• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

C5 Oil out the tail pipes

chris308

spam sniper
Noticed the rims of my exhaust tips are coated in oil or what looks like oil. i'm pretty sure it's not soot and condensation... definitely feels oily.

where should i start looking for the cause? will a catch can help?

Noticed the rims of my exhaust tips are coated in oil or what looks like oil. i'm pretty sure it's not soot and condensation... definitely feels oily.

where should i start looking for the cause? will a catch can help?

Have you pulled a spark plug to see what it looks like?

Haven't done anything really; it's usually dark when i go to work and dark when I get home; no garage. I will have to wait till the weekend to do anything.

Just wanted to get some ideas first. Thanks for the first thing to look at.

My LS1 based Z28 used to get the same thing, but the plugs looked fine.
You mentioned that you do not have a garage. Neither do I as long as the daughter and grandaughter are here.

It seems the condesation, mixed with the soot from a heavy foot, led to the build up.
It too felt greasy and oily.

Just my experience.

My LS1 based Z28 used to get the same thing, but the plugs looked fine.
You mentioned that you do not have a garage. Neither do I as long as the daughter and grandaughter are here.

It seems the condesation, mixed with the soot from a heavy foot, led to the build up.
It too felt greasy and oily.

Just my experience.
Be my guess too!~!!:thumbsup:

I agree on the soot theory especially if your trips too and from work are less then 5 miles. It takes a long time to get the exhaust system up to temperature. Here were I live we have not been above 20 degrees for over 2 weeks and I have black oily spots on my garage floor under the exhaust tips.

I agree on the soot theory especially if your trips too and from work are less then 5 miles. It takes a long time to get the exhaust system up to temperature. Here were I live we have not been above 20 degrees for over 2 weeks and I have black oily spots on my garage floor under the exhaust tips.

Yep, I had the same oily spots on the cement under the tailpipes, when I'd idle cold for a while.

If you car close to Tampa give me a call I will look at it for free. I would bet if the car has been running fine then it is, as they say, soot mixed with water looking like oil.. My 06 has tons of soot and condensation but only out the inboard exhaust pipes. That happens to be the straight through pipes:)

I would be happy to help you or anyone on the forum when I am in town. I own S&R Performance but I am also gone out of the country 14 days a month.

Jeff, (813) 309-2696

That's a very generous offer Jeff, thanks a lot!:thumbsup:

The car does run fine, just concerned when i saw the tips...

If you car close to Tampa give me a call I will look at it for free. I would bet if the car has been running fine then it is, as they say, soot mixed with water looking like oil.. My 06 has tons of soot and condensation but only out the inboard exhaust pipes. That happens to be the straight through pipes:)

I would be happy to help you or anyone on the forum when I am in town. I own S&R Performance but I am also gone out of the country 14 days a month.

Jeff, (813) 309-2696

I knew you were a good guy when I met you Jeff. If you or any other member ever needs something over towards Palm Bay all you have to do is holler at me.

Bob

321-258-2999

Back