The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > General Corvette Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Corvette Discussions Just general "shootin' the breeze" types of discussions related to Corvettes.

Unread 01-31-2010, 03:27 PM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default The ultimate "boy toy" - BendPak Lift

Just had this installed on Friday. Need to get power hooked up, maybe this upcoming week...

Unread 01-31-2010, 03:49 PM   #2
VetteHeadz

Name :
VetteHeadz is on a distinguished road

Very cool Rich!
Unread 01-31-2010, 05:47 PM   #3
Bob K
Deceased

Name : Bob Korreck
Bob K has disabled reputation

Damn, can I move in with you? Please. How many Vettes do you have? That's a 'man cave' for sure.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2010, 07:13 PM   #4
zzzona

Name :
zzzona has disabled reputation

Very Nice Rich....When are you opening up shop?

zzzona is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2010, 08:20 PM   #5
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzona View Post
Very Nice Rich....When are you opening up shop?

Shop?

No man, this is just for me to play with. Just putter around with minor stuff on my own vehicles, like oil changes, and cleaning places on the cars I can't get to otherwise. I'm just not interested in doing mechanic work any longer.
Unread 01-31-2010, 08:21 PM   #6
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
Please. How many Vettes do you have?
Just two. Actually more like just one now, since my C5Z has been living in Blountstown for the last few months.
Unread 01-31-2010, 08:31 PM   #7
Bob K
Deceased

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Just two. Actually more like just one now, since my C5Z has been living in Blountstown for the last few months.
Sounds like the Z is on it's way to recovery. What do you plan on doing with the engine you're taking out? Not to imply I want to buy it but just curious.

About 10 yrs ago I had a 502 Ford built. Bored and stroked 460. Took about 2/3 weeks and cost me about 6K. Everything seemed to be going your way until the bad parts came in but I was surprised at how long it was taking. You are building an exotic engine compared to what I did. What is the average time it takes for a shop to do this? I'm just curious because all of this is new to me. I don't want anyone to try and read between the lines because there's nothing to read.
Unread 01-31-2010, 08:55 PM   #8
Rich Z

Quote:
Sounds like the Z is on it's way to recovery. What do you plan on doing with the engine you're taking out? Not to imply I want to buy it but just curious.

About 10 yrs ago I had a 502 Ford built. Bored and stroked 460. Took about 2/3 weeks and cost me about 6K. Everything seemed to be going your way until the bad parts came in but I was surprised at how long it was taking. You are building an exotic engine compared to what I did. What is the average time it takes for a shop to do this? I'm just curious because all of this is new to me. I don't want anyone to try and read between the lines because there's nothing to read.
If you will read that thread concerning the 427 build from start to finish, you will see all the omens that seemed to be trying to tell me something about that engine. Right after the engine showed up at Chris's shop I got sick, then Chris got sick, then his grandfather passed away, then Keli's grandfather passed away, then a late hurricane took aim on us, then Chris finding the intake manifold bolt problem, having ALL the mounting brackets needing to be heavily modified to bolt to the block, then perhaps having an issue with the size of the primary tubes on the headers I have, and lastly the crack I found. There might be more things I have missed. No, this was NOT normal by any stretch of the imagination. Just the cards REALLY seemed to be stacked against us with that engine, and I finally just threw in the towel and said I don't want to fight with that engine any longer. And we NEVER even got to the point where it was cranked over yet. So who the heck knew what might happen at that point?

As for the LS6 laying in the floor of the shop, that is going to be my failsafe. If I get a bunch of bad omens with the new motor, then I will bail on this engine build completely and have Chris just clean up that LS6 for me and I'll stick with it until it gives up the ghost. I will know defeat when I see it slapping me so hard in the face.

Once (if?) the new motor goes in without a hitch, I'm not sure what will be done about the LS6. We were going to put it into Connie's Silverado, but I may have gone over budget with all the odds and ends I had to do with my own car along the way. But in any event, I'll just cross that bridge when I get there.
Unread 01-31-2010, 10:06 PM   #9
Bob K
Deceased

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
If you will read that thread concerning the 427 build from start to finish, you will see all the omens that seemed to be trying to tell me something about that engine. Right after the engine showed up at Chris's shop I got sick, then Chris got sick, then his grandfather passed away, then Keli's grandfather passed away, then a late hurricane took aim on us, then Chris finding the intake manifold bolt problem, having ALL the mounting brackets needing to be heavily modified to bolt to the block, then perhaps having an issue with the size of the primary tubes on the headers I have, and lastly the crack I found. There might be more things I have missed. No, this was NOT normal by any stretch of the imagination. Just the cards REALLY seemed to be stacked against us with that engine, and I finally just threw in the towel and said I don't want to fight with that engine any longer. And we NEVER even got to the point where it was cranked over yet. So who the heck knew what might happen at that point?

As for the LS6 laying in the floor of the shop, that is going to be my failsafe. If I get a bunch of bad omens with the new motor, then I will bail on this engine build completely and have Chris just clean up that LS6 for me and I'll stick with it until it gives up the ghost. I will know defeat when I see it slapping me so hard in the face.

Once (if?) the new motor goes in without a hitch, I'm not sure what will be done about the LS6. We were going to put it into Connie's Silverado, but I may have gone over budget with all the odds and ends I had to do with my own car along the way. But in any event, I'll just cross that bridge when I get there.
I had read the entire thread on your build so I know all of the problems you and Chris have had. I have read about other builds and it seems like months instead of weeks is the norm and I was just curious how long it would take if there weren't any major glitches.

I know you had other work like the drive shaft done also. I'm guessing that these builds are almost a side job for the shop because they need to take care of the daily customers who need minor repairs and maybe some tuning. I'm also guessing that is their bread and butter. See why I ask questions? I do way too much guessing.
Unread 02-01-2010, 12:17 AM   #10
Rich Z

Quote:
I had read the entire thread on your build so I know all of the problems you and Chris have had. I have read about other builds and it seems like months instead of weeks is the norm and I was just curious how long it would take if there weren't any major glitches.

I know you had other work like the drive shaft done also. I'm guessing that these builds are almost a side job for the shop because they need to take care of the daily customers who need minor repairs and maybe some tuning. I'm also guessing that is their bread and butter. See why I ask questions? I do way too much guessing.
Yeah, there was other stuff going on. New fuel system, the turbos needed to be rebuilt, new transmission and diff, new flywheel & clutch, new bushings for the suspension, new braces and supports for the drivetrain, etc., etc.....

Not really much left to replace on the car as far as the engine and drivetrain is concerned...