• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

C3 Lookinh for a good C3 BB distributer

What is ment by "run the O rings" ? I've heard it before but have no understanding of it.

Traci would this unit fit under the original coil/dist cover and would I need to add the power pack that goes whith these critters?

:shrug01:

Hey Ken,

Not sure whether you just want to replace your OEM distributor for an aftermarket one for more performance, or whether you are having problems with your original distributor. If you are interested here is a link to the RSS Feed that had an article on rebuilding the stock tach drive distributors.

I hope this helps.

Rich

http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?p=111625

Easy to rebuild your original.....if you want send it and I'll do it for you. The aftermarket one will not fit under the original shielding.

O-rings keep the oil to the upper end. All new aftermarket ones have the grooves, if you need I cut them in the old ones on the lathe and add them. Keeps oil pressure from bleeding past the dist shaft and starving the lifters/rockers.

O-rings keep the oil to the upper end. All new aftermarket ones have the grooves, if you need I cut them in the old ones on the lathe and add them. Keeps oil pressure from bleeding past the dist shaft and starving the lifters/rockers.
Pictures...........I need pictures! Could you post a picture or two on what you're talking about? I think I understand what you're talking about with the o-rings, but I would appreciate a couple of pictures to be sure. Maybe a with and a without????? Thanks guys, I'm always trying to learn and this site has a BUNCH of good teachers!:yesnod::thumbsup:
Andy :wavey:
Don't listen to what vett boy and junkie say..........I am NOT too old to learn new tricks!:lmao:

100_1576.jpg

This shows a stock unit and a Mallory billet unit. The dist is driven by a gear on the cam, and the bore that the dist sits in passes through the oil galley for the cam/lifters/rockers. A stock unit just fits (see the lower journals) snug but still allows oil & pressure to bleed off. The aftermarket units have groves machined in that allow O-rings to seal so NO oil pres.flow bleeds off and all goes to the cam/lifters/rockers.

Kap, send me your dist & I'll turn it around quickley for you.:thumbsup:

That's what I thought you were talking about, THANKS FOR THE PIX! I like the billet units, but cutting the grooves in a stock distributor sounds like a very good idea to me. You can't see the mod, but it's one that helps the motor last a bit longer, and that CAN'T be bad. I don't think that any judges pull parts off of the cars when they are judged, so it probably wouldn't matter anyway. Hey Ken.........I can hear Goldie all the way up here saying "WOW I really like the looks of that billet unit! I sure would like to snuggle up to one of those!" GO-4-IT!
Andy :wavey:
Easy for me to say...........I ain't footin the bill for it! :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Hey Tracy,

You may still have my original distributor laying around the shop some place (oh durn that's right you guys moved) When you worked on Goldie back when you swapped out mine for one you had on the shelf from another project. my tach drive was shot and time was limited, if not no biggie. I can pull it and ship it to you without problem. I pulled it a few weeks ago to put a pertronix unit in and just didn't like the condition of the machined area you show in the photos for Andy. I like the idea of the machining and groves.

Let me know what will work for you and I'll get it to you.

Thanks Tracy

100_1576.jpg

This shows a stock unit and a Mallory billet unit. The dist is driven by a gear on the cam, and the bore that the dist sits in passes through the oil galley for the cam/lifters/rockers. A stock unit just fits (see the lower journals) snug but still allows oil & pressure to bleed off. The aftermarket units have groves machined in that allow O-rings to seal so NO oil pres.flow bleeds off and all goes to the cam/lifters/rockers.

Kap, send me your dist & I'll turn it around quickley for you.:thumbsup:

Back