• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

Atlantic tropical storm development - Late August, 2019

Rich Z

Internet Sanitation Engineer
Staff member
Or lack thereof...

I was checking in on Ventusky today to see if anything was developing that might be a concern in the near future and noticed something rather interesting.

It looks to me that what used to be normally storms coming off of the African coast into the eastern Atlantic, developing into tropical waves, and sometimes strengthening into more serious matters is being blocked for the near future.

Take a look -> https://www.ventusky.com/?p=26.3;-57.4;3&l=rain-3h

Interesting, eh?

I've never seen something like this at this time of year before. Normally you could see those tropical waves coming off of the African coast one after another, just crossing your fingers that they won't develop into a hurricane that comes barreling down onto the USA coastline somewhere.

Not to say something can't blow up directly in the Gulf of Mexico or anywhere in the western Atlantic, however.

At least I got my standby generator working, finally. Just in case.

I check a couple times a week the hurricane center .So far it has been duck soup and caviar .The locals say not to get comfortable because September October can hammer the west coast pretty hard .

I am prepared with both supplies and optional evacuation routes .

Gives me great confidence in the fact some insurance claims have not been settled from Katrina

Heck, I would suspect that some insurance claims from hurricane Charley in 2004 are still in litigation. Or the people filing the claims just gave up and paid out of pocket rather than foot the bill for the attorney fees they would need to pay. IMHO.

Well, I've got the standby generator fixed, so I don't have to worry about the freezer thawing out while we bail out somewhere more weather friendly. It's got 35 percent of a 500 gallon tank of propane left, so it should last for several days as needed. Of course, if we got a direct hit from a cat 5 like Mexico Beach did, it really wouldn't matter much.

After seeing what happened to Mexico Beach, I've got no interest in riding out a storm. Anyone who stayed in those houses to tough it out most likely had parts of their body scattered over an acre or more.

Was serious about a house in Marathon just before the seven mile bridge .The Realtor called me and said it wasn't there anymore .I don't know if that was a blessing or not .

I sure wouldn't want to be on the Keys, or own any structure on it, during a major hurricane passing through. There is nothing there to weaken a hurricane enough to matter. Storm surge could completely wash over every island there.

Will insurance companies even cover any home there?

I sure wouldn't want to be on the Keys, or own any structure on it, during a major hurricane passing through. There is nothing there to weaken a hurricane enough to matter. Storm surge could completely wash over every island there.

Will insurance companies even cover any home there?
At the time there we're two companies that would provide coverage .I've bought ,sold and flipped four properties on a poppers scale over the past fifteen years .My goal is to locate in the mid keys hopefully on a hill.

Heck, is there anywhere on the Keys that would not be underwater with even a 10 ft. storm surge?

Heck, is there anywhere on the Keys that would not be underwater with even a 10 ft. storm surge?
Yes ,the parking garage off Duval st ,2nd floor .

Hell I'm 8 feet here in Ft Myers .We wear life jackets when we go to the movies and sit up high .

Hurricanes are a hazard for most of Florida and the Keys are certainly not the best place to hang out during a cat 5 .Every time I go down I am amazed at the structures that we're built in the early 1900's and are still standing .

We are at 23 ft. elevation here in Wakulla County, and about 15 miles or so from the Gulf of Mexico. Mexico Beach is a mere 65 miles to the west of us, so it wouldn't have taken much of a jog in tracking for hurricane Michael to have been a real problem for us.

That was the first time I have been watching a hurricane track and forecast and had my spider sense tingling about being somewhere else when it made landfall.

I see a TS Dorian in the western Atlantic, but according to Ventusky it should dissipate sometime Tuesday night.

I don't think it is really anything right now. Wind speed to be categorized as a tropical storm is 39 mph. I'm only seeing a max of 27 mph on Ventusky. There is no notable drop in air pressure there, and if not for some small storms in that area, you would never notice it at all as anything noteworthy.

I think the *fake* media is desperate for evidence that "global warming" is going to destroy the world so they can implement all the government controls they want to in order to claim they are "fixing" that problem. This year's hurricane season is just not cooperating with them.

The Ventusky modeling is showing Dorian not dissipating until Thursday night now. Subject to change without notice.... :rolleyes:

But any sort of tropical storm landfall looks pretty remote, anyway. At least from that storm. But the models are showing quite a messy first week of September in the northeastern Gulf of Mexico.

Well, so much for that Ventusky modelling.... :thumbsdown: Dissipate my butt.....

Now it looks like they are forcasting Dorian to come on up to around St. Augustine on Sunday (09/01) afternoon and then just ride on up the coast until it goes inland in Georgia in the early AM hours of Tuesday (09/03). So Labor Day weekend isn't looking to be real fun for folks in that area.

It will keep going more and more north and i won't see anything from this. No rain in a week and it is dry again.

Back