• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

Love bugs

Hopefully, with the lack of rain, they won't be as bad as usual. So far, here in north Florida, they haven't been much of an issue. But there are enough bugs out at night to make up for them!

O Ive got to try that!

My problem is not hitting the love bugs, but when the car is parked they like to roost on it for some reason, like right now its parked behind the shop and there are hundreds of love bugs hanging out and partying on it

BTW 3 customers with white cars are also complaining of the same thing

and of all the cars out there mine is the only one being hung out on

Actually the local news is saying that they are bad because there's been no rain. They should go away as soon as we get some rain.

Well, I've heard that lovebugs are actually attracted to the color white for some reason. So your car is a lovebug magnet.... lucky you...:ack2:

Actually up here in north Florida, they haven't been bad at all. The wife and I took a drive to Apalachicola and back and I had only a single bug splattered on the front. Not even sure it was a love bug. That was driving along the coast on route 98 at typical Corvette speeds.

I have noted that the Mosquito Magnets aren't catching many skeeters any longer. I think the dryness has put a crimp in their population. Not to mention the HUGE amount of them the magnets captured over the last couple of months.

But man the plants are looking pretty distressed. The dogwoods are actually howling.......

Anyone...

know the actual function/purpose of love bugs?
I hear theories etc, but nothing too convincing.
Personally, I think it's to sell car care products:D . Yep, someone decided to create these lovely little critters to drum up business:hehehe: .
Seriously though... Love bugs, Blind Mosquitos etc. wtf:banghead: ? Outside of trashing vehicles and ruining picnics, what is their purpose?:confused:

~Ray:wavey:

I believe they just ARE. Kind of like asking what is the purpose of human beings.

I read somewhere that they tend to lay eggs and have larvae in grass and grass roots. Sod farms and the selling and transporting of sod has probably been greatly responsible for their widespread distribution....

Well, as long as you don't exceed 50 mph, you shouldn't have a problem with them squishing against your car.

That reminds me, I need to put another coat of Rejex on the front.....

Bugs

ynkedad said:
Personally, I think it's to sell car care products:D . Yep, someone decided to create these lovely little critters to drum up business:hehehe: .
Seriously though... Love bugs, Blind Mosquitos etc. wtf:banghead: ? Outside of trashing vehicles and ruining picnics, what is their purpose?:confused:

Ray, I had the same thought awhile back. I think that some huge corporation is behind it to sell more car care products. Thats it my man, you have seen the light and the light was a giant neon 3M sign.

Joe B.

I sell car care products and I think love bugs suck! Although lucky for me I have about 4 different products that remove them. You have about 24-36 hours to get them off your car or you will be painting it. The acid from the Luv bugs body will eventually eat its way thru your clearcoat. When the car sits in the sun it will accelerate the time you have to remove them. Hey, Ray
Brown Royal diluted 6:1 will take them off your car and wont hurt the clearcoat.:thumbsup:

Joe- Flash

ynkedad said:

I think Parrots eat them and Fruit!!!:D

Flash man said:
Hey, Ray
Brown Royal diluted 6:1 will take them off your car and wont hurt the clearcoat.Joe- Flash
Thanks for the tip Joe :thumbsup: . I'll be cleaning them off as soon as the weather clears up.

~Ray

Learn something new every day...

I didn't know they've been around that long either (in FL since 1949). I was one of the one's who thought the University of FL developed them.:bigear:

~Ray:thumbsup:

ynkedad said:
I was one of the one's who thought the University of FL developed them.:bigear:

~Ray:thumbsup:

Then the paper on Lovebugs, from the University of Florida, should be taken with a grain of salt.:shrug01:

Eric

Back