The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > General Corvette Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Corvette Discussions Just general "shootin' the breeze" types of discussions related to Corvettes.

Unread 12-11-2011, 09:28 AM   #1
grumpyvette
retired mech engineer

Name :
grumpyvette has disabled reputation
Default is it just me?

IS it just me or do you guys also have neighbors or acquaintances, that it seems would rather be skinned alive,with a razor, rolled in salt and slowly lowered into a wood chipper than take the time to read the linked info on how to do something, or do the simplest research on a problem, or do the actual work on their own cars?
I had a neighbor recently come over a few weeks ago asking how to do something rather simple but a bit time intensive that was well within his ability's, (replacing his oil pan and oil pump) I explained what he needed to do, brought him in to my shop, showed him a link with part numbers,on my lap top, for the required gaskets and pictures of the parts, and sent him the link on his computer, gave him the phone numbers where he could buy the parts locally or on-line cheaply, and told him Id help HIM do the job by supervising and pointing out every step, required while he did the work,and even help if he got really stuck during the process, but I also pointed out that it was really not that difficult, just a bit messy and time intensive,and if he HELPED, AND supplied lunch and coffee, or paid $50 and purchased all parts required, he called back asking several times for the same basic info, I had the feeling he was really just trying to get me to do the work or find someone to do the work for free,, now I have zero problem helping out, most guys but I know from experience that this guy won,t even buy lunch, will complain if a job takes more than a couple hours, let alone pay a minimum hourly rate for work, or just slip me $50 for doing what any dealership would see as a $500 plus job, and its on a corvette that doesn,t even have the cross member in the way and I know this guy has the tools,basic skill , jack stands and floor jacks etc.
honestly if the guy was just willing to get his hands greasy or supply hot coffee and conversation and make a run and buy any required parts, and spend some time on a mechanics creeper under his own car, Id most likely jump on the opportunity to help out..., but when you hand a guy the link listing the parts and explain the process several tiimes in detail, and the guys both not willing to buy the parts and offer to at least help in the process or slip you a few bucks for a couple hours work and acts like buying parts, researching what needs to be done or even be involved in the repair process is beneath him,to the extent hes not even willing to hand you tools and buy lunch.....IS it just me or would you tell this guy to take a hike?

vaguely related threads

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/...php?f=32&t=459

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/...ting+your+head

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/...+stands+safety

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/...uctance#p18037

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/...php?f=80&t=728

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/...hp?f=32&t=6011
grumpyvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2011, 10:52 AM   #2
als2052
Road Trip!

Name :
als2052 is on a distinguished road

Those type of people do not deserve what they have...
Unread 12-11-2011, 04:21 PM   #3
mickeystoysz16
I have stripes

Name :
mickeystoysz16 is on a distinguished road

That sucks. Some people are just inconsiderate. I understand that kind of help and when someone does I at least ask if there is anything I can do to repay them. Usually that question alone is enough thanks that they will not accept.

For your original question of anyone in my neighborhood like that. I must be lucky. My neighbor to my right has a three car garage and is full of yard equipment, shop tools and almost a complete wood shop building his own furniture. The guy directly across the street is an shop manager at the local custom audio shop working on cars for local wealthy and sports figures. In addition he is custom building a dually pickup. The entire rolling chassis is either, painted, polished, or chromed. This project is not even completed and has already won more awards than completed cars and is just back from showing at SEMA without the body! They guy down the street has two custom choppers, and last weekend was putting a new cat back exhaust on his wifes Mustang. Further down the street there is a guy that has a very nice black Plymouth Prowler. Then there is me with the Z16 and an short bed SS v-8 pick up.

I guess I could call my subdivision the Hot Rod Hood.
2004 Z06 Corvette Z16 Commemorative Edition #770
2004 Silverado LS 5.3L SWB
1969 Camaro SS RS 396/350HP TH400

Members I have met:
LEJ_ZO6, JCB_NJB, als2052, Phil @ Tampa Tuning, Riceman, C5CHICK, Kap142
mickeystoysz16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2011, 06:16 AM   #4
gmjunkie
Corvette,GM Classic Freak

Name : I'm Not Post'n in BOI
gmjunkie is on a distinguished road

Got the same problem here...............

Happens to me all the time Grumpy,I even get 8-10 calls a day sometimes people wanting me to drop what I'm doing and come look at there problem! Then when I get there they want to BUTCHER It,Just so they can ride NOW!~!!
2 weeks later all of a sudden it's my fault and they Don't like the "I told you so"!

I've just got so I don't answer the phone and they can leave a message,I'll call when I get done with a paying customer! If they won't leave a Message,It's obviously not important to them,So It's Not Important enough for me to check calls on the caller ID!~!!

Last edited by gmjunkie; 12-12-2011 at 06:54 AM.
gmjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2011, 07:24 AM   #5
grumpyvette
retired mech engineer

Name :

yeah! its unfortunate but theres far too many people like that! lent out 4 of my 3 ton jack stands to a guy, I knew who was on the next block over, i went to get them back a week later only to find he had moved out of state!
Unread 12-12-2011, 03:24 PM   #6
shakedown067
Sinister C4

Name : Eric G
shakedown067 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I've gotten where I don't help out many people car wise unless they are GOOD friends. It sucks but it seems like you end up doing all the work and they barely thank you for it. My neighbors are great about borrowing tools though. Have helped out a lot lately in that department.
shakedown067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2011, 10:34 AM   #7
grumpyvette
retired mech engineer

Name :

OH! YEAH! I especially like the guys that come back with totally unrelated problems months or even years latter,

"the old you worked on the car three years ago replacing a head light , for me, now the dealer wants $3200 to replace my busted transmission and its all your fault logic!"

or the old, "I backed the car in the lake launching my boat, now the engine won,t start, its obviously because you did an oil change for me last year logic"

loosely related thread

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/...ghting+correct

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/...g+parts#p11560
Unread 12-14-2011, 03:27 PM   #8
Cor66Vette

Name :
Cor66Vette has disabled reputation

Yo, "grumpyvette"- Sounds like you need to surround yourself with some new, or at least different type "car" people- or people in general.
Cor66Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2011, 04:11 PM   #9
grumpyvette
retired mech engineer

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRestoredRoadster View Post
Yo, "grumpyvette"- Sounds like you need to surround yourself with some new, or at least different type "car" people- or people in general.
THATS RATHER OBVIOUS , I wish I had a few neighbors that were still into cars but it seems that as guys age, and have older wives many get out of hot rodding and cars
Unread 12-14-2011, 05:21 PM   #10
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Hell, I'm 61, and I am just now getting back into this. Involuntarily, of course, but nonetheless.....