The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 08-15-2010, 02:37 PM   #1
kip younger

Name :
kip younger has disabled reputation
Default Differential Yokes

My 77' is still squirmy in the rear end, moving from side to side under normal driving conditions. All the bushings are good. Someone mentioned that the yokes can suffer wear, and move in and out of the differential too far, thus allowing the rear end to move back and forth. They also mentioned that wheel bearings can also be an issue.

My question is concerning checking on both. I assume, that jacking up the rear end, and trying to "shake" the rear wheels, like you might check the ball joints on the front, is how I would check the bearings??? Will there be visible signs of the yokes being worn? Or do I need to remove the half shafts, and try to see if the yokes then have the ability to move in and out - and is there supposed to be some movement here??? I know that changing the yoke will be expensive, and very much a royal pain... I want to do whatever I can to make sure they need changing. thanks much - kip
kip younger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2010, 05:11 PM   #2
RevXtreme 1
www.revxtreme.com

Name : Tracy Lewis
RevXtreme 1 has disabled reputation

It so sounds like control arm bushings...or the wheel bearings. Are you sure it's from the rear & not steering box/rag joint/tierod ends/pitman/idler arm? Get it where you can put it on a 4 post lift so you can shake the car side to side to see just where the play/movement is. And BE safe! Make sure the lift is secure & secured.

Keep us posted.
Unread 08-15-2010, 07:38 PM   #3
kip younger

Name :
kip younger has disabled reputation
Default yokes

Thanks for the reply. When you mentioned "control arm bushings" are these going to be the same as strut bar bushings? If so, the strut bars are new and thus the bushings good. As far as being in the front... I didn't really think of that, only because it "feels" like its in the rear. I replaced the front bushings, ball joints and such a year or so ago, but I don't know about the steering box, or the rag joint - hmmmm??? It didn't dawn on me that if these areas are weak, it could possibly feel like the rear being lose. There is some play in the steering wheel, not alot, but some. If I can't figure this out, I guess I'll have to break down and take it somewhere, and maybe try the lift idea. It does a bit scary. This is not something that I would try with jack stands... very scary! Again, thanks for the reply. Kip
kip younger is offline   Reply With Quote