The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > Events and Happenings

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Events and Happenings Shows | Cruises | Parties | Swap Meets

Unread 10-07-2009, 06:32 AM   #1
floridaZ

Name :
floridaZ has disabled reputation
Default Planning a meet, gauging interest

Okay, so my local Z club is planning a meet. Obviously. We were asked by the Moose Lodge in Winter Haven if we would want to have a car show there and we agreed. So we are shooting for November 14th, or the 21st. We haven't decided for sure yet which day but we are leaning towards the 14th to be further from the Turkey Run and Thanksgiving. It's not just a Z meet, so we're seeing if we can get the local classic car people interested, the Stang guys etc. Would be running it from 10am-5pm.

We are thinking that to enter a car in the show the admission would have to be around $5 (because the Polk Z owners are cheap bastards). We weren't originally going to charge but if everybody who showed up entered their 91 Grand Marquis then that would suck. Anyway, we were thinking of doing a raffle for those who enter their cars for a portion of the money taken in from people registering. Once we cut off entry for the show cars, we'd have a vote for People's Choice Best of Show, and award a trophy to whatever car gets the most votes. This is our first time orchestrating a meet of this type so if anybody with some experience would like to post or PM some advice or suggestion then I am all ears.

As for food, the Moose Lodge would be taking care of that. Apparently they have good prices for food, drinks, and alcohol so we'd be taken care of. And yes, I said alcohol. That part may not be the best idea at a car show, but whatever... I've noticed a certain fondness here between Vette owners and alcoholic beverages, though beer seems to be widely accepted as the universal social lubricant.

I looked at the calendar and it looks like there are meets going on for both the 14th and the 21st; so how many people would be able, and more importantly willing, to come to this meet? I'm trying to get the details finalized this week so we can get fliers to pass out at other meets maybe. The Lodge also needs a ballpark figure on how many people to expect so that the kitchen is properly staffed and supplied.
floridaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2009, 09:32 AM   #2
floridaZ

Name :

It's definitely the 14th now. We've actually got quite a bit of interest from people on this; got a Shelby Cobra, 68 Camaro, and a crapload of other cars coming. I'd like to not be the only Vette there...

Anybody?
Unread 10-11-2009, 04:34 PM   #3
ironhorse
Road Warrior

Name :
ironhorse is on a distinguished road

I would come up there from Port St Lucie...
ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2009, 05:19 PM   #4
Bradzvette
PW Pimp, keeper O' 'da thread

Name :
Bradzvette is on a distinguished road

I'll check with my Posse members and see if there is any interest.

May want to reconsider the alcohol though, legally the lodge or whomever is the sponsor would be on the hook for anything related to consumption issues possibly. Either way good luck with this.
Bradzvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2009, 01:17 AM   #5
floridaZ

Name :

Just thought I would post up, I've got a flyer I will be scanning and posting tomorrow. Anyway, it looks like we'll have a pretty good meet going. Got quite a few cars going, the most impressive of which is a 1000hp Camaro.
Unread 10-21-2009, 09:18 PM   #6
floridaZ

Name :

Quote:
The car show is coming together. So, far have about 50+ cars coming including:

(15+) Datsun/Nissan Z cars
1000HP Camero
V8 S10 ( ran a 5.2 sec 1/8 mile)
1957 Corvette
DeLorean (maybe)
1964 1/2 Mustang Convertable( original owner with 6x,xxxx miles)
1965 Mustang Fastback with removable hard top
1965 Mustang Convertable
1950 Chevy Pickup
1954 Mercury truck
Chevelle
Shelby Cobra
68 Camero
(3) Monte Carlo SS ( 2 are Euro body)
67 ElCamino
70 Elcamino
72 Elcamino
68 Barracuda
84 Corvette
Cadillac XLR
Cadillac Allante ( 43,00 original miles)
67 Mercury Cougar
Car club from haines city bringing 8+ cars that I don't know what are yet.
List of current cars that will be coming.

Last edited by floridaZ; 10-21-2009 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Adding promised flier
Unread 10-22-2009, 09:45 AM   #7
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2009, 05:10 AM   #8
floridaZ

Name :

Well dang, three things different from what I expected from this meet. First, I wasn't able to get work off that day, and start at 4pm. So I'll have to leave early (2:30-3:00 at latest). The second is that the transmission doesn't like the new crank in the Z so it probably won't be running in time for the meet. And the third is that I was wrong about the 50 cars coming.

The good news is that the last point, increased. Ronnie (guy who co-founded my Z club and is the go to guy for this meet) is estimating 150 cars. Also, there will also be a fashion show or something inside the actual lodge so... well, the Lodge is providing people to redirect traffic for parking, show cars, etc. So fortunately that will be their problem. I think we will have enough space.

We've also got several vendors that will be setting up booths, off-roading truck shop, tint shop (that might be doing on site tinting), audio shop, exhaust shop that did a turbo-back system on my friend's 86 turbo, and I'm going to talk to the place that did my ceramic coating and see if they want to set up a booth... and a couple other places I didn't talk to, so I don't remember.

A little late to post this, and I just didn't realize that I hadn't already until now... if anybody would like to set up a booth at the show, it's free and all you need to do is call Ronnie (number on the flier). He wants vendors to show up around 8am to they can have the booths set up before the cars in the show rally in numbers. As we will try to surround the show area with the vendor booths for better advertisement, easier for show goers to view the products, etc... Again sorry for the late notice.