The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 06-14-2007, 01:32 PM   #11
Nytro
Delta House Member

Name :
Nytro is on a distinguished road

I assume we are talking about dielectric grease here.

Dielectric grease does three things: first of all it prevents moisture
from getting onto things, secondly it seals dirt contamination out (which absorbs moisture) and third it provides some lubrication to prevent things from sticking.

GM used dielectric grease in their bulb sockets for years ro keep them from corroding, especially lamps low on the car that get frequently splashed. I know that 426 Hemi owners use it in their spark plug wire tips to prevent them from sticking down in the spark plug tube and to keep mositure out to prevent the wire from shorting. If you look on older cars that had bulkhead connectors for the wiring harness's they were always filled with dielectric grease not to help conduct electricity, but to help keep out moisture and dirt thus combating corrosion. Dielectric grease can be used on just about any electrical connection for the reasons listed above.

www.adamspolishes.com

Authority forgets a dying king
Nytro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2007, 09:05 PM   #12
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :
98 softtail will become famous soon enough98 softtail will become famous soon enough
Default No Grease For You !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
You know, this got me to thinkin....

I thought I read that it is recommended that you put dielectric grease on the threads of the spark plugs when you screw them into the heads. Well since the dielectric grease is actually an insulator, is this wise to do? If the plugs aren't suitable grounded via those threads, won't that affect the spark? The whole purpose of the spark plug is to have a hot spark arc across the hot central electrode of the plug to the side electrode above it, igniting the air/fuel mixture in the cylinder. So if the sparkplug itself is somewhat insulated from the head itself, the spark will not be as vigorous as it could be.

Maybe that dielectric grease isn't enough to make a difference, but I think perhaps a CONDUCTING grease of some sort might be better for that particular application.
Rich,
No you do not put dielectric grease on the threads of the plug, you would apply a small amount of anti-sieze as mentioned. The dielectric grease is for the insulator and the inside of the boots. Dielectric grease is simply Silicone lube.

Joe B.
98 softtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2007, 09:55 PM   #13
"Backyard Mechanic"

Name :
"Backyard Mechanic" has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98 softtail
Rich,
No you do not put dielectric grease on the threads of the plug, you would apply a small amount of anti-sieze as mentioned. The dielectric grease is for the insulator and the inside of the boots. Dielectric grease is simply Silicone lube.

Joe B.
Is KY the same thing
"Backyard Mechanic" is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2007, 10:42 PM   #14
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :
98 softtail will become famous soon enough98 softtail will become famous soon enough
Default Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backyard Mechanic
Is KY the same thing
I have some of both, I will ask Deb and let you know tomorrow...
98 softtail is offline   Reply With Quote