• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

427 engine (part 2) - RHS block

Well, this really doesn't come as any surprise after the length of time it has been unhooked, but the AC compressor is dead. He's going to take it to an AC guy he trusts to have him do the work. That will take place tomorrow. At the same time he's going to check that thermostat and if it's not a 160 in there, he will put one in for me.

Aaron is going to fabricate the parts needed to hook up the front sway bar, so that should be done today.

I'm waiting for the meteor to hit my car any day....

Unfortunately, the dead a/c compressor really isn't that surprising. If that wasn't well sealed up when it was unhooked; a ton of moisture could have gotten in there and corroded all kinds of parts. FL is known for very high humidity levels. Hope you have this machine back at home soon and putting on some good fun local miles. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, the dead a/c compressor really isn't that surprising. If that wasn't well sealed up when it was unhooked; a ton of moisture could have gotten in there and corroded all kinds of parts. FL is known for very high humidity levels. Hope you have this machine back at home soon and putting on some good fun local miles. :thumbsup:

Yeah... It was just laying on the floor at Harwood's shop the entire time my car was there, and he didn't do anything about sealing up. Just had it underneath the table with all my parts on it. Interestingly enough, he just vented the freon into the atmosphere when he disconnected the compressor from the plumbing. I thought shops were supposed to capture the coolant.... :shrug01:

Yeah... It was just laying on the floor at Harwood's shop the entire time my car was there, and he didn't do anything about sealing up. Just had it underneath the table with all my parts on it. Interestingly enough, he just vented the freon into the atmosphere when he disconnected the compressor from the plumbing. I thought shops were supposed to capture the coolant.... :shrug01:

yes they "Legally" should have had a machine recover the refrigerant. EPA frowns highly on venting it to atmosphere. 134a is not as bad on the atmosphere as R12 is....

BTW when did Harwood do anything by the books?

yes they "Legally" should have had a machine recover the refrigerant. EPA frowns highly on venting it to atmosphere. 134a is not as bad on the atmosphere as R12 is....

BTW when did Harwood do anything by the books?

YEAH, he screwed up by the books, and that's probably it.
Andy Anderson :wavey:

Nope, not going to be getting the car back this week after all... :shrug01:

Aaron told me today that he found that the coil on cylinder #3 had gone bad, so he replaced it. But he's still got an intermittent blinking CHECK ENGINE light problem that isn't setting any codes that he is trying to figure out. He thought replacing the coil would have solved that problem, but apparently not. Even with the CHECK ENGINE light blinking, the engine is running smoothly with no misfires so he's not sure what is causing the light to blink.

Jim Smith will be up in Thomasville again early next week, so hopefully they can track the problem down.

Maybe you'll get her back for Christmas! I do have to admit, every time I get an email notification that you posted in this thread, I've got to stop what I'm doing and tune in. This thread is worse than a soap opera. I don't know what I'm going to do when you finally get your car back.

Yeah, I'm hoping that my hair will stop turning gray and falling out on me.... :lmao:

Aaron called me this evening and said he'd been talking to some people about this latest issue with my car and the consensus seems to be that those new MSD coils I bought may be the problem. Possibly the whole batch of them are crappy and the one on the #3 cylinder was just the worst of the bunch that had a hard failure. Wouldn't surprise me to find that the rest of them are failing intermittently. I checked around and sure enough, a LOT of people are having problems with failures of those MSD coils. Well, that's just great...

Figures, I gave my stock coils to another guy who had his vanish while his car was at Harwood's shop (must be a Freudian slip, but I swear I always type in "chop" when I try to type "Harwood's shop"), so if those MSD's are the culprit I'm going to have to spring for new coils too.... STOCK GM units this time around. I just dug into my wallet this week to shell out nearly a grand for that AC work.

Dammit..... I swear, every time I think things are looking up, a bird is flying overhead dropping a dump on me.

will MSD or whoever sold them to you refund your money? what about send them back and get a replacement set, then put them on Ebay and try to get some money back out of them....

will MSD or whoever sold them to you refund your money? what about send them back and get a replacement set, then put them on Ebay and try to get some money back out of them....

Unfortunately, with the long time involved in this entire mess, the warranty period has LONG, LONG expired....

Somehow, I just don't think the old saying "NO NEWS IS GOOD NEWS" applies in this case...... :nonod:

I heard a rumor that once Aaron gets my car out of there, he's putting up a gate on his driveway........

I heard a rumor that once Aaron gets my car out of there, he's putting up a gate on his driveway........

I thought you were going to say you went up to Aaron's and he had moved, and your car was the only thing left where his shop used to be....:lmao:

I thought you were going to say you went up to Aaron's and he had moved, and your car was the only thing left where his shop used to be....:lmao:

Actually, that wouldn't surprise me, neither. But fortunately his house is right next to the shop.

Hmm, I haven't heard from him today, neither, so maybe his phone has now been disconnected. But I guess I need to call him tomorrow anyway. Seriously, though, I feel like I am then ASKING for bad news. Been more than once I called him or he called me and he told me he had bad news and just put off calling me, hating to have to tell me the news.

I just KNEW I shouldn't have cleaned out the spot in the garage....

Back