The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > General Corvette Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Corvette Discussions Just general "shootin' the breeze" types of discussions related to Corvettes.

Unread 07-13-2010, 08:28 PM   #1
Curacao
Island in the Caribbean.

Name : Timothy Halley
Curacao is on a distinguished road
Default Corvette Production May Come To Lansing

Could the Corvette soon be made in Lansing? Well, some say there is reason to believe so. Last week we told you about GM's 190 million dollar project that may bring 600 jobs to one of its current cities, possibly Lansing. Some think the project might include transferring production of the Corvette from Kentucky to the capital city.

The Corvette- could it soon come roaring into Lansing? Maybe, but UAW President Mike Green says his plant is prepared for anything.

Mike Green: "Anything's possible."

Green says that's because the Grand River plant is a state of the art facility that's easily adaptable.

Mike Green: "Corvette or Camero or Buick, ya know, there's a lot of different product lines you can run."

But what the Corvette and the Cadillac, currently produced at the Grand River plant, have in common is rear wheel drive, a feature produced by only two plants in North America right now. That's something Economist Jim Luke says could play a major role.

Jim Luke: "It's fairly expensive to keep a plant alive just for 1 car or 1 platform."

And the Corvette plant in Bowling Green, Kentucky is doing just that. It's running one shift and making just one car.

Green says his plant is the place to do it.

Mike Green: "With ours you're looking at one of the newer plants that's been built in North America, so it would make sense."

But whether it's the Corvette or not., Green hopes the project comes to Lansing.

Mike Green: "You bring it and we'll build it, and we'll build it with quality."

Because any new product will certainly help drive Lansings' future. Corvette would give Lansing two top end lines added to the Cadillac for sports car and luxury, but GM has built the Corvette in Bowling Green, Kentucky for the past 20 years and isn't saying whether this new project has anything to do with the Corvette or any other product. The city of Lansing doesn't expect to hear GM's final decision for another couple of months.

Source: http://www.wlns.com/Global/story.asp?S=12798125

-----
Curacao is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 08:08 AM   #2
shakedown067
Sinister C4

Name : Eric G
shakedown067 is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately, that makes way too much sense. I'd hate to see it, as the NCM is across the street from the current factory, but that's no reason to keep a starving plant alive.
shakedown067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 09:48 AM   #3
vett boy

Name :
vett boy has disabled reputation

As long as the car remains in production with the US boarders I don't care.
vett boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 11:41 AM   #4
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

I hope they figure out how to do a better paint job on the cars..... The orange peel is ridiculous on this level of automobile.
Unread 07-14-2010, 11:51 AM   #5
shakedown067
Sinister C4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
I hope they figure out how to do a better paint job on the cars..... The orange peel is ridiculous on this level of automobile.
What, you don't like to wet sand your car for 16 hours after you drive it home from the car lot?
Unread 07-14-2010, 12:15 PM   #6
als2052
Road Trip!

Name :
als2052 is on a distinguished road

Thats absurd...they just made the Corvette the official state car in Kentucky and now they are going to pull a Lebron James on Kentucky...there will be alot of pissed off people if this happens...As for what is made where, I am sure that 75% of the Corvette is manufactured outside US...It just gets assembled here...

Why not build the Camaro In Bowling Green also?
Unread 07-14-2010, 12:41 PM   #7
shakedown067
Sinister C4

Quote:
Originally Posted by als2052 View Post
Why not build the Camaro In Bowling Green also?
Personally, I don't think they'll move it quite yet unless they've got something else up their sleeve. Of course if they are predicting corvette sales to stay where they are for quite a while, they may not have a choice in the matter. I also don't think the Bowling Green plant is currently equipped to run more than the corvette. It'd probably be cheaper to close the plant and use the new facility than try to upgrade the bowling green plant.
Unread 07-14-2010, 01:07 PM   #8
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

I understand that the new Caprice will be rear wheel drive also, even though it is a "Police Only" option available starting in 2011 IIRC. Perhaps they will build it there and, if they are smart, develop similar rear wheel drive platforms that the public would be interested in buying. Ford is shutting down production on the Crown Vic Police Intercepters and the replacment is going to be a (FWD)Taurus, so only Dodge (Charger), Chevy (Caprice), and newcomer Carbon Motors will be the only rear wheel drive Police Cruisers of the future.

If the link below doesn't work for you just copy and paste it:

www.autospies.com/tag/Police-Car
Unread 07-14-2010, 01:09 PM   #9
Mark Dalton

Name : Mark Dalton
Mark Dalton has disabled reputation

If this happens, would the BG employees have to move to Lansing to keep their jobs or would they just be SOL?
Mark Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 06:05 PM   #10
vett boy

Name :
vett boy has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dalton View Post
If this happens, would the BG employees have to move to Lansing to keep their jobs or would they just be SOL?
Based on seniority they probably will (if this happens) be able to relocate.Remember they have cut a large amount of jobs from BG already.

I've met a lot of the people personally and I can tell ya that they really appreciate the customer.Great people.
vett boy is offline   Reply With Quote