• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

When did you buy your first vette ?

2Vettes

So, how and when did you come to own your first corvette?
My husband bought his first one, a '91 coupe as part of his mid life crisis back in the early 90s. We joined the corvette club and took a trip to Key West in a caravan of 23 corvettes. I fell in love with the cars...all of them. I didn't want to be the passenger, I had to have my own. We got back to town on Sunday and Monday after work I was at the dealership and brought home a
'92 black coupe. We've been a 2 corvette family ever since. I kept the '92 as a daily driver until 2004 when I sold it to buy my current vette.

1976. I drove a VW bug in college and have always wanted a vette. A salesman friend of mine brought it home and asked if I wanted to take it for a spin. I never rode in a vette and I was hooked and still am. I have owned a vette ever since ,here is a picture of my first with my father who at that time was 46 I am now 7 years older than my father in that pic. Time goes by fast.
1976.jpg

I ordered my 1975 Corvette convertible in November of 1974. It didn't arrive at the dealer until May 1, 1975. I still own it. It currently has 13,000 miles, and is a certified Bloomington Gold Survivor. It still has its original hoses and tires! Wanna see a picture of it? Well, it's been photographed for 5 books so far. Just check the photograph section in the back of any Corvette Black Book. That's my 1975. I took that picture myself right by the river in Ft. Myers.

75survivor said:
I ordered my 1975 Corvette convertible in November of 1974. It didn't arrive at the dealer until May 1, 1975. I still own it. It currently has 13,000 miles, and is a certified Bloomington Gold Survivor. It still has its original hoses and tires! Wanna see a picture of it? Well, it's been photographed for 5 books so far. Just check the photograph section in the back of any Corvette Black Book. That's my 1975. I took that picture myself right by the river in Ft. Myers.
I know who you are!! Glad you stopped in. Why not go on up to the welcome room and introduce yourself to the membership? :welcome:
Linda

naples said:
1976. I drove a VW bug in college and have always wanted a vette. A salesman friend of mine brought it home and asked if I wanted to take it for a spin. I never rode in a vette and I was hooked and still am. I have owned a vette ever since ,here is a picture of my first with my father who at that time was 46 I am now 7 years older than my father in that pic. Time goes by fast.
1976.jpg
Great pic and story, Alan :yesnod:

Posted this on Rich's "What do you do for a living?" thread.

MADN3SS said:
I've slowly had to work my way up to a Vette. I've wanted one for a long time and I'm elated that I'm finally in a position to afford one. I kinda backed into it a little though. Totalled my Camaro SS last year. The woman that I hit was at fault and her insurance paid off my car and then a little extra. They even paid the sales tax on the value of the Camaro to go towards whatever I bought. And a partial amount of repairs I had just done. USAA=great insurance. :thumbsup:

:cool3: My 1st and only so far is a artic white 98 coupe :hurray: .I have tried back in the day to purchased severals but was always shut down bye the wife.:ack2: She ownly agreed to buy the vette if she could use it as a DD.That lasted about 3weeks we ended up buying her a DD :dancer01: for her and the Vette became Mine.:hehehe:

Well, it all started back in 2003 when the 03 Cobra Mustang came out. I bought one. But after about 20 trips to the dealer(clutch problems, trannie problems, and array of other problems), I drove to a Chevy Dealership and traded my modified Cobra(450 rwhp,485rwtg) in on a 2004 lemans blue C-5vette. I was dissapointed with the overall lack of power(even after headers,exhaust,blackwing coldair intake) the car had for the price. Then the C-6 came out and like everyone else, it took a bit to get used to the new body style. I ended up test driving a white C-6 with red interior and Auto trannie. I...I didn`t want to return it. However while I was out Test driving the white demo,I passed a truckload of brand new C-6s headed o the dealership. And would`nt you know it,they had a Lemans Blue 3LT mn6(non Z51) on the truck that was not spoken for. Well, I drove it home that night.
:vette: http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o27/RushThruLife/P1010006.jpg

Wow..

Some great stories and history!:thumbsup:

Me, Just bought my 1st Vette back in September. We bought a mini van for my mother in law that need to be checked out by the service dept. While there waiting, I couldn't help myself, I just had to look at the Vette's.
We had been looking around for an older Vette for some time, but I wasn't comfortable sitting in them.:nonod: We had actually lost all hope for ever owning one!

Anyway, I assumed we'd be disappointed once again, but to our suprise the 2005 had more room. I wound up taking it for a spin thru town and was Amazed, as well as intimidated by the power!:eek:
We went home, and all I could think about that evening was the Vette.
That next evening the dealer called us, and the next thing I knew we were THERE, trading my F-350 king Ranch in on a Vette.:dancer01: :yesnod: :dancer01:
Several weeks later, we were CA. bound (in the Vette) via Rt66 and Hwy50
having the time of our lives!

LIFE IS GREAT!:thumbsup:

~Ray

I have two brother in laws that I have to thank. One is a member of this site. Once they had theirs in their garage all it took was a test drive and 13 months later, I found my 05.

quite by accident. When into dealer to see if they had any information of the new Colorado pickup and the C6. Saw a new machine silver c coupe and the wife and I said to the sale person to work up the numbers. The gave us $6K more then we owed on a '02 Monte and the rest is history.

BTW, this gave my brother in-law (als2052) the itch and 13 months later ....

