The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > General Corvette Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Corvette Discussions Just general "shootin' the breeze" types of discussions related to Corvettes.

Unread 06-02-2009, 08:42 AM   #11
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. AntiVenom View Post
Not if they tax the hell out of them

I know us little shops will more than likely do even better if they stop making super cars, we will be re-building old ones more.
Good point and one that I've made before. Seems great minds think alike

The bottom line is, people are going to buy and drive what they like, for whatever reason.

I purchased a little jap car because I wanted something easy to get in/out of, could get into for less $$ than an a house, and something that got stupid good mileage.

I kept the gas guzzling LandCrusher because, well, hell, just because! It'll go anywhere...and back (as soon as it's running again).

And I'l looking down the road at possibly a new Grand Sport!

GM finally did something right for the masses

Regardless of all that, if the automakers go under, the used car market will flourish, the shops (tech/paing & body, etc) will thrive as a result, and the aftermarket and parts jobbers will contiune to grow!

How bad is all that?

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2009, 10:04 AM   #12
Ms. AntiVenom
Vicious Evil Person

Name :
Ms. AntiVenom will become famous soon enough

I like my little saturn vue too (just don't tell anyone), I spend 40 bucks a month on gas and can go anywhere on that AWD. That grand sport sure is nice, If i didnt have the little ones Im sure I would get one.

Website
------------------------------------------------------
Ms. AntiVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2009, 10:35 AM   #13
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Hmmm.... Just the other day I heard a rumor that China is making automobiles with the intent to distribute them in the USA. How much pull do you think China has these days with the USA government? Suppose their intent is to clear out the competition here first? Do you think the government would dare oppose that and risk having China call in all the debts that the government has incurred via loans over the years?
I heard that rumor several years ago...this is an old article but I'm sure it's gathering steam anew....

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...hinacars_x.htm
Unread 06-02-2009, 11:08 AM   #14
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

There will always be a market for new cars in the USA. If the current manufacturers go out, then it will create a vacuum that will likely get filled by SOMETHING.

Now the REAL question is whether the actual manufacturing of automobiles within the USA will die and that vacuum will be filled strictly by imports. Which, of course, raises the question of with all the jobs being eliminated by the death of the USA automobile industry, along with all the other industries destroyed by cheap imports and outsourced labor, WHO is going to be left in this country that can AFFORD to buy a new car any longer? In other words, that vacuum might not really be that all that strong as the demand fueled by the financial ability to buy a new car may have evaporated too much.

Kind of interesting to think that the USA may be headed to third world status....

The upside will be that illegal aliens will begin LEAVING the USA to look for work, and with a bankrupted government, the attraction of free welfare will end as well.

Kind of brings to mind that Chinese curse: "May you live in interesting times."
Unread 06-02-2009, 02:20 PM   #15
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Oh,great, Chinese Hummers?!...

DETROIT – General Motors Corp. took a key step toward its downsizing on Tuesday, striking a tentative deal to sell its Hummer brand to a Chinese manufacturer, while also revealing that it has potential buyers for its Saturn and Saab brands.

GM has an agreement to sell its Hummer brand to Sichuan Tengzhong Heavy Industrial Machinery Co. of China, said a person briefed on the deal.

The Detroit automaker announced Tuesday morning that it had a memorandum of understanding to sell the brand of rugged SUVs, but it didn't identify the buyer. A formal announcement of the buyer was to be made Tuesday afternoon, said the person briefed on the deal. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the details have not been made public.

Sichuan Tengzhong deals in road construction, plastics, resins and other industrial products, but Hummer would be its first step into the automotive business.

GM said the sale will likely save more than 3,000 U.S. jobs in manufacturing, engineering and at various Hummer dealerships.

As part of the proposed transaction, Hummer will continue to contract vehicle manufacturing and business services from GM during a transitional period. For example, GM's Shreveport, La., assembly plant would continue to contract to assemble the H3 and H3T through at least 2010, GM said.

