stingray

Date: 2012-10-22, 9:19PM EDT
Reply to this post zw37t-3358082415@sale.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1976 corvette stingray for sale 3,500.00 call don 850 295 0293
•it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
PostingID: 3358082415

Back