The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Classifieds and Commercial Sponsors > Classifieds - Corvettes, Parts & Accessories

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Classifieds - Corvettes, Parts & Accessories Sales | Wanteds | Sources | Advice For Buying or Selling

Unread 12-04-2006, 03:19 PM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Buying from out of state?

What sorts of wrinkles are involved when buying a car from out of state and having it shipped down here? I'm curious about the sales tax situation. If I were to go out of state and buy it in person, paying the sales tax THERE, is that better or worse then buying it remotely (assuming I don't pay the sales tax in the state it is purchased in), and then paying during registration here?
Unread 12-04-2006, 03:39 PM   #2
Nytro
Delta House Member

Name :
Nytro is on a distinguished road

You will only pay the sales tax in the state where you register the car. When I lived in Mass I bought my car in New Jersey, I sent them a check, they sent me the C.O. I registered it in Mass, flew down and drove it home.

www.adamspolishes.com

Authority forgets a dying king
Nytro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2006, 05:17 PM   #3
Rich Z

So if I buy the car and have it shipped here, then I simply pay the tax HERE when I register it? I already have the tag that came off of my Jeep to slap on a new vehicle.
Unread 12-04-2006, 05:21 PM   #4
thebeepster
truth seeker

Name :
thebeepster has disabled reputation

The friendly tax collector for the county you live in will nail you when at the time you register the vehicle and apply for tag transfer
thebeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2006, 05:26 PM   #5
Rich Z

Yeah, you have NO idea how it is going to gripe me to have to pay nearly $3K just in taxes......
Unread 12-04-2006, 08:34 PM   #6
2Vettes

Name :
2Vettes is on a distinguished road

Geez, my memory is going....but I want to say when I flew up to Georgia to pick up my new '04, I wrote the check for the Florida sales tax that day. I had taken my tag with me but I couldn't put it on. I had to use the temp tag until the Florida registration was mailed to me. They did all the foot work for me. Piece of cake.
Unread 12-04-2006, 08:51 PM   #7
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
ynkedad will become famous soon enough

Is It as good a deal to buy out of State with the sales taxes being what they are?
I mean to say... if the car costs 30k (out of State) then you have to pay several "K" for taxes jumping it up to 33 + or - "K". Wouldn't it be easier and more cost effective, to just purchase a car within the State where you reside, if the price, including tax is in the same ball park?
It just seems funny to me how people, lets say from Michigan buy out of State from lets say FL. where they found a great deal. Then, people from FL buy from lets say Michigan, where they found a great deal! I Dunno! Isn't easier to go to "local" dealers and show them the out of State price you've found, and see if they'll deal? or is that also part of the process?
Unread 12-04-2006, 09:07 PM   #8
2Vettes

Name :
2Vettes is on a distinguished road

Ray, when I was shopping for my vette no one in Florida would deal. They wanted every penny they could get for their inventory. I think Maxie Price and the bigger corvette dealers were cutting prices to sell more of the C5's so they could increase their allocations for the C6's. This was January 2004. Anyway, it worked for me. So, I still paid Florida tax but at a lower amount since the car was cheaper.
Unread 12-05-2006, 01:37 AM   #9
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynkedad
Is It as good a deal to buy out of State with the sales taxes being what they are?
I mean to say... if the car costs 30k (out of State) then you have to pay several "K" for taxes jumping it up to 33 + or - "K". Wouldn't it be easier and more cost effective, to just purchase a car within the State where you reside, if the price, including tax is in the same ball park?
It just seems funny to me how people, lets say from Michigan buy out of State from lets say FL. where they found a great deal. Then, people from FL buy from lets say Michigan, where they found a great deal! I Dunno! Isn't easier to go to "local" dealers and show them the out of State price you've found, and see if they'll deal? or is that also part of the process?
So far it doesn't appear to be working out that way. There are two Chevy dealers in Tallahassee, and neither of them are what you would consider as volume stocking dealers. Not much to choose from, unfortunately. So I would at least have to drive out of town. Most likely closest place to find a Chevy dealership would be Jacksonville, I'm guessing. Which is a 3 hour drive away. So even at that, it is going to be even a modest pain in the butt taking delivery. Orlando is a 4.5 hour or so drive as is Tampa.

Since I prefer finding something on the lot rather than ordering one (I think pricing would be more flexible that way), where are some larger Chevy stocking dealers within say a 5 hour drive radius? How flexible is Ferman with pricing? At the show, we didn't see all that big of a selection of Corvettes there. Has that changed?

I had someone offer $1K under invoice so far. But I have no idea where they are located at this point. Was just an email with an offer.

Heck I am open to any and all suggestions.....
Unread 12-05-2006, 06:28 AM   #10
Gannet

Name :
Gannet is on a distinguished road

There are 4 or 5 dealers in the country who compete with each other to sell new Vettes at seriously low prices. Any of these stores will go thousands under sticker. I was seriously considering an '06 before I decided I liked the C5s better, so I looked into this. Kerbeck in New Jersey is the biggest and usually the cheapest (slightly). Les Stanford in Dearborn is another. The closest to us of the discount group is Maxie Price in Georgia, although there was some recent unhappiness with them and they got kicked off CF as a supporting vendor.

Go to Corvette Forum and go to the C6 Dealer Inventory forum. This is where the forum sponsor dealers post their stuff. Also check Kerbeck's website. It will give you an idea of what you should be paying. Right now is a good time to buy an '06. Many in inventory, and '07s have a price increase.

If you already knew all this...nevermind...

Z06s are finally at MSRP or below. Maybe you should get her one so she can keep up with your STS?

Last edited by Gannet; 12-05-2006 at 10:40 AM.
Gannet is offline   Reply With Quote