The automaker also said Tuesday that it has 16 buyers interested in purchasing its Saturn brand, while three parties are interested in the Swedish Saab brand.

Chief Financial Officer Ray Young told reporters and industry analysts on a conference call that GM is continuing to pursue manufacturing agreements with a new Saturn buyer.

GM would like to sell the money-losing Saturn brand's dealership network, contracting with the new buyer to make some of its cars while the buyer gets other vehicles from different manufacturers.

At the same time, bridge loan discussions with the Swedish government are progressing, Young said.

GM, which filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in New York on Monday, is racing to remake itself as a smaller, leaner automaker. In addition to its plan to sell the Hummer, Saab and Saturn brands, GM will also phase out its Pontiac brand, concentrating on its Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick and GMC nameplates.

The company hopes to follow the lead of fellow U.S. automaker Chrysler LLC by transforming its most profitable assets into a new company in just 30 days and emerging from bankruptcy protection soon after.

But GM is much larger and complex than its Auburn Hills-based rival and isn't up against Chrysler's tight June 15 deadline to close its deal with Fiat Group SpA.

Sharon Lindstrom, managing director at business consulting firm Protiviti, said the companies pose different challenges. But as with Chrysler, she notes that the Treasury Department made sure many of GM's moving parts were in order ahead of time so a quick bankruptcy reorganization might be possible.

"They had a lot of their ducks in a row because the terms of the government financing forced them to get all the parties to the table in a very, very short period of time," Lindstrom said.

Separately, the German government said Tuesday it paid out the first euro300 million ($425 million) in bridge loans to GM's Adam Opel GmbH division. The loans are part of a deal to shrink GM's stake in Opel and shield it from GM's bankruptcy protection filing in the U.S.

Canadian auto supplier Magna International Inc. and Russian-owned Sberbank will acquire 55 percent of Opel.

A sale of the Hummer brand had been expected. Chief Executive Fritz Henderson had said in April that the automaker was expecting final bids from three potential buyers within the month.

Critics had seized on the rugged but fuel-inefficient Hummer as a symbol of excess as GM's financial troubles grew and gas prices rose. Sales at Hummer, which is known for models with military-vehicle roots, have been in a steep slide since gasoline prices rose to record heights last summer. For the first four months of this year, Hummer sales are down 67 percent.

GM nailed down deals with its union and a majority of its bondholders and arranged the Opel deal in order to appear in court Monday with a near-complete plan to quickly emerge with a chance to become profitable.

The government has said it expects GM to come out of bankruptcy protection within 60 to 90 days. By comparison, the judge overseeing Chrysler's case approved the sale of its assets to a group led by Italy's Fiat in just over a month. Some industry observers think Chrysler could emerge as early as this week.

During Monday's hearing, GM attorney Harvey Miller stressed the magnitude of the case and the importance of moving GM through court oversight as fast as possible. He noted that the automaker only has about $2 billion in cash left.

"If there's going to be a recovery of value, it's absolutely crucial that a sale take place as soon as possible," Miller said in his opening statement.

The automaker wants to sell the bulk of its assets to a new company in which the U.S. government will take a 60 percent ownership stake. The Canadian government would take 12.5 percent of the "New GM," with the United Auto Workers union getting 17.5 percent and unsecured bondholders receiving 10 percent. Existing shareholders are expected to be wiped out.

U.S. Judge Robert Gerber moved swiftly through more than 25 mostly procedural motions during the automaker's first-day Chapter 11 hearing.

Gerber set GM's sale hearing for June 30, putting it on a path similar to that of Chrysler. Objections are due on June 19, with any competing bids required to be submitted by June 22.

Gerber also gave GM immediate access to $15 billion in government financing to get it through the next few weeks, and interim approval for use of a total $33.3 billion in financing, with final approval slated to be ruled on June 25. The funds are contingent on GM's sale being approved by July 10. Gerber also approved motions allowing the company to pay certain prebankruptcy wages, along with supplier and shipping costs.

