The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > The Ranting Room

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

The Ranting Room Got a gripe about life? Want to sound off about the unfairness of the universe? Does something just REALLY piss you off? Well, come on in and talk about it!

Unread 02-17-2009, 01:49 PM   #1
shakedown067
Sinister C4

Name : Eric G
shakedown067 is on a distinguished road
Default The PS3 has turned into a POS

Don't know how many of you own PS3's, but watch out. If you don't already have an external cooling devise, get one quick. Otherwise you too could be stuck with the dreaded "#80010514 ERROR." Which is the death of your Blue Ray player. If it's under a year old, sure they'll warranty it, if not you are looking at another $140. They kindly pickup and ship back your PS3 though.

So I now have a $500 oversized paper weight and nothing to play my blue ray movies. Sad thing is this is a growing epidimic and Sony wants nothing to do with it. I'm curious as to how long till they are forced to do a recall or get hit with a class-action lawsuit.

Thanks for letting me rant...every little bit helps.
shakedown067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2009, 04:19 PM   #2
chris308
spam sniper

Name : Chris Huff
chris308 is on a distinguished road

Great...

My gf just got me the 80gig one for xmas. Mine is sitting in a pretty open entertainment system stand. What do you suggest for an external cooling rig?
Unread 02-17-2009, 04:52 PM   #3
shakedown067
Sinister C4

Maybe something like this. I really haven't looked into it yet since the only thing I can do with mine is play the games i've downloaded. And to really ad flame to the fire, plain DVD's still work, just not blue ray's. Just ticks me off to no end. You may even want to shoot sony an email asking how to avoid the 80010514 ERROR. I'm hoping the more people ask about it and talk about, the more us screwed folk might get taken care of properly.
Unread 02-17-2009, 05:08 PM   #4
LS2POWA
Team Afterhours Member

Name : Corey Metz
LS2POWA is on a distinguished road

That sucks, weird though. Ive constantly put 6+ hrs of play on my 60gig when Im on it. It gets warm, but mine sits on a stand right by an open window so I guess thats what keeping it alive.

I think those intercoolers are a gimic. I have one on my 360 and I did the heat test with a infrared gun and yeah that spots that were supposed to be cooler werent.

Just for precautions use a can on air on the console every so often, buildup of dust on heat sinks arent going to help with cooling the console. Keep the console in a free open area, not a open cubby in a entertainment center.
Unread 02-17-2009, 05:42 PM   #5
shakedown067
Sinister C4

Yeah, mine was in a very well vented area and I rarely used it more than two-three hours. If you google PS3 80010514 ERROR, you get a ton of hits dating back to April of 2008. Looks be increasing as of late too. Will probably try to get a hold of a manager at sony tonight. I'll ask about cooling and preventative measures for you guys.
Unread 02-17-2009, 08:55 PM   #6
LS2POWA
Team Afterhours Member

I remember back when I had to call my 360 in for the red ring of death. The first question they asked is if I was using a Intercooler, I told them no and they said good otherwise we would have to void your warranty. If you are asked to give your serial number per console and they ask about it, I'd say no as well and ask them if there's anything you could use that wont void it. More then likely Sony will be like the nitwits at MS and tell you the only way is to keep it in a well ventilated area. Think one day Ill throw it in my fridge take a pic and ask them if thats an o.k method for cooling during intense gameplay haha.

Best of luck with the manager...or whoever claims to be the manager.
Unread 02-17-2009, 09:55 PM   #7
floridaZ

Name :
floridaZ has disabled reputation

I've got a 40 gig, and my sister and father have left it on overnight after watching a movie with no issues. Never had it shut down or even feel more than slightly warm to the touch. The console is supposed to shut down if the heat levels start getting near dangerous levels, I wonder if some flaw with that is what causes it to fry the BluRay player? Then again, I thought that PS3 games were written in BluRay format...

If it makes any difference, my PS3 is on it's side (tower) rather than on it's bottom (bridge). That could make a difference since more surface area is exposed to "fresh" air.
floridaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2009, 09:59 PM   #8
chris308
spam sniper

Name : Chris Huff
chris308 is on a distinguished road

I have been reading up on the issue and it seems to be hit or miss....
Unread 02-17-2009, 10:00 PM   #9
LS2POWA
Team Afterhours Member

The PS3 should have a 8hr inactivity shut down option by default.
Unread 02-18-2009, 07:23 AM   #10
shakedown067
Sinister C4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris308 View Post
I have been reading up on the issue and it seems to be hit or miss....
Yeah, I was there too. Just wanted you guys to be aware of the issue. Mine was left on once over night and I've never felt the unit get even remotely hot. Mine sits up as a tower as well. Looks like it's time or fluke gets the blue ray player...and yes the games are blue ray as well. I can't play blue rays or PS3 games. Only games that I have downloaded right now...which I've only played the PS3 once since having this issue.

Good luck to ya'll, home none of you have to deal with this BS.