In 1984 I opened up three video stores. Now seeing that this business was a cash business I figured I would buy myself a nice car, so I figured I would fly down to Florida, visit my folks who lived in Largo and buy myself a midyear and drive it home. I remember looking at The Toy Store at a big block 67 but like all the rest of the cars they had it was in tough shape. I looked for ten days and two days before I was to leave I saw an ad in an auto hunter type of magazine for a 66 over at Treasure Island. As it turns out the 19 year old that owned it also owned a Kawasaki motorcycle and had gotten so many tickets the court ordered him to sell both vehicles to avoid jail. I bought it for $9100.00, registered it and drove it home to Mass. then I restored it. Still have it, love it. Bought it with 55,000 miles on it and it just turned 70,000.
66_vette_6.JPG

Nytro said:
In 1984 I opened up three video stores. Now seeing that this business was a cash business I figured I would buy myself a nice car, so I figured I would fly down to Florida, visit my folks who lived in Largo and buy myself a midyear and drive it home. I remember looking at The Toy Store at a big block 67 but like all the rest of the cars they had it was in tough shape. I looked for ten days and two days before I was to leave I saw an ad in an auto hunter type of magazine for a 66 over at Treasure Island. As it turns out the 19 year old that owned it also owned a Kawasaki motorcycle and had gotten so many tickets the court ordered him to sell both vehicles to avoid jail. I bought it for $9100.00, registered it and drove it home to Mass. then I restored it. Still have it, love it. Bought it with 55,000 miles on it and it just turned 70,000.
66_vette_6.JPG

15,000 miles in 22 years?! That's crazy! Including the 1,500 or so miles to Mass. from here? I'd probably put 15,000 on that car in a year. Especially here in Florida.

..... when I was 11, my dad bought a new '71 Impala Custom Coupe (you know the one..... with the concave back-window? ) at a local dealership, and I went-along when he picked it up:
in the service bay was a new Corvette, stickering for $7xxx.....

2 years later, my dad is selling shiverlays part-time for the same salesman, who now has his-own dealership in another town, and I am tagging-along in the evenings, washing and detailing customers Corvettes for them, always thinking one-day, I'd own my own.....

6 years later, I'm still washing cars evenings and weekends for my dad's buddy, and I bought a '79 Z28 brand-new (I still have it, and it runs 12-eighties @ 105 MPH, with just 26,000 miles on the clock )
2d912746.jpg

with the thought-being my 'next' car would be a Corvette.....

21+ years-later, my best-friend tells me to be 'on the look-out for a nice C3, 'cause I wanna buy one.....', and I am taking my pooch outside to do-her-thing, when the lady across the street from me (an under-cover/narcotics State trooper ) is washing this gorgeous Black '82:
I jokingly holler at her "are you so poorly-paid you gotta start detailing cars in the driveway part-time?"

Always very private, she 'invites' me over to look at the car, saying she'd owned it for 8+ years (I'd never seen it in all those years, living directly-across from me!!!!! ), but would be selling it, as she never had time to enjoy it anymore:
knowing I still have a lotta racing-buddies, she asks, "do YOU know of anybody who'd like this car?"

I walk-around the car twice as she holds my pooch's leash, poking my head in the open driver's-side window, and see the odometer reading "11,137" , so I ask her if it is original, and about documentation:
it's original, and she has all the papers on the car, so I am immediately torn between telling my buddy, and keeping it for myself

(turns-out, he'd bought a 1977 L-82 with 24,000 miles a few days earlier )

Finally, I say, "Yeah..... I know somebody who'll take it....." , without even asking the price:
"I WILL!!!!!"

She says, "Don't you want to DRIVE it..... the rattle, they ride rough, they're NOT like a new car....." , almost talking me OUT-OF buying it from her, but my mind was set:
I would give her $15,000 after she got-back from a 6-week 'job' across the state.
;)

Before signing the papers, she made me 'agree' that I wouldn't cut the car apart and make a race-car out-of it:
since she coulda kicked yours AND my ass without breaking a sweat, I sheepishly agreed.....
:shrug01:

6 weeks later, my now 'EX'-wife left me, and to say I 'got-depressed' would be an understatement:
my neighbor, never-married, and I chatted some, and I even took her for a few rides in 'her' car.

2 years later, I met my current fiancee, but my neighbor was diagnosed with cancer throughout her entire body, and her body, once like a Marine, shriveled-up and died:
her sister asked if I would attend the viewings and funeral services, as a friend of the family (in a lilly-White neighborhood, she was of-color ), but we did even better than that.....

we DROVE the Corvette to the funeral home, and to the local State Police barracks, where her 'formal' funeral took-place, and a picture of 'her' Corvette was buried with her that day.
:yesnod:

It's been over 4 years since she's been gone, and I think she 'knew', all-along, that I'd be racing 'her' car one day:
BERNADETTE and I have began competing in both Florida-based Corvette Challenge Series.

HPIM2448cropped750KB.jpg

Scott, I haven't driven the 66 much in 22 years, but I sure have enjoyed every mile I have.

Not to jack the thread but I have to comment on USA-1's signature. I grew up in the northeast and have a few friends who ran at New England Dragway. I believe I was at the annual funny car meet that the picture depicts in your sig. Larson was a great Northeast racer. I have a very good friend who originally ran the Dodge Fever A-100 wheelstander Rich Travers. I have a way cool video that Rich put together from the old days. I went to New England Dragway the first day it opened. Remember this Larson car ?

usa-1.jpg

Back