The sheer size of GM makes it a more complicated case than Chrysler.

GM made twice as many vehicles as Chrysler's 1.5 million last year and employs 235,000 people compared with Chrysler's 54,000. GM also has plants and operations in many more countries, meaning it will likely have to strike separate deals to navigate the bankruptcy laws of those places.

Henderson said GM has learned a few things by watching Chrysler's case.

"Certainly the court showed that it can address 363 (sale) transactions in an expeditious fashion," Henderson said at a news conference Monday. "Particularly in our case with what will be a very large 363 transaction."

GM's filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection is the largest ever for an industrial company. GM, which said it has $172.81 billion in debt and $82.29 billion in assets, had received about $20 billion in low-interest loans before entering bankruptcy protection.
Unread 06-02-2009, 04:37 PM   #16
vett boy

Name :
vett boy has disabled reputation

I hope the Chinese chock on Hummer.Hummer isn't my kinda vehicle anyway ,I just hope the American public does a back lash .
vett boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2009, 06:54 PM   #17
floridaZ

Name :
floridaZ has disabled reputation

Guess it means no buying Hummers ever.
floridaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2009, 08:41 PM   #18
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaZ View Post
Why? Because it's not made here?

Hell, the Camaro isn't "made here" either and they sold the daylights out of them

We need to stop all the "made in America" crap. It's simply no longer a valid statement

Quote:
Now the REAL question is whether the actual manufacturing of automobiles within the USA will die and that vacuum will be filled strictly by imports.
It's doubtful that scenarion will ever come to fruition. But a lot of the truly "high end" automobiles (excepting the GT40 and ZR1) are made outside the USA anyway.

Those that can afford a vehicle will find a way to get one. It simply opens the doors for the likes of Factory 5 Racing and such to manufacture "new" cars for those wanting a "new American Made" car

Quote:
Which, of course, raises the question of with all the jobs being eliminated by the death of the USA automobile industry, along with all the other industries destroyed by cheap imports and outsourced labor, WHO is going to be left in this country that can AFFORD to buy a new car any longer?
Have you prices some of those "cheap imports" lately?

Sure, I got the college kid edition becuse it fit my needs. And there will always be a need for that low end, entry level vehicle.

On the other hand, look at the 350Z's, the Infinities, and some of the other high performance "rice" on the market.....These feckers are not "cheap." Nor are they cheaply made.

GM could have taken a ferw lessons had they not been so arrogant!

The simple fact is, GM did what it did to itself!!! They brought this on the auto scene and as we said in many threads previous to this, the bail out wasn't going to nor did it work!

They took "out" (taxpayer) money, turned around and laid off a boat load of employees and then filed for bankrup[tcy. Well at tleast they're not TOTALLY STUPID!
Our government sure is though!

Out sourced labor is a hot button for me, but again, as it pertains to the auto industry, they did it to themselves.

Quote:
in other words, that vacuum might not really be that all that strong as the demand fueled by the financial ability to buy a new car may have evaporated too much.
Either you want a "new car" or you don't.
There will always be a demand for new. Maybe not what it was, but it'll be there all the same.

And lets not sell the American workers down the river just yet. We're a pretty resilient bunch, at least those that want to be.

Thos in the auto industry can turn thier attentions to the aftermarket, performance, and marine industry. The Americans have always managed to find wirk when they wanted to.

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2009, 08:57 PM   #19
gmjunkie
Corvette,GM Classic Freak

Name : I'm Not Post'n in BOI
gmjunkie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaZ View Post
I've not had to buy a Hummer for many,many years!!
Unread 06-02-2009, 08:59 PM   #20
Ms. AntiVenom
Vicious Evil Person

Name :
Ms. AntiVenom will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmjunkie View Post
I've not had to buy a Hummer for many,many years!!
o lordie

Website
------------------------------------------------------
Ms. AntiVenom is offline   Reply With Quote